Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Interesting thread on the SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Dec 2003, 01:09 am
Cool Cruiser

First, adding the venting BV won't make your engine or your turbo last longer. It's been hashed on this forum, search it out, you will find that all you are doing is chaging the noise.

Second, you California people need to talk to Gov Arnold and get him to disband the CARB. They are a bunch of Nazis, really, who have no understanding of how cars work and the impact of various performance upgrades. The only thing they do is enhance local law enforcement's revenue stream. CARB certification is why a plastic pipe and a cotton gauze filter from K&N cost you over 200 bucks. PLEASE!
Old 23 Dec 2003, 02:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

[postwhore] I missed the original SRT post...screw family and friends...I guess I have to keep up with these forums 24/7 or I miss out.[/postwhore]

[:I]

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 23 Dec 2003, 02:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sakigt

[postwhore] I missed the original SRT post...screw family and friends...I guess I have to keep up with these forums 24/7 or I miss out.[/postwhore]

[:I]
hehe, so did I...I don't feel like a [|)] now. [8D]

Old 23 Dec 2003, 11:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

FWIW, because I neglected to get my annual PA state inspection before it expired 11/30, my 03 GT w/ Stage I PCM had to go through the new OBDII emissions test. It passed no problem (as, surprisingly, did my 97 Caravan (OBDI)). Why I didn't swap out to the stock PCM for the inspection, I don't know. Which leads me to this -- while I won't get into the warranty issues, since the Stage I PCM is not visibly different from stock when installed, why the worry about a CARB sticker?
Old 23 Dec 2003, 12:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Culprat

MACSTER,
I did not miss the point.
CUP

You wrote in response to my original post "What is the big deal? Do you want mother DCX to make the payment for you also." If that wasn't directed to me then who was it directed to? [:I]

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 23 Dec 2003, 12:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

As for me & my Calif PT, I'm in up to Stage3. After each install I will do an offline test, just like I did with the Stage1 and then I'll do what I have to do.
Also there are dealerships with service managers who are informed about these mods and know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. We should find out where they are and do business only with them. Finally, I received a name of another MOD friendly dealership yesterday where the service manager himself has a PTGT with a boost control installed and I was told that the service dept will install the Stage (*) mods. Of course I have to check this out to see if it is true.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 23 Dec 2003, 12:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptgtcb

I never mentioned warranty did I.
NOPE!

Sorry I got carried away.

macster

Old 23 Dec 2003, 12:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Rolo

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by azptcruiser

I appreciate all of the information that everyone is providing throughout these forums as it relates to the turbo and stages. But it seems to me in all of my readings throughout all of these forums that there have been few issues noted with the incorporation of the Stage 1 and 2 add-ons. It seems the the track record of these systems, along with, what appears to be a well engineered engine, has caused few compatability issues or even emission issues.

Now maybe I need to read, again, and make certain of this information, but it seems to be a relatively low risk to install at least the Stage 1 system. The Stage 2 seems to also be a relatively low risk, too.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I will also continue my research in this area, too.
My Personal Experience As Of Today
Or: My Throwing The Dead Horse Into The Sea So We May Never Speak Of This Again And Quit Geting On 3Bar's Nerves

Since I have to take my PT in for a PCM swap as per TSB, I asked about having a Stage 1 kit installed instead if I purchased it from them. The service manager flat out told me "it will void your warranty". I explained the verbiage of the warranties (tactfully) and his explanation was that since the aftermarket computer controls pretty much everything, Chrysler will always point the finger at that, and you are SOL.

I refer to the case of "Theory v. Practise": there is "On Paper", and then there is "The Real World". (It is an old case, so I used the Queen's English spelling.) [8D]

I thanked him for being up-front, said I would pass on the Stage 1 (and future Stage 2) since it has 1800 miles on it and I need warranty work done already--parts were defective out-of-the box. (the ubiquitous valvetrain tappet-like noise). Six weeks, 1800 miles, and already needing service three times. Hardly impressive.

It is not the Mopar parts that I worry about, it is Chrysler's. There are a lot of parts, a lot that can go wrong. This is what comes with buying an American car; you get what you pay for. ( [8] <-- Harley Earl, heh) If you want reliability, buy a Honda. If you want the dealer/manufacturer to take care of you, buy German (but you'll pay for it). If you want it all, build it yourself.

I knew what I was buying, I bought an American economy car (that just happens to be one of the coolest cars on the road overall) because my portfolio/wealth building is more important to me than wheels (why I bought a Chrysler car and Nissan stock). For the same reason, I do not need a dealer playing games and picking my pocket. [}] I wish to keep the warranty intact, as it offsets the mediocre craftmanship/service. [)] 20 HP is not worth forfeiting that. (50 HP may be, though... [:0] )

I like performance, but the Chrysler cost of it is too high for me. That is my choice. We all have to make that choice. Pick one and go with it. [B)]

Yes, "it sucks!" and "They should....!" but, as someone wisely pointed out: this is not a perfect world ("love your neighbour as yourself..." yadda yadda...). Right/wrong: irrelevant--that is the way it is. No point in [xx(] over it.

As for me, right now engine-wise, I will just add a BOV for longevity--that should be a hard one to slough problems onto. As time goes on and my PT proves itself, and the resistance to more speed becomes futile, I will add to performance at risk to the warranty--a calculated risk. By then I will be better able to do my own work anyway. So...Stage 2 can take its time for all I care (easier to resist when it is not available! heh).

So...let us just continue to bounce good, productive (or even stupid and humourous)

Old 23 Dec 2003, 03:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazyjoe

First, adding the venting BV won't make your engine or your turbo last longer. It's been hashed on this forum, search it out, you will find that all you are doing is chaging the noise.

Second, you California people need to talk to Gov Arnold and get him to disband the CARB. They are a bunch of Nazis, really, who have no understanding of how cars work and the impact of various performance upgrades. The only thing they do is enhance local law enforcement's revenue stream. CARB certification is why a plastic pipe and a cotton gauze filter from K&N cost you over 200 bucks. PLEASE!
I think most in CA would agree with this statement. I think Gov Arnold would agree too. We have had too many years of limp wristed Governors and legislators that have no grasp on modern automotive technology. They seem to listen only to the "Sky is Falling" side of the isle. If a car still passes a smog test, why should it not be allowed on the road. The SPIRIT of the law is still upheld. I am all for clean air but sometimes the letter of the law needs some tweaking to keep up with the reality of technology.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 23 Dec 2003, 04:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Boy have we really got off topic.
DCX had a choice to produce the staged kits as a 50 state legal kit or not! They chose not to make it street legal from the very start and never intended to. They could have just as easily made this kit OBD II and been granted a CARB exemtion order and could have been in compliance with U.S. EPA memorandom 1A. These kits are not legal on any pllution controlled motor vehicle in any state. They have the technology right at their finger tips(something aftermarket tuners do not have) and could have made these kits state of the art High Performance. They chose to ignor the future because they wanted to get it to market as soon as possible, which does not make sense since you will sell more components that are 50 state legal. The sad part is they never will go back and do it right. I could have waited longer and paid more for the kits. My real peeve is that they mis-lead me when they told me that they were going to get CARB approval or it was pending or that they were looking into it, when they damn well knew that it would never be legal. Why did they not just come out and tell us. Of course if you can be mislead into a war you can mislead about a little thing like that, right. (oops, I might have stared something here)

What I like is that even the SRT people are starting to bitch that it is not 50 state legal. I would also like to know why the topic that started this thread was removed from the SRT forum?

And yes this horse is definately dead, But, this is good spirted debate something that this country needs more of!

More important, Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!