PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The FLAGSHIP - Panel Cruiser Continued

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2022, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: The FLAGSHIP - Panel Cruiser Continued

It actually got just warm enough today to spray paint on my paper and tape mockup of the 5 hole version.
The tape wouldn't even stick well to the urethane, even after cleaning it well.
So, I had to use duct tape....which still turns up at the edges to make the openings look a little smaller.

I think that this version is very workable, especially considering that the cross members are "U' shaped in cross section.
I can fill those channels with lightweight body filler, and grind away at the openings with no worry about perforating thru to cause open areas.
This would save a lot of free-hand bod putty adding.

Here is a pic of the cross member channels from the back side.
They will be easy to fill in.

Filling in those channels solid first will probably give me 1/2 inch on the top and bottom of each opening to grind away, making the spaces wider.
I might even lay in an aluminum rod in the center of one each cross member to give the whole grill more rigidity.
rockandroller likes this.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 21 Nov 2022, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Close measurments and design compared to the Bolivian model. Same edges,
but five slots, (not six) same slot curved end shape, same double bar dividers.
More, how to, info tomorrow. Don't cut up your PT Teaser grill till you see how
this one's modified.

21121_2.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chromed Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles/guards , PRND3-1 Bezel, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim. Cool Vanilla White shift ball, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry. Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers. Back up Camera, 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 22 Nov 2022 at 12:22 pm.
Old 21 Nov 2022, 10:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Same measurments and design in all respects as the Bolivion model. Same edges,
same six slots, (not five) same slot curved end shape, same double bar dividers.
More, how to, info tomorrow. Don't cut up your PT Teaser grill till you see how
this one's modified.

Attachment 50594
Is that your drawing??
5 slots?

To me, there is no special magic to the 6 space slots in the Brazilian grill.
The grill will look good when the proper proportion of rib width to open space width is obtained through grinding.
And, enough open space to effectively cool the engine, if driven some.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by soonercruiser; 22 Nov 2022 at 01:57 am.
Old 22 Nov 2022, 08:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Is that your drawing??
5 slots?

To me, there is no special magic to the 6 space slots in the Brazilian grill.
The grill will look good when the proper proportion of rib width to open space width is obtained through grinding.
And, enough open space to effectively cool the engine, if driven some.

Your right, there is no magic. Basing the modification on the Bazilian model I focused on creating a replica of the Brazilion grill and overlooked the modification having five slots, not six. A late evening miscount. With five slots opened by removing the vertical areas there should be enough air flow to cool the radiator. Apparently the Brazilion model was not one of a kind, built on a PT Teaser grill, but a unique Brazilion product in it's own right.

My first experience with grill modifications was in 1965, doing my first frame off restoration. A 41 Ford Coupe named "The Steet Cleaner". (That's another story)Two years of garage work were done. Everything was reassembed except the grills that needed replacing.The center was toast. Filling the grill with Bondo while waiting for a new grill set from J.C. Warsharski was a mistake. The first road test with the filled grill, thirty minutes driving Pennsylvania's mountainous
roads was a challange. The filled in grill blocked more air flow than I expected. Theflathead V8 began overheating. Fortunately I brought a jug of water. After the flathead cooled down I gave it a drink and made it back to my garage. , down hill all the way. Coincidentally, the Warshaski grills came from Brazil. The first set began rusting in less than six months. Fortunately, a Portuguese accented gentleman saw the rusting grills. He owned the Brazilion factory that produced the grills and wanted to replace them. Could I sent the rusted grills to his factory to find the reason for the rusting? He mailed me a new set of grills explaining their chroming process personel needed retraining.
First mistake with a grill. Blocked air flow to radiator .................................................. ....................................New three piece chrome grills.

