Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP WITH DOOR SPEARS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2005, 06:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default HELP WITH DOOR SPEARS

I just bought door chrome spears from chrysler and to my suprise the instructions shows removing the painted ones that come on the car,but doesn't show how to do it, it also looks like they want you to power sand before installing the chrome ones...has anybody has installed there own ? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP,i will check back in a few days[8)
Old 11 May 2005, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

No need to power sand, as long as your get all the glue residue off before installing the new spears. There's a couple ways of taking off the old spears. You can use a hair dryer (carefully) and heat up the spear working from one end to the other. The heat will soften up the glue behind the spear. Use a wooden instrument to get behind the spear and once it's lifted at the end you can pull the rest of the spear up with one hand while heating the glue with the dryer with the other hand. Another trick is to get strong fishing line and work it up and down behind the spear cutting the glue away from the spear and you work your way from one end to the other. Couple different products on the market to get the residue glue off. One called "Goo Gone" the other is "3M Adhesive Remover" usually found at your neighborhood auto store.
Old 12 May 2005, 05:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

If the original door spears are held on with tape , try a length od dental floss to cut through the tape.
I used this method to remove my chrome grille .Worked like a dream.
Old 12 May 2005, 07:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The "Goo gone" I found in supermarket. Apply generously, let sit, & wipe. Works great.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 May 2005, 10:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Have to agree with javaman. Get some dental floss and just work it behind the spears. The best results happen if you leave the cruiser in the sun for the morning and let the spears get hot. Once they are hot enough, you can really just bend them back with your hand once you get a corner started. This is how I took mine off.....although fishing line may work better since it is strobger, but dental floss worked out well for me. Just don't use a waxed floss.
BigPhil

Old 13 May 2005, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I thank you all,now if i can find time to install Stage 1 Turbo kit its only been in my garage for a year,I am retired and still don't have time,where I ever found time to go to work I don't know, thanks again BOB
Old 14 May 2005, 06:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

One ore thing don't get in a hurry taking them off.
If you go to fast,you can chip the paint or crack the
paint on the spears and or door.Also the chrome covers
work really well .Put them on the wifes cruiser and
they still look good.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)