Advertisements
New member, need suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2010, 01:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: New member, need suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinsrt View Post
Uh no. copper plugs need to be gaped about 0.32. the problem with Iridiums is its only iridium plated full iridiums would cost alot more. plus the electrodes are so small it make regapping them a pain. plus Iridiums are supose to be no gapping required but we regap them anyway.

there is nothing wrong with using copper lots of turbo guys run copper plugs, there cheap the work good. the NSRT guys did comparason between plugs and didnt make much of a difference between copper and Iridium so most of us still use copper. my wifes runs copper 4306s gaped at .32 no problems.
Not sure where you're getting your information from, but it's common knowledge among turbo guys that for a stock turbo motor, running copper plugs, your base gap should be .040, (definitely not .32) and if you're running 18+, you're advised to drop the gap to .035. Everyone's application will be different, so there's technically no 'wrong' answer, but the OP is bone stock and you're misinforming.

Also, nobody ever said there was anything wrong with copper plugs, and basically all you did was repackage everything I just stated. Everyone has their own story about swapping between copper and iridiums, but the common denominator is the fact that iridium plugs last longer than copper plugs.

/thread

Old 19 Aug 2010, 02:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Cruzer View Post
Since you have a 2003, you should look at getting the Stage 1 computer. S1 comes with the larger injectors that the later years came with stock. If you plan on building more power you will need them to run more boost safely. The S1 computer is calibrated for the larger injectors.
S1 is the best bang for buck

Is it a 5 spd or auto? If you have an ATX DO NOT boost in 4th. The mantra for the ATX owners is not IF your trans is going to take a dump, its WHEN your trans is going to take a dump. Start saving now. If you have an ATX S1 also recalibrates the shifting.
I read about the S1 on the PTC Mod Bible, so that'll be on the list of must-haves for sure.

And yeah, unfortunately it's an Automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinsrt View Post

but for the new guy the first thing i would suggest you do, its the one thing everyone overlooks and doesnt want to do, Boost leak test. Boost leaks are the num 1 performance robber, by ignoring them they throw more and more money at the car trying to fix what they thing the problem is and getting nowhere.

what you do is go to home depo or lowes and get a 2" plumming cap (rubber end cap)

then go to autozone, Orellys, pepboys and get a valve stem and some zip ties and a boost gauge.

take the cap and put a small hole in the center and push the valve stem through it.

then install the boost gauge and "T" it into the system

to test the car you remove the factory intake pipe (and airbox if needed) attach that cap to the turbo and use an air compressor or air tank and fill the system with air, watch the guage to see how much your filling.

once you start hearing air comming out from some lines take a squirt bottle of soapy water and spary in the general area and look for bubbles and secure a zip tie on the lines and repete, once you get the gauge to sit at a consistant pressure say 15psi then you have no leaks. you'll notices a faster responce from the car.
Thanks for that, see it's advice such as that above that I'm looking for as well!

Will have to try this out tomorrow when I go buy a drop-in K&N filter.

I plan on keeping the car for a good while, and the $$$ I get from the Focus will just be spent on another motorcycle for commuting purposes

-Freddy
Old 19 Aug 2010, 06:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to kingofyo1 Send a message via MSN to kingofyo1 Send a message via Yahoo to kingofyo1 Send a message via Skype™ to kingofyo1

funny thing, but I just purchased my 03 GT w/autostick and all available options yesterday... had also traded in my 03 zx3 focus I've started reading, and thanks to the awesome guys on this forum and PTC, I'll know exactly where to start with modifications.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 06:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ha nice, then you can just ask away any other questions you might have on here since I'll be interested to hear about it as well!

My Focus was getting to be a bit boring, had a catback exhaust and cold air and that's about it. My hobbies lay elsewhere, until I got the GT Cruiser
Old 19 Aug 2010, 06:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to kingofyo1 Send a message via MSN to kingofyo1 Send a message via Yahoo to kingofyo1 Send a message via Skype™ to kingofyo1

well i've heard about the basics: intake, exhaust, stage 1 pcm and such, but i was wondering if there was anything we could do to increase power for free(or extremely low cost)? i've got a bit of experience from having worked on a 87.5 supra 7mgte turbo from the ground up. When i opened up the engine bay on this for the first time in the dealer lot, I noticed a ton of similarities to the NSRT but for the life of me I cant seem to find where the stock BOV is? would it be hidden under a mass of moldings or what? seemed to me IIRC that the BOV on the supra was on the pipe leading from the throttle body to the IC. Any insight here would be great, sorry if its been posted previously, I kinda jumped into this without the search button being used (dumbass move, I know lol)
Old 19 Aug 2010, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: New member, need suggestions

Cold air intake system!
Great sound too......"open the breathing"!

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 19 Aug 2010, 06:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had a 7GMTE in my 1989 Toyota Cressida (came from a friends Supra).

Brings back memories

Going to do the 'Boost leak test' nevinsrt recommended tomorrow if I can get ahold of my uncle's air compressor, otherwise I'll just do the drop in filter for now since I've gotta get my car smogged!
Old 19 Aug 2010, 06:41 pm
Young Cruiser

ah thankfully, i dont have smog tests... live in southern mississippi weird, we've had alot of vehicular similarities ^^ yeah, as car as cold air intake goes, I have actually heard its cheaper to keep stock but modify it with a KN filter and to cut something out but I cant remember exactly what to cut? oh yeah, and of course, plugs and wires LOL! Who wants to tell me how many vacuum lines we gotta do for pressure testing? tried it on my friends NSRT back in the day, and i remember it was a major PITA to get all the lines done correctly
Old 19 Aug 2010, 06:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Least I don't have to pay taxes since I received the vehicle outside the state as a gift. Nearly done with registering it here in CA but I need the smog test so I'll be doing that tomorrow.

As for the mod, it was something to do with removing the silencer was it?...I'd like to find out what it was too if someone can chime in.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 07:05 pm
Young Cruiser

bueller? bueller??? ok so has anyone here ran an open exhaust? what about replacing stock cat with straight pipe and a spark plug extender on the secondary cat? had that setup on my 03 civic SI a couple years ago, it was N/A but seemed to sound meaner and run better on top end. not sure what to do on the PT, as i've never had a newer turbo vehicle