PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Plastic PT Cruiser Intake Manifold Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2005, 11:37 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2step

This is the intake that is also on the '06 GT that now claims 230 HP. The thinking on the forums is that Chrysler waited 'till '06 to announce the "new" power...
From all that I've read I'm not convinced there is any REAL "new power"--just some marketing hype by DC to help sell more cars! [|)] Auto companies are skilled at making those numbers "look right" so the consumer believes something new has been added to the "new" [:0] models.
Old 06 Jul 2005, 04:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Not sure I would want to get rid of the unique aluminum intake. We are now the "collector's item" if DC has stopped making them.
We just need to port match and have them Extrudehoned.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 06 Jul 2005, 11:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Was reading up on the Z06. It also has a plastic/composite intake manifold. Much better flow. That's good enough for me [?]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 07 Jul 2005, 12:06 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I quess that I would not want to go through all the hassle of removing the manifold just to change the plugs...or just to pull them out to look at them....
Old 07 Jul 2005, 04:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rszappa1

I quess that I would not want to go through all the hassle of removing the manifold just to change the plugs...or just to pull them out to look at them....
Because of questions of heat retention it has been advised to not use the modesty cover and without that you can get to the plugs.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 07 Jul 2005, 04:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[8)]Well....I will have to look into it now...Thaks for the info....
Old 07 Jul 2005, 10:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

I am one of the fortunate owners of the new plastic GT intake manifold. I have yet to install it, but from what I see, I like it a lot. First, access to the spark plugs is pretty much the same. Second, the intake is VERY smooth on the inside. Third, the diverter that was cast in the manifold (look for the oval shaped divot) helps the air flow better to the number 1 and number 2 cylinders, particularly the number 1 cylinder. The number 1 cylinder has notoriously been known to run richer than the other 3 cylinders (check your plugs next time and compare). The leaning out of the number 1 cylinder to a A/F ratio similar to the other 3 cylinders is the primary reason the plastic intake "makes" more HP.

Quote from TurbozCS2003:

"I would bet they went to thermoset plastic for cost reduction.

Also bet they simply put a stg 1 program as the stock program for the 06 GT for the extra HP."

You may be right about the cost savings about the plastic but the new manifold is inherently smoother than the rough cast aluminum. An excellent trade-off, IMHO. The Stage 1 program can't be used "as is" on 2005/2006 PT turbo cars since things such as the after-cat O2 sensor are disabled (a no-no in emissions nazi lands everywhere).

My belief (personal opinion only) is that the GTs with the plastic manifold are making the 230 HP and THAT is the reason why Stage 1 for 2005/2006 cars may not appear. It's kinda hard to justify $430 (MSRP, AutoStick) for a 5 HP gain. However, as we all know, the Touring and Limited edition PTs with the Turbo Lite would respond very well to the Stage 1 PCM. Who knows??

Scott
Old 07 Jul 2005, 11:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Herschel

TurboCruiser13,
Are you saying that a 200- PT Cruiser Turbo with a "Stage 1"
upgrade already on it WOULD'T positively notice a change
switching over to the new "plastic intake?"
Is it more plastic, or more composite? thanks H.
Old 08 Jul 2005, 07:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ElectricBlueGT

My belief (personal opinion only) is that the GTs with the plastic manifold are making the 230 HP and THAT is the reason why Stage 1 for 2005/2006 cars may not appear. It's kinda hard to justify $430 (MSRP, AutoStick) for a 5 HP gain.
Scott
I disagree although I have no firm evidense to back up my beliefs. I think the addition of the new manifold will increase your HP no matter wether your running stock or Stage 1. If they did come up with S1 for 05-06 it would probably be in the 245-250 HP range. My 03 with the new manifold and my current S1 should be similar. I just installed the new manifold last night but haven't driven it yet since I still need to secure the dipstick tube.

I take the car to the track next weekend (July 16-17) and should have a better idea by then...problem is I am installing two more mods by then and will not be able to say which one made the most differance[:I]

Deen
GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 03:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Herschel

So, hyracer,
Any results you would care to share about the "plastic intake?" H.