Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dyno

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2004, 01:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dyno

Has anyone dyno'd a stock PT too see if the hp is wheel hp like the SRT-4?
Old 10 Aug 2004, 01:41 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dodge-boy

Has anyone dyno'd a stock PT too see if the hp is wheel hp like the SRT-4?
From everything I've read it should be. Just different gearing and a lot less weight. (Big article in Hot Rod magazine a while back.)

Don
Old 10 Aug 2004, 09:30 am
Young Cruiser

From what I have read, the WHEEL horse power is much different. I think stock we are at 180-190 WHP while the SRT numbers are 220-230 WHP. Dodge underestimated the horsepower of the SRT when publishing the results.

The srt forum is a good place to get the data on stock DYNO numbers.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 09:52 am
Young Cruiser

http://srtforums.com/forums/showthre...ght=stock+dyno
Old 10 Aug 2004, 11:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

i know about the stock #'s of an SRT-4, I have read a ton of articles as I was going to buy one. But I am also looking at the PT GT too so I wanted to know if they have the same power going to the wheels. I am assuming no because its almost a second+ off the 1/4 mile times of a stock SRT.

Just because the shape and the extra 400+lbs it should still be high 14's if it was putting 220hp and 240tq at the wheels. I saw a GTP run stock 14.3 and they weigh more than the PT but there hp/tq is 240/280 but not at the wheels
Old 10 Aug 2004, 11:56 am
Fanatic Cruiser

tranny's are different.
Stage 1 GT's are putting about 190-200 at the wheels, not stock I don't think.
Also have to look at the 5spd GT with the SRT-4 as there is more driveline loss with the A/S GT.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 10 Aug 2004, 12:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dodge-boy

i know about the stock #'s of an SRT-4, I have read a ton of articles as I was going to buy one. But I am also looking at the PT GT too so I wanted to know if they have the same power going to the wheels. I am assuming no because its almost a second+ off the 1/4 mile times of a stock SRT.

Just because the shape and the extra 400+lbs it should still be high 14's if it was putting 220hp and 240tq at the wheels. I saw a GTP run stock 14.3 and they weigh more than the PT but there hp/tq is 240/280 but not at the wheels
Power at the wheels is definately less for the PTGT than the SRT. I have seen in mags 0-60 times for the SRT at 5.3 seconds and the PTGT 7.2 (ish). That's a big difference in that short of a time. I could be wrong, someone correct me on the GT times if I am.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 02:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

C&D rates the 05 GT 5-Speed Convertible to do a 1/4 mile at 15.4s @ 92 mph. You can figure that the GT wagons weigh less and should be doing close to 15.2s at the 1/4 mile.

I've taken my 04 GT 5-Speed to the track and based on the timeslips and my crappy launches (I'll get better at this) it does appear that the car is capable of 15.2s 1/4miles. My personal best so far is 15.6s @ 89.94 mph with a crappy 2.5s 60'. I also my tests were based on having nothing removed from my PT.

As for the HP on the GT manuals, I think reading at one time an 03 5-Speed Manual dynoed around 190 HP at the wheels (non-stage 1). The PCM, transmission, intakes, weight, suspension, no LSD, brick-aero dynamics (limits those 100+mph runs). 1st gear isn't the best starting gear, but after hiting 2nd the car starts pulling fast.

The GT manuals aren't SRT-4's, if you like those 13.9s and 14.2s 1/4miles than its a SRT-4 is a better buy than putting down additional money for the GT's to break into the 14's. However, with the price rebates that Chrysler has going, you can get a PT GT in the low 20k's.

My break down why to buy a GT vs. SRT-4 (Fast&Furious Standpoint):

GT:
1. Looks/Style - Lots of custom themes.
2. Laugh at people who got beat by a PT Cruiser.
3. If you lose to a race, at least you know the other guy doesn't gain much credibility beating grocery haulers.
4. 04's and up, you can slap a Stage 1 into it in 10 minutes and probably get into the high 14's with a manual (that's if you how to launch).
5. You don't have much chance against low 14's cars (i.e. STI, Evolution, 350Z, SRT-4).
6. Insurance is pretty cheap!
7. Handling is marginal, it's not as bad as people think it is, but nothing spectacular about it.
8. Configurable space to haul all your junk and Ka-Boom box.
9. A sleeper car that noone bothers to race. In addition, there is no official 5-Speed manual wagon 1/4mile times.
10. AGP is in the process of making a 400-500 hp GT. (Big Turbo kit).
11. 15 Gallon gas tank.

SRT-4:
1. 20k and your set.
2. You better win all your races against ricers, or you will be laughed at.
3. You will be challenged on the streets.
4. Out of the box you can get a high 13s 1/4 mile car.
5. Limited on style/themes compared to a PT.
6. Handling is good, better than the PT's.
7. Small gas tank. Roughly 10+ gallons.
8. Insurance is a killer!
9. No automatic option.
10. Plenty of mods to break into the 13's or 12's for some.
11. It's just downright fast for a 20k car. Hell, I would buy one if I had more space!
Old 10 Aug 2004, 04:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

A GT can put down some pretty fast times with a few mods. I raced a SRT-4 the other day at the track an won.
Psi-Fi makes a turbo upgrade that will bolt on to the GT. I would get it but I currently lack the $$$.
The GT is heavier and has the areodynics of a brick when compared to the SRT-4 but we have more style.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 02:21 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:[i]Power at the wheels is definately less for the PTGT than the SRT. I have seen in mags 0-60 times for the SRT at 5.3 seconds and the PTGT 7.2 (ish). That's a big difference in that short of a time. I could be wrong, someone correct me on the GT times if I am.
The 7.2 is for the autostick which will have much more driveline loss than a standard. (There was an add from chrysler stating the 5spd. was 1.3 sec faster in the stick.) The weight, tranny, and limited slip would definately make it faster than a PT. (And it is.)

Interesting article- for those who want to know whats inside their motor. http://hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0309_srt/

Again, I'm judging from my car. My best friend works at a porsche-volkswagen dealer, and I can keep up with his Boxter demo (and have won a few races also). He doesn't have a VW that can beat me.

Some additional reading Road and Track (June 2003) reported that after a dynamometer test of the Mitsubishi TD04LR turbocharged engine in the Dodge SRT-4 (same engine as used in the 2003 PT Cruiser GT) the output at the crankshaft was 238 bhp which is 23 bhp more than than claimed by the manufacturer. The findings, after subtracting 16 bhp for drivetrain loss, showed the turbocharged engine sends 222 bhp and 246 pound feet of torque to its front wheels. When Chrysler was asked about this because they rate the GT Turbo at 215 bhp they indicated that "It's always better to be a little conservative on your power ratings.

Just my input.

Don