Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo Failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2011, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo Failure

Hello! I have put THREE used turbos on my 03 PT Cruiser and all three the dealership reported bad. They did install a new one that is working fine.

My problem is I am having trouble getting a credit on the last used turbo they attempted to install. I returned it to the vendor, and the vendor says that the dealership removed their turbo from the manifold and bolted it onto a different manifold, and that now there is "play" in the turbo, and when they shipped it to me there wasn't. They say they can tell the bolts were removed and their stock number is not listed on the manifold, only the turbo, and it should be on both.

The dealership says the 3rd turbo was installed and ran fine at low speeds but under greater acceleration, it would freeze up!

I am trying to figure out which of these companies is in the wrong here, and ask the correct party to pay for the part. I just ordered the thing!

Does anyone know of any issues with these turbos? And if there would be a reason the dealer would remove the turbo from the manifold to bolt it on? And if that could in any way damage the part?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

-Amber
Old 20 Oct 2011, 10:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo Failure

Something shady going on....

First of all, you purchased the turbo yourself and later went to the dealership to get it installed? Seeing as how you have an 03, I highly doubt you're under warranty so you're probably paying big bucks.

One, it's not hard at all to install a turbo and get it working right.

Two, I'd go to the dealership and find out what happened to the matching manifold that came with the turbo your vendor sent.

Three, I hate to ask how much you paid for the turbo and how much you're paying for the install/labor....stop while you're ahead unless they're going to warranty their work.

Four, when you get a new turbo installed...IT IS IMPERATIVE to properly break in your turbo. Do you know how to start/warm up and drive/run and let a turbo car cool down? Not to mention using only full synthetic for your oil changes?

Five, I don't know where you're located as I'm typing this but it might be alot better to get with someone on/around here and I'm sure they'd help out. I'd do the work for a case or two of beer lol Post under your profile where you're from and someone might chime in and offer their help.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 08:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles3891 View Post
Hello! I have put THREE used turbos on my 03 PT Cruiser and all three the dealership reported bad. They did install a new one that is working fine.

So, you bought there used turbos, you had the dealer ship installed all three and they all die. Then you installed a new turbo? That labor bill must be in the $2000-$3000 range!

Quote:
The dealership says the 3rd turbo was installed and ran fine at low speeds but under greater acceleration, it would freeze up!
Never heard of a turbo that would work at slow speed but not high speed. I have seen a car with a clogged catalytic converter and broke the turbine wheel right off and would cause turbo not to work.

Quote:
And if there would be a reason the dealer would remove the turbo from the manifold to bolt it on? And if that could in any way damage the part?
Yes, there is a reason. Faster installation.

Quote:
Does anyone know of any issues with these turbos
It's usually something else that cause turbos to die. Foreign objects, clogged catalytic converter, rubber oil return line instead of silicone, clogged oil feed line, poor oil changing habit(10,000 miles oil changes), poor driving habit (frequent hot shut down), non-working PCV system, bad blowby, bad vacuum lines (cause overboost), etc.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 29 Oct 2011, 10:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:

My problem is I am having trouble getting a credit on the last used turbo they attempted to install. I returned it to the vendor, and the vendor says that the dealership removed their turbo from the manifold and bolted it onto a different manifold, and that now there is "play" in the turbo, and when they shipped it to me there wasn't. They say they can tell the bolts were removed and their stock number is not listed on the manifold, only the turbo, and it should be on both.

I am trying to figure out which of these companies is in the wrong here, and ask the correct party to pay for the part. I just ordered the thing!

Does anyone know of any issues with these turbos? And if there would be a reason the dealer would remove the turbo from the manifold to bolt it on? And if that could in any way damage the part?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

-Amber
Did your replacement turbo come with the flange? The unit when you normally get a rebuild has only the turbo and not the flange that mates between the exhaust manifold pipe and the turbo unit. The flange bolts between them and if this is what the turbo company is aksing for then just send them that. If the dealership used it(not sure why they would when yours is there and if not damaged and usable) then they should tell you they did and why? Could be they were just lazy and bolted it up as 1 unit and tossed your old flange out. Be persisent and ask questions of them and ask the turbo company if they indeed sent you a flange with the turbo.

Tags
turbo, turbocharger