357-640x438.jpgIMG_20221122_071301036G.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chromed Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles/guards , PRND3-1 Bezel, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim. Cool Vanilla White shift ball, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry. Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers. Back up Camera, 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 22 Nov 2022 at 06:28 pm.
Old 22 Nov 2022, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's the how to if you decide to use this modification on your PT Teaser grill.
(1)Counting from the very top cross bar, on cross bars 11 and 12, as they're the same size, measure new edge line from cross bar ends on slotted areas. Similar to Brazilion model.
(2)Using above dimension, measure from end of all cross bars to outer grill edge.
(3)The five slot cross bars are, 3 - 4, 6 - 7, 9 - 10, 12 - 13, 15 and grill bottom. Sketch guide line through all cross bars, passing inside the end of most cross bars. Run reference tape along guide line.
(4)Sketch curve on both slot ends. 3/8" in from where edge of guide line passes upper slot cross bar to bottom slot cross bar, alligning bottom of curve to inside grill edge. Curve repeats with slight change in diameter angle untill the 4th slot cross bars 12 and 13. Allign edge of these curves with first side post on slot bottom cross bar. Construct cardboard dam behind these curves defining curve, height, taper and length. Secure with tape from top of each bottom slot to 3/8' in under each top slot cross bars. Achieving a similarity to the Brazilion model.
(5) Pre-sand and clean all grill areas. Grind out all verticle posts in slot areas. Before grinding, prefill with structrual Bondo for convience. Leave remaining posts in spacer areas for strength.
(6)Remove reference guide line tape. Install strong tape, wood or cardboard strip behind each spacer area as a backer for structural Bondo.
(7)With structural Bondo, fill in areas between each spacer in cross bar using top edges of cross bars surface guide. Fill in areas of outer grill edge including spacer area's curved dam. Leaving enough thickness to grind to a similar shape and thickness as these areas in the Brazilion model.
(8) When structrual Bondo has cured and applied to satisfaction, grind and shape to finish Bondo stage. Areas include spacer surfaces, edge surfaces and "V" fills in slot cross bars.
(9)Apply finish Bondo. Sand and smooth. Reapply as needed. Sand and smooth.
(10) Clean, prime, sand, clean and finish.

21121_2.jpgPPP.jpg
OFUX.jpg

Last edited by ptprice; 22 Nov 2022 at 06:32 pm.
Old 22 Nov 2022, 12:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So really, your drawing is essentially the same as my 5 opening mockup.
You kinda loose me about half way through all your numbered instruction steps.
But, my plan is about the same.

I don't have a good end grinder, so that will be a trip to Lowes today.
Just something inexpensive enough for this project.
I did some research on Urethane friendly body fillers.
Last night I ordered a gallon of Evercoat Lightweight body filler, and spray urethane adhesive.
The Evercoat Lightweight is supposed to be slightly flexible, and compatible with Urethane.
That should work well on this project and the Urethane.

My plan is, when filling in the front sides of the cross members, to start with a partial layer of Urethane foam in order to keep the weight down.
And generous use of the Urethane adhesive.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by soonercruiser; 22 Nov 2022 at 01:03 pm.
Old 22 Nov 2022, 03:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
So really, your drawing is essentially the same as my 5 opening mockup.
You kinda loose me about half way through all your numbered instruction steps.
But, my plan is about the same.

I don't have a good end grinder, so that will be a trip to Lowes today.
Just something inexpensive enough for this project.
I did some research on Urethane friendly body fillers.
Last night I ordered a gallon of Evercoat Lightweight body filler, and spray urethane adhesive.
The Evercoat Lightweight is supposed to be slightly flexible, and compatible with Urethane.
That should work well on this project and the Urethane.

My plan is, when filling in the front sides of the cross members, to start with a partial layer of Urethane foam in order to keep the weight down.
And generous use of the Urethane adhesive.
Just a bit different. Figuring you wanted to keep the modifications as close to the Brazilian model as possible I took the time to work up the modification. Not withstanding, it has five slot not six, there are curved slot ends. Note the referred to curved slot ends in the insert below. Not very noticable in the modification photo but clearly explained in item (4) the italicized section of the how to instructions.
Good luck with your project.

OFUXc.jpg

Last edited by ptprice; 22 Nov 2022 at 06:42 pm.
Old 22 Nov 2022, 08:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Just a bit different. Figuring you wanted to keep the modifications as close to the Brazilian model as possible I took the time to work up the modification. Not withstanding, it has five slot not six, there are curved slot ends. Note the referred to curved slot ends in the insert below. Not very noticable in the modification photo but clearly explained in item (4) the italicized section of the how to instructions.
Good luck with your project.

Attachment 50611
Don't worry!
I saw them.

Old 23 Nov 2022, 04:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sprayed the openings red, so I don't confuse what areas to grind out.
Will probably do the grinding in the back first, narrowing down the front to back width of the cross ribs.

**And thinking ahead; I will probably do the most of the grinding on the cross rib on the bottom surface upwards....in order to disguise any potential blemishes.
Next picture should be of the backs surface ground, and opening verticals ground out.
Maybe this weekend.

Old 23 Nov 2022, 09:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Very Cool my friend ! I know your cruiser will turn out nice.
Doug
soonercruiser likes this.