Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
30K Checkup---HELP!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2005, 01:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 30K Checkup---HELP!!!

Hi, guys, I bought my best beloved 2003 Electric Blue Cruiser (Limited Edition) last July when it had 26K miles. Now, I've just turned over 31K and it occured to me that it was 5000 miles till the factory warranty runs out, and I'd better get this baby in to the dealership for a checkup before that happens.

There've only been two things with this car that seem wrong. 1-the electric side mirror switch has never worked....2-the brakes squeal a LOT. There's also a lot of dust on the front wheels. Well, also the CD player hangs up a lot, but I doubt that the warranty would cover that....would it?

ANYhoo, I always feel like I walk into a dealership and the guy behind the counter gives me a grin that says "hey, here's a dumb broad, she'll believe anything I tell her..." (just because you're paranoid does NOT mean they're not out to get you!). This "five star" Chrysler dealership (the only game in town) once neglected to replace ANY fluids in my other car---luckily I noticed the power steering was nonexistent before I left the lot, or I'd have been driving with no water or oil----but not for long! and then the guys in the garage tried to tell me that it was like that when I brought it in for an oil-change..... see what I mean? :-0

I'd like to be armed with information. I've tried "cruising" the forums, but wow, there's a lot of info out there, and my eyes started to cross. So....

What kind of things should I be concerned about? Are there any big problems related to this model Cruiser? I've noticed some mention of a list of Cruiser problems of which Chrysler is aware....where can I find this? How much should this checkup cost? In short, how can I make sure that everything's okay and any problems don't get ignored because I don't ask about them?

I'm a tough businesswoman, but this is a field in which I have to profess ignorance. And I HATE that! Suggestions? PLEASE?

--Lyn
aka Nervous in Nashville[xx(]
Old 26 May 2005, 04:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

The dealer might try to take you to the cleaners. In the owner book that came with the car there is a list of things to do at 30k. Get a quote from the dealer who will try to add things to it to make more money and because you are a "dumb broad". Get quotes from independent shops who you will probably find will be cheaper.

Haven't heard any problems with the '03 PT except the power steering hose rubbing and possibly leaking and causing a fire. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on this. Don't know if your PT is one of them.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 26 May 2005, 08:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree w/Mean Green. No major problem areas.
Be prepared if you mention brakes to hear them want to have them replaced - the noise may be the wear indicator on the pads saying there isn't much life left - you would do better to find a brake place to do that - get Raybestos Ceramic pads - they work great, last longer, and NO DUST. I think the stock pads are made out of compressed dust. Brakes are NOT covered by warranty, and dealer will put stock crap in.
Your CD problem should be covered by warranty, and definitely the side mirror switch.
Assuming you have an auto (most PTs are) and if you plan to keep the PT a long time, plan to have the auto trans flushed - doesn't have to be now, maybe at 40,000 miles - ask dealer for a price, then compare - but when you compare, they MUST use ATF + 4 or, better yet, ATF + 5. Don't let any other fluid in your transmission.
Other than oil changes, plugs & wires are to be expected, and are NOT warranty. Again, don't let dealer do it as stock wires are crap. Get Crane wires at RaceAndStreet.Com and Champion Double Platinum plugs at NAPA - virtually any mechanic can change the plugs & wires, and you'll have better wires that last longer.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 May 2005, 12:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you so much for the info. I checked the recalls last night, and yes, mine is one of them....

I learned long ago to have non-warrantied repairs done by Leroy, my neighborhood mechanic, who is the scariest-looking yet most dependable and trustworthy fellow I've ever met. He's had the opportunity to charge me out the wazzoo many times. Once I was sure that the transmission was slipping on my old Benz, and he just replaced a sensor...for about $50. That in and of itself is unheard of for a repair on a Mertz! It took me a decade, but I found a good guy.

It's really good to know that the PS, mirrors AND CD player are covered.

Okay, here's my game plan. I'll take it in to Leroy first for an oil change and tuneup, and have him scope it out. Then I'll take my little baby in for very specific reasons and see what they say.

And hey, I'm not as mod-happy as some of you (although in my heart I'd like to be...!), but I've put a picture on my sig so that you can see my cool chrome! I'm debating how to do the grill....

Is the sig too big?

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 26 May 2005, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good gameplan. "tuneup" on the PT is just Plugs & wires...
Have him scope out the brakes, too.[?]
Old 26 May 2005, 01:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon
Assuming you have an auto (most PTs are) and if you plan to keep the PT a long time, plan to have the auto trans flushed - doesn't have to be now, maybe at 40,000 miles - ask dealer for a price, then compare - but when you compare, they MUST use ATF + 4 or, better yet, ATF + 5. Don't let any other fluid in your transmission.
One quick comment about the transmission maintenance - note that Don said "flush". Don't just do a drain and refill. The tranny should be flushed (i.e. cleaned out) and then refilled with all new fluid.

A word about places that can provide the service... I tried to have the transmission flush done at a local Merchants/Tire Kingdom store because of a coupon they were offering. Fortunately, the guy at this branch was honest and knew what he was doing. He informed me that the Chrysler tranny required a special fluid that they did not have and using any thing else may cause problems. He suggested taking it to Chrysler.

When I took my cruiser to the Chrysler dealership for the transmission flush (this dealership is pretty good), the service tech told me about a Chrysler Town and Country van that was brought to them from a different Merchants Auto store. They had flushed the transmission but used the wrong fluid. The transmission started acting really weird shortly after. Merchants had to bring it to Chrysler to get it right. The moral to this story: make sure whoever does it knows what they are doing.
Old 26 May 2005, 05:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Wiz,
I'm not sure if you are considering purchasing an extended warranty for your PT, but here's a heads up: Buy it before your current warranty expires. You have more options now and the cost will be less. Also, be sure that you ONLY buy a Chrysler warranty. Other "off brands" are not the way to go. Shop around for price too, as the cost is negotiable. There are on-line sites available to compare what you can buy it for locally.
GW
Old 27 May 2005, 12:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Ok, others correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the radio is only covered under a one year warranty. Mine died at about 37 months and when I told the guy at Chrysler that it was one month over he said that the 36k mile warranty is only powertrain and that the radio was only covered for a year. They also wanted something like $200 to replace it and it was only the single cd stereo. I ended up getting an aftermarket radio and couldn't be happier.

Old 27 May 2005, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rymanrph

Ok, others correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the radio is only covered under a one year warranty. Mine died at about 37 months and when I told the guy at Chrysler that it was one month over he said that the 36k mile warranty is only powertrain and that the radio was only covered for a year. They also wanted something like $200 to replace it and it was only the single cd stereo. I ended up getting an aftermarket radio and couldn't be happier.
Honestly don't know..... I never went back to dealer on either of my PTs.... but I don't remember hearing any 1 year warranty about anything... Isn't there a choice - shorter "bumper-to-bumper" or longer but minus things like brakes, belts and bulbs? [:I]
Old 27 May 2005, 02:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

The warranty on brakes has been 12 months 12,000 miles for many years. The warranty will cover something like a stuck caliper or bad master cylinder but that's about it. Brakes have always been considered maintenance items.