PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Light Comes On Only When Stopped

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2021, 08:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Light Comes On Only When Stopped

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser Turbo with over 108k miles. I've replaced many, many parts on this beauty over the decades and it still runs strong!

But recently, the oil light will come on when I'm stopped and the chime goes ding, ding, ding, real fast. As I start to go, the light goes off and the chiming stops.

Oil is good and new, and I'm not getting any error codes either.

Do you think it's a good start to begin with replacing the oil pressure sensor?

I have a new TIPM, clock spring, radiator, timing belt, head gasket, shocks, struts, bearings, and just about everything BUT, I don't have any record of replacing the oil pressure sensor. At least this will be a lot less expensive than replacing the oil pump, but I believe the oil pump is original as well.

Thanks for your replies as always!

Frank
dougs and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 24 Feb 2021, 09:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Light Comes On Only When Stopped

The oil sending unit was one of the first things I changed on my 2007 turbo convertible because it was leaking. I don't have your issue, but sometimes it doesn't register quick enough during a cold start and the oil light comes on. I kill the engine and restart and the light is gone. I believe this has to do with it being an aftermarket sensor. I don't remember the brand.

If I had your issue, and if I'd already tried new oil and a new filter with no luck, I'd swap out the senor with a new Mopar brand sensor.
dougs likes this.
Old 24 Feb 2021, 11:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had a leaking sender a while back, I replaced it with an AutoZone brand one and it's been fine for 4 years, 50k miles.
Old 01 Mar 2021, 05:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your replies! I'll replace the sensor and will report back.

Cheers!

P.S. I had a typo... my PT actually has just over 180,000 miles.
Old 01 Mar 2021, 01:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yup!
Waiting for that follow-up.
I would have thought sensor, or just weak oil pump.
(Which could even be a loose belt to the pump.)

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 22 Mar 2021, 07:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

So I know how much we hate it when there's no answer to a problem but...

So the car sat for several weeks and when I finally had the time to take it in to my guy to replace the oil presser sensor, the battery was completely dead.

For full disclosure, the battery is only a year old but it has been getting weaker as I only drive the car once a month a best. So consequently, the battery hasn't gotten re-charged on a regular basis over the past year (I could tell that whenever I started the care, the battery was a little weaker).

So I used my 40 amp Black & Decker battery charger, and it took about 5-6 hours for the battery to be completely charged.

After a full charge, I start up the car and of course, the oil light does not come on. I let it run for 15-20 minute parked and still, the oil light remains off (it was coming on only when stopped at a light, parking, etc.).

One week later, I start up the car again, drive it around town for 5-10 minutes, and the oil light remains off while both parked and driving.

Could a very weak battery have caused the oil light to come on only when stopped? Again, everything, and I mean everything but the oil pressure sensor, has been replaced on the car over the past 3-24 months including belts, timing belts, TIPM, clock spring, more, more, etc.

Anyhoot, I know we hate it when there's no answer to the problem, but I thought I'd report back anyway.

I'm moving and downsizing and after 180,963 miles, I'm selling my PT. It's been a great ride!

Cheerz!

~ Frank
Old 22 Mar 2021, 09:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The PCM in the PT Cruiser is fairly primitive. It will do strange things if the voltage is too low. It is possible that your issue is due to low voltage. To be exact, my PT has been doing some strange things with system voltage lately. So my issue with the oil light coming on after a cold startup might be voltage related as well.

Hate to read that you are planning to sell your PT. There aren't many PT owners left. But hey, it's been a fun ride.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 22 Mar 2021, 10:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

...and I spoke too soon!

I have experienced oddities with the system with a low battery, so that why I was hopeful this was the case.

The wife mostly drives the car, but i decided to drive it today and after driving for about 15-20 minutes, the oil light came on. But what I realized is when you take you foot off the gas pedal, the light comes on and when to press the gas pedal, oil light turns off.

So I'm taking the car in to my guy this Thursday to get the pressure sensor replaced and I will report back.

Here's to hoping it's just the sensor!

And I'm honestly only selling the PT because I'm semi-retiring in the UK and I won't be able to afford to take it with me!
Old 22 Mar 2021, 11:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The PCM in the PT Cruiser is fairly primitive. It will do strange things if the voltage is too low. It is possible that your issue is due to low voltage. To be exact, my PT has been doing some strange things with system voltage lately. So my issue with the oil light coming on after a cold startup might be voltage related as well.

Hate to read that you are planning to sell your PT. There aren't many PT owners left. But hey, it's been a fun ride.
I still have 2.....lol..oops I need to update that pic...the white one is gone...replaced with a red one

Old 23 Mar 2021, 12:03 pm
Young Cruiser

My oil light started to come on around the 150,000 range when slowing pretty regularly. Now that I'm nearing 400,000, it comes on when it feels like it but not too much. Other than changing the oil or filter, I have not tried to track down the cause.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
390,200 miles as of 3/22/21 '01 PT Cruiser automatic Original (Engine, Transmission, Power Steeering Pump)...3rd Radiator and Fan (with added fan toggle switch mounted inside of car)...3rd Crank Sensor, 2nd Cam Sensor, 3 Timing Belts replaced (1st at 140,000 the 2nd at 345,000 the 3rd at 369,000 due to tensioner fail), 1 Rack and Pinion, 1 water pump at 345,000, 2 alternators - 1 at 345,000 and 1 at 384,000) 4th Watts Link, Serpentine Tensioner at 369,700, New front and rear Brake Calipers at 388,000.