PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission fluid change. Should I do ?

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By rcktpwrd
  • 3 Post By Macgyverman1123
  • 3 Post By Macgyverman1123
  • 1 Post By lrbbs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2021, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission fluid change. Should I do ?

Hello!

I'd like to hear an advise from experienced Cruisers. I have a 2008 Touring (non-turbo) with 153.200 miles. I bought it back in 2016 with 102K miles. Since then I've never changed transmission fluid, and I really doubt if it was ever changed.

The fluid is still redish, although when I put a little on a paper towel, after a while the it become more brownish. See attached photos.

So, there's a lot of controversy if transmission fluid should be changed. I'm all for changing it, but, I'd like to hear if due to my car mileage it would be risky for the transmission. For now it is working ok.

Thanks
Lrbbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tr_01.jpg (67.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg tr_02.jpg (75.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg tr_03.jpg (92.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 21 Sep 2021, 03:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Transmission fluid change. Should I do ?

I would drop the pan and change the filter and the several quarts of fluid that come out...

Be sure to use ATF+4

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 21 Sep 2021, 08:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission fluid change. Should I do ?

Yours looks pretty red/clean, meaning that it is not burnt. If it was burnt, i'd tell you no way, but this looks perfect for changing! Change what you get out of the pan when you drop it. You'll also want to change the filter too, which is just inside the pan. It just snaps in. You might also want to throw a new pan gasket on. These are usually sold as a kit. Make sure you clean out the pan really good, and don't forget to check and make sure the magnets are in before you reinstall!
Carl48, rcktpwrd and lrbbs like this.
Old 21 Sep 2021, 08:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

This video has a great segment on what burnt fluid looks like.

If you fluid is very dark/black, your transmission is a dead man walking.
rcktpwrd, gom39 and lrbbs like this.
Old 22 Sep 2021, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Yours looks pretty red/clean, meaning that it is not burnt. If it was burnt, i'd tell you no way, but this looks perfect for changing! Change what you get out of the pan when you drop it. You'll also want to change the filter too, which is just inside the pan. It just snaps in. You might also want to throw a new pan gasket on. These are usually sold as a kit. Make sure you clean out the pan really good, and don't forget to check and make sure the magnets are in before you reinstall!
Thanks Macgyverman1123 and rcktpwrd for the replies. Yes, I'm planning drop the pan, replace filter and gasket, clean pan and magnet and put everything back on. Then refill with the same amount of fluid, using Valvoline ATF +4.

If everything goes well, I mean, no problem with the transmission, I'm planning to do an entire flush next year. For that I need to figure out where is the fluid return line to the transmission, so I can disconnect and catch the fluid out of it. Any idea which is the best point to disconnect the fluid return line ?

Lrbbs
rcktpwrd likes this.