PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 Engine misfire and flashing check engine light

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2010, 05:28 pm
Banned

Default Re: 2004 Engine misfire and flashing check engine light

This is how all engine misfires would show themselves. They would seem more pronounced at idle because the engine is turning at a much lower rpm and you hear the misfire as a more singular entity. At speed, the misfire sound and feel are still there, but it is blended in with three remaining cylinders that are fireing at a much higher rpm. It would seem to be almost gone at higher rpms.

Jerry
Old 24 Jul 2010, 12:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

I've had a similar dilemma with my 03 GT 97k automatic. About 6 mos ago replace intake gasket. 3 weeks ago started an idle "bounce". With service brake on wanted to creep fwd. Put it in neutral at 10mph+ and the tach hunts/fluctuates. Sprayed the intake, change the IAC, TPS. Drove around with scan-tool equipped Mopar mechanic. He talked to a Chrysler mechanic and he said to go have pcm flashed. To the dealer. Nope, $100 later: replace the pcm, $800. Found one that is reman as it has to be burned with the VIN and approx mileage. *Thanks Lee Iaccoca* Was $300 and 1/2hr to install from All Computer Resources in Miami. (nice people!) Drove the next day (gutsy) to DC from Austin; no problems. Two days in DC CEL comes on and almost dies...ZERO power smooth (no perceived miss) but no power. Codes random misfire. That probably limited the power to avoid damage. Changed back to original pcm, crossed my fingers and flew home. Sent back the pcm and the redid it and sent it back to her overnight. The original lasted about a 3 weeks, poor idling. She had the reman one installed before she drove back. STILL has idle issues. Have to get into it tomorrow as my daughter just drove to Austin from DC. Runs fine running just at idle problematic. I got a feeling it maybe the intake again? Thanks in advance!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had the exact same problem with my '01 and it was an arcing plug wire coupled with a bad catalytic converter.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 08:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I was instructed to twist the TPS plug pins (2) slightly. So far has made a difference! How simple...I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Regardless it will be up for sale in 30days after my daughter goes back to school.
Old 26 Jul 2014, 05:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well. After reading lots of posts regarding misfires I have to say its terrible that most people do not post when they fixed the problem. For me it was the coil.
Old 26 Jul 2014, 06:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Seems like quite a few other PT turbo owners are getting the infamous misfire in cylinder number 4.

I ended up replacing the spark plugs, throttle body gasket, and upper intake manifold gasket. That did not fix the problem. So it was time to dive deeper. I ended up replacing the lower intake manifold gasket and fuel injector #4. I also replaced all the o-rings on all the injectors. That fixed my P0304 cylinder 4 misfire problem. While you are in there you can change out the radiator house and thermostat & thermostat seal.

Since you have an 04, you probably have the aluminum intake manifold. Not sure what type of gasket is on that one since I have the plastic manifold that was introduced on the late 05 turbo PT's to 07.

^Far right one goes to #4.

Old #4 injector. Bad picture. Makes it look more worse then it really is.
Have fun!

Tags
check engine light, coil, misfire, pcm