PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Filter Location

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2018, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Filter Location

It is funny that too much concern on size!

And really it is Tribal Wisdom as it is on most forums about Oil filters.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Jun 2018, 12:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It is funny that too much concern on size!

And really it is Tribal Wisdom as it is on most forums about Oil filters.

It's not size. It's the surface area of the filter media. The reason larger (often longer) filters are sometimes preferred is because with two filters of the same brand, same build with the same filter media, the larger or longer one often has more filter media surface area.

Filter build quality is just as important. It you have ever cut any oil filters of the same size apart you will notice that the better filters will sometimes have more media surface area with tighter fluting or larger media diameters. Of course, better filters likely use better media as well.

In the photo below, let's hope Fram is using better filter media because it definitely has less surface area.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Jun 2018 at 12:33 pm.
Old 07 Jun 2018, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am not going to get into more forum BS with a few members that think they know about filters. This has mostly HYP and BS going on for years on forums and dating back in the 70's to when some Gear Heads thought that the DUAL Filters (i.e FRAM PH8A) adapter was the Hot Rod think to do. LOL

There is actually long since been lots of empirical data that is much better then old internet pictures that are really less then the norm in all aspects of everything I can think about vehicle related use of filters. HYP HYP HYP!!!
Sales HYP and armchair experts posting more HYP!
As I said and have said unless someone is in like the RENO Desert and mining there daily driver all over in the dusty air there is very little EVER need for a large capacity oil filter on a car.

I challenge anyone to get information from a OIL FILTER manufacture that will disprove my responses on this thread.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Jun 2018, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I am not going to get into more forum BS with a few members that think they know about filters. This has mostly HYP and BS going on for years on forums and dating back in the 70's to when some Gear Heads thought that the DUAL Filters (i.e FRAM PH8A) adapter was the Hot Rod think to do. LOL

There is actually long since been lots of empirical data that is much better then old internet pictures that are really less then the norm in all aspects of everything I can think about vehicle related use of filters. HYP HYP HYP!!!
Sales HYP and armchair experts posting more HYP!
As I said and have said unless someone is in like the RENO Desert and mining there daily driver all over in the dusty air there is very little EVER need for a large capacity oil filter on a car.

I challenge anyone to get information from a OIL FILTER manufacture that will disprove my responses on this thread.

Folks like to argue about the things that seem to matter the least. I don't agree or disagree with anything you are saying, but as usual, it does no good citing empirical data you can't provide for review. And you can't make a challenge based on nothing.

And let's always remember, empirical data is information acquired by observation or experimentation. Anyone can see something and write down what they thought they saw. Proper experimentation is a different subject. And that gets us back into "tribal knowledge" as you say which is mainly based on personal experience and from anecdotal reports from people your know. In the south we call that "old hand" knowledge because it comes from the wisdom of the older guys. I personally put a lot of value in that, but sadly it can't be used against over 200 years of filter engineering.

In summary, I personally like your tribal knowledge on this stuff. There's lots value in what actually happens on the ground with the actual end users. But confusing that with unproven claims and then calling other claims as hype doesn't do much good. I like my old hand tribal knowledge as it is, from the seasoned guys that saw it, used it and lived it.
Old 08 Jun 2018, 10:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Since there is interest in oil filter data, I offer this:https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulle...pdf?zo=1181889 . This is about all I use in my car, motorhome, motorcycle, UTVs, and boat. I change them once a year.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 08 Jun 2018, 10:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep.

When you want "empirical data", Amsoil has got you covered every which way every time!
Gold2006 likes this.
Old 08 Jun 2018, 05:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Loooooong before the internet we all (gear heads, Hot Rodderes and Engine Builders) did the testing and much was documented. In the case what we are talking about not only have I TESTED and do in fact lots of PESONAL DATA there has been as well several article written about it in magazines over the last 30 or more years. Check it out DUDE!

Besides as I said Please feel free email, call, or talk through 2 cans and a string any Oil Filter manufacture and find fault with my responses.

Going back to where this argument began.....Nitro spoke but the majority rules even if the information is just ridicules considering the applications! ROLMAO

Two words...
adapters'
coolers

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN