Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Airbag color codes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2010, 07:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Airbag color codes

I want to paint my center dash bezel to match the airbag colver on my 2001 PT Cruiser Limited. It has the taupe leather seats. Some kind of silver metallic. Hope someone can help. Thanks, Bob
Billet Antenna, Rocket Taillights, Borla SS Duals, 18" Proline Alloys

I'm Lovin It
Old 05 May 2010, 12:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Airbag color codes

Hey their Bobster,

I believe it should be Paint Code S2 which is Bright Silver Metallic if I am not mistaken, but I would recommend trying to locate your local Automotive Paint Store and have them pull the code for you to get as close of a match as possible.

I would highly recommend trying to stay away from going with any premixed over the counter OEM touch up Paint as their are so many variables that come into play when dealing with automotive paint that you are almost certain to be off on shade and color by a very significant margin making it very much visible to the human eye. Especially if you are only going to re-shoot just the center bezel rather than re-shoot all three pieces of the dash together making it far less visible.

Here is a write up on the basics of painting your center bezel I did a while back.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ash-bezel.html

As an alternative to painting your center bezel yourself, you could opt to have a Mobile Service come out and paint your part for you. Most Dealerships have Mobile Airbrush Services that come out to the Dealer once or twice a week and do nothing but fix rock chip scratches, and repaint small parts when need be. Most have an on board Computerized mixing system and can mix up a good close to your color mix of the right paint for your vehicle, do the proper prep work, sand everything nice and smooth, properly spray all the chips nicks, and scratches out of your ride, add clear coat, buff everything out, and finish it off to where you usually cannot tell where the damage was in the first place. The best part is that they come to you weather at work, or home, are usually in and out in a matter of a couple of hours at the most, and usually for something like painting your bezel, should run on average in the neighborhood of around $100.00 - $150.00 or under. So this method is usually the fastest, easiest, and best way to take care of any and all rock chips in a professional manner that you can do hands down. By the time you were to buy all of the materials including paint, clear, sandpaper, finishing paper, making materials, compound, glaze, wax, and all other materials needed to do the complete project, you would be at the same, or higher cost than having them do it, and you will have much better results than you could ever achieve by doing it on your own by spray can no matter how steady your hand. For me, having it done professionally by a Mobile Service honestly is a much better way to go, and is what I would more recommend more so to make everything look proper as most people who spray paint their Interior Parts on their own usually don't do the prep work correctly, and usually wind up with a lot of orange peel in the paint itself, inconsistency in the gloss caused by not shooting the paint right, flaking of the paint over a matter of weeks if not days due to improper prep leading to poor paint adhesion, and more.

To give you a good idea of a center bezel that was shot correctly, here is mine. Now I had to shoot all three parts on mine to get a good match due to my having re-shot my entire PT in a custom mixed House of Kolor Kandy Tangerine Pearl, but to give you a better idea of what one looks like when shot the right way:

To locate an Air Brush Service near you, I would recommend trying to locate your local Automotive Paint Supply Store and ask them, check online under Mobile Bumper Repair Services, or contact your Local Dealership Service Writer and ask what Service they use.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck on which ever way you decide to go with shooting your center bezel, and whenever you get her all done, please remember I would love to see pic's of the final product. If you have any questions on anything, please feel free to ask me anytime and I would be more than happy to try to see if I could help in any way.

Go easy, and I will catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing