Advertisements
The Changing Face of Stage II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2003, 05:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

About the "Turbo Toys Hardware and Components"

From discussion in the SRT-4 forums

The "Turbo Toys" part is pretty neat.

Little plastic piece that fits right between the defog switch and the cigarette lighter.

It's got a switch to change programming between pump gas and race gas, a switch to turn on the (included) intercooler sprayer, and a Dial-A-Boost wheel with 4 settings.

So, it looks like the kit will be further harnessing the secrets of the PCM to unlock the potential for controlling the internal EBC inherit in the PCM, and yield further access to the fuel management capabilities in the PCM.

The IC sprayer could be automatic or manual; it wasn't specified. If they kept with the desire to keep costs down, it would be automatic; taking advantage of the sensor data the PCM is already receiving to activate a spray on demand.

It is all in the PCM; don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The wider range sensors just extend the range of the reported data to allow for a more inclusive look-up table to give more inclusive control.

Same deal with the larger injectors; when the look-up table calls for more fuel, there has to be something there to provide it. Otherwise, the driver will get a lean mixture for his/her trouble.

The only way to tune this car is to tweak the PCM. The few mechanical add-ons are only introduced when the stock ones cannot meet the PCM's request for either data or reaction.

This is a bytehead's dream. Trade your wrenches for boolean logic and join the party.

For all the concerns of the engine not being capable of making more HP, Mopar/Team PVO sure seem to be milking nearly 50 additional hp out of the 2.4L Turbo with only electronics and bigger nipples.

If the engine can deliver this much additional performance without ever breaking the seal on the head, why can't they commit to a warranty on the existing Stage I that only adds 20 hp?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 07:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

My feelings exactly, what self respecting rocket jockey is going to even raise an eyebrow for 20-25HP when there is 60 or 70 in there with essentially the same changes?

(I get this immage of a guy in his PT with the windows all rolled up, making the engine noises himself, and dreaming of winning Indy with that 20 extra HP.)
Old 22 Jul 2003, 09:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Hmmm...looks like I wont be buying Stage I after all.. [^]

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 01:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Steve03GT

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kirby

My feelings exactly, what self respecting rocket jockey is going to even raise an eyebrow for 20-25HP when there is 60 or 70 in there with essentially the same changes?

(I get this immage of a guy in his PT with the windows all rolled up, making the engine noises himself, and dreaming of winning Indy with that 20 extra HP.)
In the FWIW department, I've modified my '02 Corvette over the past 2 years from a stock 294 rwhp to 465 rwhp so I feel qualified to make a point on behalf of MOPAR. Anytime 20 hp can be gained for a mere $400.00, that is the bargain of the century. As a rule, with Chevy V-8 engines, over the span of a modification project, ~$40-$75/hp is the average -- and most of those aren't warranteed either.
20-25 hp is normally considered the minimum amount of hp required to be truly noticed in the seat of pants department. Also, on the turbo models, the area under the torque curve usually improves drastically with the mods MOPAR is offering. As we all know, torque is acceleration and is what we feel in our seat of the pants -- not horsepower. Peak hp and tq no's. and can be very misleading, the important gain is the area under the curve. Although someone may have higher hp/tq numbers, a car with less hp/tq no's., but that has flatter curves, will theoretically be the winner at the dragstrip with all other variables being equal. Top end performance is a different animal altogether, but since we're talking Cruisers, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to discuss that issue.

\'02 Corvette (510 RWHP/510 TQ)
Member of 11sec. club &
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 23 Jul 2003, 12:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

20 HP = Substantial (by any standard, but not race winning)
60-70 HP = Outrageous
Old 23 Jul 2003, 12:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PK Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kirby

20 HP = Substantial (by any standard, but not race winning)
60-70 HP = Outrageous
See...we agree again

In all honesty...I'm waiting on the Stage II...hope we get atleast some (if not all) of the "turbo toys" the SRT boys (& Girls) are talking about...

\'03 Black Turbo, Autostick, Removed Intake Silencers, K&N Drop in Filter, MOPAR BOV, Eibach Springs, Kenwood CD/MP3 Player & amp, 12 inch Sub...soon to be a member of the Stage I club...
Old 23 Jul 2003, 01:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That great seiving filter in the sky seems to take about 2-3 months and almos always leaves something behind. We are empowered to be creative and figure out on our own how to make almost everything work though.