Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo 5-Speed vs Auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2004, 11:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Guys
Thinking about the question of auto vs 5 spd . Look at the difference in the gear ratio's.
5SPD - Auto
1) 3.92 - 2.84
2) 2.21 - 1.57
3) 1.46 - 1.00
4) 1.11 - .69
5) .88
Why so big a difference ? Save on clutch wear ?
Old 27 Mar 2004, 02:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by flamedcruiser

hey pt:
I'm definitely not trying to push the autostick, I think automatics are for mini-vans, really old people, and top fuel drag cars ONLY. And I don't have an auto-stick, but my Grandma does. I just feel REALLY sorry for the people buying the 5-speed turbo who don't realize how much quicker the auto-stick is than the 5-speed. It should NEVER be that way! DC did some false advertising stating the 5-speed was quicker from 0 to 60, that's for sure! Just need to know that while You're "getting your 5-speed going", (with no turbo in 1st gear), my Grandma's auto-stick,(with an active turbo in 1st gear), is already 75 feet ahead of You........that's all.
Drive them both before You buy or order one, or You're in for a big disappointment with the 5-speed turbo. The 5-speed should be badged "turbo, except for 1st gear". And watch for my Grandma. She's the little old lady in the should be slower auto-stick that just blew your doors off! Say Bye, Bye Grandma! By the way, my hot rod Grandma takes on 5.0's, 5-speed turbo's, and other supposedly quick cars and not only blows their doors off but she stops and waves at them after she slows down so they can catch up. Better beef up the 5-speed turbo or my Grandma will make You feel REALLY foolish! (More foolish than paying for a 5-speed that's slower than an automatic)??????? Let me know after You run her.
Show me ANYWHERE that what you say is backed up by more than your ass in the seat.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 27 Mar 2004, 06:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 10spdrive

Hey Guys
Thinking about the question of auto vs 5 spd . Look at the difference in the gear ratio's.
5SPD - Auto
1) 3.92 - 2.84
2) 2.21 - 1.57
3) 1.46 - 1.00
4) 1.11 - .69
5) .88
Why so big a difference ? Save on clutch wear ?
The automatic doesn't need as low of gear because of the torque multipication of the converter...however it consumes more HP between the flywheel and the drive wheels meaning less HP makes it to the pavement. The automatic also has more "slippage".

Deen

GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 27 Mar 2004, 06:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT Redman

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by flamedcruiser

hey pt:
I'm definitely not trying to push the autostick, I think automatics are for mini-vans, really old people, and top fuel drag cars ONLY. And I don't have an auto-stick, but my Grandma does. I just feel REALLY sorry for the people buying the 5-speed turbo who don't realize how much quicker the auto-stick is than the 5-speed. It should NEVER be that way! DC did some false advertising stating the 5-speed was quicker from 0 to 60, that's for sure! Just need to know that while You're "getting your 5-speed going", (with no turbo in 1st gear), my Grandma's auto-stick,(with an active turbo in 1st gear), is already 75 feet ahead of You........that's all.
Drive them both before You buy or order one, or You're in for a big disappointment with the 5-speed turbo. The 5-speed should be badged "turbo, except for 1st gear". And watch for my Grandma. She's the little old lady in the should be slower auto-stick that just blew your doors off! Say Bye, Bye Grandma! By the way, my hot rod Grandma takes on 5.0's, 5-speed turbo's, and other supposedly quick cars and not only blows their doors off but she stops and waves at them after she slows down so they can catch up. Better beef up the 5-speed turbo or my Grandma will make You feel REALLY foolish! (More foolish than paying for a 5-speed that's slower than an automatic)??????? Let me know after You run her.
Show me ANYWHERE that what you say is backed up by more than your ass in the seat.
Oh don't pay any attention to him. He has been spouting this stuff forever.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 28 Mar 2004, 02:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Been driving sticks for 22 years, The GT is a heart thumper, atuos put me to sleep. Can't stand'em. But, that's my opinion. We could go round and round for pages. Whatever makes you happy. RED GT 5 Speed!!!!!
Old 28 Mar 2004, 09:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Just a couple more of my personal observations...

Looking at posted quarter mile ET's over the past summer there is very minimal differance between the auto and manual tranny at the current power levels (stock and S1).

The PT Turbo does not make a good drag car as hard launches just produce a lot of wheel hop with minimal changes in 60' times. For a factory Turbo I'd say the automatic is much more forgiving in the launch...which is actually the most important part of a drag race. Many races are won or lost in the first 60 feet (usually it's your reaction time).

On the other hand...if we COULD launch hard...the 5-spd tranny would have the advantage at a 4000-5000 RPM launch.

At higher power levels (S2 and above) may favor the manual tranny in reliability, of course that is still to be determined...

In the mean time I'll still enjoying shifting my 5 spd. since my Turbo is my "sports" car...and leave the automatic (in my pickup)for hauling my trailer down the freeway or sitting in traffic.

Deen

GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 28 Mar 2004, 09:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Well said Deen . I know from stoplight races with my wife in her auto pickup ('Chevy Avalanche w/5.3 l 275 hp V8 auto), this to be true ,the combo of her 11 year younger reactions and auto allow her to to pull my GT until I hit second but it's bye/bye after that . Granted the damn truck weighs 5600 lbs. But I thought all would get a chuckle over this apple/orange comparo,lol! It's almost as funny as me trying to pave the way for S2 by saying I could pickup 2-4mpg yesterday ! I got it's bull**** that's not the reason you want it ! So I said I just want it !
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp