Oil Filter Location

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2018, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Filter Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
compression ratio is the difference in the volume of the cylinder when the piston is at Bottom Dead Center (BDC) vs when it is at Top Dead Center (TDC).

This is expressed as a ratio such as 10:1 (read 10 to 1), or 8.5:1 (eight and a half to one). for 10:1 the meaning is that the space at TDC is 10 times smaller than when at BDC.

this ratio is what requires high octane...
Very nice write up on the subject.

Two more reasons higher octane fuel may be required may include:

* Ignition Timing Advance - Aggressive spark advance can often cause cylinder pressure to rise too quickly. This can cause predetonation somewhat like higher overall compression can.

* Running a Lean Fuel Mixture -Richer fuel mixtures can help prevent predetonation while lean ones don't. Higher octane fuel can often help in this situation.

There's a few other applications too. On the oil, I use Mobile 1 as well in the PT. But in my Charger Daytona, I use Castrol synthetic.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 May 2018 at 10:59 am.
Old 28 May 2018, 11:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Two more reasons higher octane fuel may be required may include:

It is mostly all cut and paste from a internet source.

1) thinking that higher octane fuels will cure engine running issues :laughing
2) thinking that higher octane fuels will cure engine running issues :laughing

There are currently tens of thousands of engines with 13:1 Compression and getting 35+ mpg on 87 Octane fuel? Many right here in the USA!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 May 2018 at 11:42 am.
Old 28 May 2018, 12:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It is mostly all cut and paste from a internet source.

1) thinking that higher octane fuels will cure engine running issues :laughing
2) thinking that higher octane fuels will cure engine running issues :laughing

There are currently tens of thousands of engines with 13:1 Compression and getting 35+ mpg on 87 Octane fuel? Many right here in the USA!
Why do you do this? It doesn't make you look any smarter trying to put down other members. It actually does the opposite. I'm you friend, remember?

The information UnitD77 provided is an extremely good primer on this subject. And under certain cases, as those we are discussing here, higher octane fuels may be indicated or specified. As far as solving engine running and tuning issues, that depends completely on each individual situation.

Most members here know that many of the performance tunes we use on our PT's are spec'ed out for higher octane fuel for the very reasons we are discussing. Everyone acknowledges that there are engineering solutions to almost any problem. Many newer engines in everyday drivers today can do things old hot rodders only dreamed of. And they can often do it on 87 octane fuel while getting great fuel mileage. But that is just an interesting side note when discussing out old PT Cruiser engines.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 May 2018 at 01:20 pm.
Old 28 May 2018, 02:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

the lowest octane will always make the most power... as far as comp ratios- a turbo still doesn't add volume... pressure, sure. it is good to note that using that boost to full effect is a tricky, tricky game. i do dig units info though. the problem as most folks know with actual and effective is one c.i. is still one c.i.

its a huge debate with 2 stroke builders as some Japanese manufactures do not calculate comp ratio till the exhaust port closes but that would make a 500cc a 375!

i guess the reason i brought it up in the first place was about the need for particular oils in a turbo... actual, effective, corrected comp ratios or not- call it what you want, if we were at the upper end of 14.5/6/7/8... there would be a lot of snapped con rods! and the need for some 108 octane! remember, a diesel will run on atf if you really needed... (true!)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by rambojoe; 28 May 2018 at 02:22 pm.
Old 28 May 2018, 03:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Why do you do this?
I responded to a thread I was interested in. I respond to a response that was not exactly all complete or accurate and obviously not written but copied information. The PT Cruiser engine(s) is not that old.
Re: Oil Filter LocationThe thread is really not staying in the PT Cruiser only topic if you read back to the beginning. The thread was only one question and that is where the oil filter is. After that it is whatever and however the thread goes. That's how threads can be sometimes.

Joe re-read your response you forgot a couple of things.....
Hint, I owned as you know an RG.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 May 2018, 08:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I responded to a thread I was interested in. I respond to a response that was not exactly all complete or accurate and obviously not written but copied information. The PT Cruiser engine(s) is not that old.
Re: Oil Filter LocationThe thread is really not staying in the PT Cruiser only topic if you read back to the beginning. The thread was only one question and that is where the oil filter is. After that it is whatever and however the thread goes. That's how threads can be sometimes.

Joe re-read your response you forgot a couple of things.....
Hint, I owned as you know an RG.
I excel at forgetting things... uuummm lemme guess- primary compression? which doesn't make sense to 4 strokes so I don't know- but this man never forgets the mention of a gamma. ever. one of my racing buddies has taken to importing and selling exotic gray market bikes btw.. every time I go over there its something else. frustrates me to no end. again I understand what the turbo freaks are getting at but it doesn't make it a 3.8l....
Old 29 May 2018, 06:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
I excel at forgetting things...
Don't worry about it. I have already been scolded on this thread. My bike was a RG500 it had a Rotary Valve which could create what was called "Over Expansion". On the exhaust side.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 29 May 2018, 10:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wow, this thread has jumped the tracks for sure. Did my oil change this past weekend and I used Mobil 1 full synthetic high mileage with matching filter. Interesting side note, whomever did the last oil change used a VERY cheap (and too small) oil filter. I used the recommended Mobil 1 filter, but the filter I took off was a Carquest R85394 which was smaller in diameter and about half the height of the proper Mobil 1 filter. Does anyone want to start a side discussion about using the wrong filter?
rob302 likes this.
Old 29 May 2018, 11:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Don't worry about it. I have already been scolded on this thread. My bike was a RG500 it had a Rotary Valve which could create what was called "Over Expansion". On the exhaust side.
I acknowledged that i remembered you had a rg, its also called the gamma. But you are confusing disc valve induction with power valves in the exhaust port. Unless you forgot tz's and rs's are my forte....over expansion is what happens when you drive over a expansion bridge- that word means nothing... any hoo. Cheers!
Old 30 May 2018, 12:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
I acknowledged that i remembered you had a rg, its also called the gamma. But you are confusing disc valve induction with power valves in the exhaust port. Unless you forgot tz's and rs's are my forte....over expansion is what happens when you drive over a expansion bridge- that word means nothing... any hoo. Cheers!

Oh ....
A New Rotary Valve for 2-Stroke Engines Enabling Over-Expansion 2016-01-1054
https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../2016-01-1054/

I was heavily into the RG's and had one of the most modified ones around for the time. Lance of Lance Gamma knows me very well.

Soooo nanner nanner

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 May 2018 at 12:44 am.