Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo brakes - questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2005, 11:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Turbo brakes - questions

I have a Limited w/Turbo Lite - that has same brakes as regular PT, right??
Daughter has a GT - that has a slightly fatter (not diameter, but thickness) rotor, and slightly thinner pads, but caliper is bigger?

Seems I could use regular PT rotor/pads on the GT. I would get teh top-line rotors from NAPA, and the Ceramics from Raybestos.

ABove is my understanding - anyone know for sure????
Old 31 May 2005, 11:50 am
Young Cruiser

I doubt that they are interchangeable; the GT's front and rear are disk (larger in the front) & front caliper. Since the rotor is larger, the mounting location & pads would be different from non-GT models.
I may be wrong, but I've always seen separate part numbers for replacement brake parts for GTs vs. non-GTs.
Old 31 May 2005, 11:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

QSD,

The GT and turbo lite brake pads are the same part numbers. The GT does NOT use thinner pads, so the PT pads are the same. However, the shims are DIFFERENT. I just found out the Chrysler stopped selling the GT shims separately. In order to get the proper shims, you either have to spend $150 for the Mopar brake pad kit or find an aftermarket brake pad kit the comes with the proper shims. I know for sure that Raybestos Ceramic pads (Quiet Stop line from Raybestos found at Pep Boys and other parts stores) come with the NA shims, not the GT shims. This may not be the case if it is a NAPA part number.

You should NOT use NA PT rotors on a GT. The brake piston for the caliper has to move much further out to compensate for the thinner rotor. As the pad wears, the piston will have to move even further to compensate.

Scott
Old 01 Jun 2005, 03:44 am
Young Cruiser

hello QSD

please be very carefull with this!!! the main reason for the bigger brakes on the GT is to reduced heat. the bigger rotors & calipers act like heat sinks to remove heat. the pads from a N/A PT may work but please check mounting points and that the pad is as wide as the O M E parts. meaning the contact point where the pads hit the rotors. thinner at this point means less braking force and more pedal effort. and just as EBGT said a thinner pad may cause more piston travel which turns into more pedal travel or low pedal.

so please be careful BUD
Old 01 Jun 2005, 06:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have the Raybestos quiet stop pads on my GT. The shims in the box were the standard caliper type. I cleaned and reused the stock GT shims. The pads were otherwise identical to the stock GT pads.