PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bye Bye wheel bearings

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Oct 2007, 02:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Bye Bye wheel bearings

sorry for digging up an old thread but this is my same exact problem. I love google. I just bought an 05 SRT-4 with 28k miles on it and I was starting to worry that something had happened to the car. I pulled the tire off too look at the brakes and found the bolt loose so I torqued it to specs 180ftlbs but I still have the problem.

I replaced the rotor, caliper bracket and it still does it and it's really nasty when turning to the right.

After looking at this I am going to hit the dealer and hope the warranty will cover it and they don't shit on me for having mods. Plus I found the a-arm bushings are shot on both front.

Traded in my 03 PT and did the a-arms at 58k miles.

Glad I found this thread.
Old 07 Nov 2007, 04:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

I just took my wife's car in because the front rim was getting hot and I smelled something like insulation burning. It turned out to be the wheel bearings. The dealer replaced both left and right hubs and bearings under the extended warranty. The car had 38K. I've never had a car need bearings so quickly. My '03 has 73K and the bearings are original.
Old 07 Nov 2007, 10:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Bye Bye wheel bearings

Just to let you know I replaced the wheel bearings on my cavilier 6 times in the front. but it has 268000 on it the faster and harder you drive the worse on bearing life. The sound you here when you turn one way and it gets worse is becouse you are loading that side of the bearing.

The grinding you are hearing is the bearing itself getting destroyed if it is loud change it. If you loose the bearing off comes the wheel. just my 2 cents LOL!!
Old 08 Nov 2007, 12:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yeah took the car in Friday and they ended up replacing the entire pass. knuckle.

Bearing came out in peices so apprantly, had I driven another 5 miles I would have lost the tire. Tech said it was so bad the new bearing just sat in the hub and moved around. There was no pressing the bearing in.

The control arm bushings were also okay turned out the bearing was making the same sound. I swore it was control arm but with the new knuckle no more popping whern pulling into the driveway.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: Bye Bye wheel bearings

There is hope for the PT Cruiser wheel bearing problem. I am a mechanic but can not do this bearing job at home because the hub must be pressed out of the knuckle and the bearing must be pressed from the hub. The knuckle has to be removed from the lower ball joint, without damaging the CV joint and the bolts on top of the knuckle removed from the strut.

I took my car to Sears (03/10/08)- $50.00 for the wheel bearing, $100 labor and $69.95 for the alignment after all parts are installed. They let me watch the work being done too!

Last edited by airlineman51; 10 Mar 2008 at 08:43 pm. Reason: wrong date
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Also, the bearing installed was a Timken brand!
Old 11 Mar 2008, 12:00 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Just had my right hub bearing fixed for $190.

Had both of my Control Arm bushing fixed (all) for $200.

Now my Tie-Rod is bent and my Sway bar link is all messed up. LUCKY ME!!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 11 Mar 2008, 04:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ok mine also went at 44K miles an '03 PT which I bought new,,, 1 year ago.I called Chrysler & appealed(spoke intently) to them & they covered it after the 3/36 milke warranty which was expired,,,, for $100.00.Apparently there is some issue there.good luck.** I think we all have some odd things going early on these cars,,thats why Im considering moving on..Maybe a NEW Caliber(who knows) at least it will be under warranty>Chrysler though has been very fair!
Old 12 Mar 2008, 02:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Not sure how you feel, I want to sell my pt criuser and buy another chevy. I love it and hate it at the same time. I live near Belivdere, IL where mine was made too

Gary
Old 12 Mar 2008, 02:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thinking about putting some real bullet holes in it!!