PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Cruiser leaking fuel near gas tank while the car is on.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2021, 01:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2006 Cruiser leaking fuel near gas tank while the car is on.

I have a 2006 pt cruiser and it starting leaking fuel when you turn the car on. Leak is coming from around the gas tank but I can't see just by looking around where it is coming from. It's a pretty steady drip coming from the rear of the tank. When you turn the car off it stops.

Any ideas what's causing that leak. I want to drop the tank but I also wanted to have some parts ready that might be causing the issue so I can just fix it that same day.
Old 03 Dec 2021, 11:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Cruiser leaking fuel near gas tank while the car is on.

Based purely on the info you listed, this is most likely one of the fuel lines. If it was just a cracked tank, it'd leak all the time. Same thing if it was the filler neck. When the fuel pump is running, there is actually a slight negative pressure in the tank, caused by the suction of the pump drawing fuel out of the tank and pushing it into the fuel system. I must admit I feel stupid not remembering if the Cruiser has a return fuel line or if it's returnless, but I believe it's returnless. I'd grab a new fuel line, or maybe even something generic, if you're feeling cheap. just remember to use actual fuel line, not just run-of-the-mill rubber.