Advertisements
Got the brakes fixed....now what?

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 3 Post By rob302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2018, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Got the brakes fixed....now what?

The brake issue was bad front calipers and pads.

After bringing the car home from the shop, I noticed a burning smell. The next morning when I backed the 2005 GT Vert out of the garage, I noticed a small pool of liquid (about 4 inches in diameter). It wasn't water because it was oily, but it wasn't oil either.

I believe it is coolant, but I'm not 100% sure. Drove the car to work and back (about 20 miles round trip) and when I got home today, the burning smell was there again and smoke was coming from the front grille.

I popped the hood and noticed the area it was coming from was around the heater return hose (lower). The connection area was soaking wet and I'm assuming the smoke was from dripping on to the exhaust.

The only other thing I noticed under the hood, was small pools of oil around the spark plug boots. Probably not related. Thoughts?
Old 07 Apr 2018, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Got the brakes fixed....now what?

No, the two are not related. What type of clamp is on the lower hose? If it's a screw type, try tightening it. If it's the old spring style, I'd suggest removing it and replacing with the screw type. Be aware that if you do this, you'll need a catch pan for the antifreeze. You should also inspect the seams around the radiator as it could be a leaking seam running down. As for the oil in the spark plug holes, that's a sign that the O type seals on the bottom of the tubes need replacing. You might as well replace the valve cover gasket as it has to come off in order to replace the tube seals.
capevape likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 07 Apr 2018, 08:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Chuzz
Old 07 Apr 2018, 11:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

for the leak you spotted in back- keep an eye on the wet hose you found and see if it's wet again...but keep in mind if the overflow bottle is/was too full, the extra fluid will drain out the bottles overflow.... right onto the exhaust. one of the dumbest things about the PT, IMO

with the smoke up front, the radiators on these are prone to leaking at the crimp. if you see fluid, i would check there with a flashlight next time it's steaming. when my radiator was taking a leak, it leaked in the general area of the lower radiator hose(battery tray was also wet with coolant)

you should check to see if the lower radiator hose is chafing against the plastic fan shroud. the fan housing on my car wore a hole through the lower radiator hose because the hoses come longer than necessary and require trimming, which in my case the previous owner didn't do. if they are not properly trimmed they will chafe the plastic fan housing and leak. a small leak would run down the hose and leak where you describe. when the hole gets a little larger, it will spray down the street as you drive. i left a visible 5 block long trail from a restaurant to my house when it happened to me.

i would just leave the spring clamp on there. i used to think they were garbage but after a deep discussion here i learned they are better in the long run. as a hose ages and becomes hard, the fact that a spring clamp is a spring means it will still squeeze and keep the proper pressure on the hose, where a worm clamp will only be as small as you make it. both types are fine, IMO

Last edited by rob302; 07 Apr 2018 at 11:57 am.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 09:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Sometimes I've seen the old clamps cut into the hose because the hose is old and soft. I had a bypass hose do that on a previous PT I bought so for the quick fix I just cut hose where the leak was, moved it up and reclamped it until I purchased a new bypass hose.