Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"Your airbox has a piece missing!"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jul 2003, 11:02 pm
Administrator

Default "Your airbox has a piece missing!"

...that's what the technician and service manager at my dealer told me when I took my GT in to get a steering column noise checked out.

Me to the service manager: "How does a missing airbox silencer make the steering column squeek?!"

Service manager to me: "Well, your PT is the turbo model. (gee, thanks for telling me).... and the turbo sound comes thru the airbox when the piece is missing.... and that may be causing the sound you hear when you turn the wheel."

It's a rubbing sound when turning the wheel at low speeds. (it only happens randomly of course). They couldn't reproduce the sound. They ordered a new airbox and will "see what happens" when it's installed. I'm going to a different dealer with my silencers re-installed. I should have known. [xx(][xx(][xx(]
Old 07 Jul 2003, 11:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Please STOP! You're scaring me. [}]I'm trying to build up some kinda faith in my dealership[8] Plus, I've misplace my silencer...
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 08 Jul 2003, 01:35 am
Regular Cruiser

jody

beware!!! thats how my problem started...as a rubbing noise. The end result was a steering gear replacement. Hope you don't have to go that far....

--------
2003 Silver GT
PT Cruiser 3rd Brk cling, APC GEN2 Eurotails. BTG Intake. StreetGlow Gold Series underglow kit \"Green\". BTG Strut tower Brace.
Old 08 Jul 2003, 02:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Jody,

[|)] Same thing here. A new steering gear finally solved the problem on the 3rd trip to the shop.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 08 Jul 2003, 09:11 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Are you telling us that by taking out the sileners out that the stering assembly will start to make noise?
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 08 Jul 2003, 10:29 am
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by turbomangt

Are you telling us that by taking out the sileners out that the stering assembly will start to make noise?
No. I'm telling you that my service dept has idiots working there.
Old 08 Jul 2003, 11:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Jody,
That is one of the most idiotic things that I have ever heard an auto technician say. He ought to be ashamed of himself for even thinking that, much less saying that to a customer. I'll bet that at least 85% of the members of this forum have the silencers removed. By the techs logic they should ALL be making the same noise that you are hearing. I think that your idea of checking out another dealers svc. dept. is a good one. Don't know if I could trust to leave my car there for a repair EVEN A SIMPLE ONE. BTW If you could E-Mail me w/dealer ID I would appreciate it so that I know which dealer to avoid for repairs. [xx(]

Alan
Old 08 Jul 2003, 11:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I once had a technician refuse to cover a service for an odd noise when they couldn't find the cause. Upon picking up the car it continued to make the scraping noise. I then pointed to the area that I thought the sound was coming from, sure enough the fan shroud was cracked and rubbing.

The warranty claim was denied because the service manager said that " I witheld evidence". I was floored, it cost me $200.00 for the mechanic to replace belts and idler wheels , all the while leaning on the crack in the fan shroud.
Old 08 Jul 2003, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Kirby, that's when you "withhold payment". I mean come on, if a dealer can't locate a busted fan shroud and belts rubbing, they don't deserve to be paid.

A service centers job is to take the infomartion you have given them, look the car over, and make a diagnosis. If someone told me that they kept heariong squeeking/squeeling from the engine compartment, I would first check the belts.

\"Nothing in the \'Verse can stop me\"

Old 08 Jul 2003, 02:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kirby

The warranty claim was denied because the service manager said that " I witheld evidence".
WHAT evidence did they claim you withheld ?????[:I]
GT Turbo Inferno Red Loaded, Chrome Grill, Billet Fuel Door,Blanes Hood Struts,Chrome side spears & shorty antenna, K&N, MGW chrome a/c knobs,lock pins,PT lighter, Eject power plug and GT plate frame, Weathertech Visors, PT MudFlaps,Alpine Stereo&Amps MB Quart & JLSub, BTG Intake, ShadowDot center console cover