PT Cruiser Forum

PT Cruiser Forum (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northeast PT Forum (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help! Need advise please (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59934)

Chrissy78 18 May 2016 12:52 pm

Help! Need advise please
 
Just acquired a 2005 vanilla pt cruiser 76000 miles great shape but it sat for over a year and the check engine lights has come on. Code says issue with brake switch. Replaced switch. Drove 50 miles to reset and light came back on with the same code. Now my horn doesn't work. And I have a fast blinking turn signal on the left which we thought indicated a dead bulb. Bulb was switched still have a fast blink. Please help. Any advise would be appreciated.

ptcruisersteve 18 May 2016 03:25 pm

Re: Help! Need advise please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrissy78 (Post 610435)
Just acquired a 2005 vanilla pt cruiser 76000 miles great shape but it sat for over a year and the check engine lights has come on. Code says issue with brake switch. Replaced switch. Drove 50 miles to reset and light came back on with the same code. Now my horn doesn't work. And I have a fast blinking turn signal on the left which we thought indicated a dead bulb. Bulb was switched still have a fast blink. Please help. Any advise would be appreciated.


What was the code you got for the brake switch?

Chrissy78 18 May 2016 07:43 pm

Re: Help! Need advise please
 
I am getting 3 codes now since the switch has been changed p0457 p0456 and p0572

Chrissy78 18 May 2016 07:53 pm

Re: Help! Need advise please
 
P0572 was the original code.

LionPT 18 May 2016 08:00 pm

Re: Help! Need advise please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrissy78 (Post 610495)
I am getting 3 codes now since the switch has been changed p0457 p0456 and p0572


P0456: EVAP
P0457: EVAP
P0572: Brake Switch 1 Stuck On
Quote:

When the brake pedal is depressed, the stop light switch sends a signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). When the ECM receives this signal, it cancels the cruise control.
All 3 codes could be from a bad vacuum hose. I suggest checking all the vacuum lines especially to & from the cruise control.

P0456/0457 could also be a bad gas cap.

ptcruisersteve 18 May 2016 09:37 pm

Re: Help! Need advise please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrissy78 (Post 610496)
P0572 was the original code.

P0572 = Brake Switch Circuit Low Conditions:

Possible Causes:

1. Intermittent condition Fused B+ circuit problem
2. Brake switch sense circuit is shorted to ground
3. Brake switch is closed
4. PCM has failed

Was the installation instructions followed when replacing the brake switch?

VsandFords 19 May 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Help! Need advise please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrissy78 (Post 610435)
And I have a fast blinking turn signal on the left which we thought indicated a dead bulb. Bulb was switched still have a fast blink. Please help. Any advise would be appreciated.

My suggestion on checking to see if a blinker is not working is to turn on the hazard lights, walk around the vehicle and check all lights. I know a PT Cruiser is not like this, some vehicles have more than one bulb on each side that blink. There have been times when people would turn on the blinker , see one bulb blinking fast and not check the other side to see if there should be two or more that blink.

The old style mechanical flashers work off of a load/resistance. That's why you have to replace the flasher when you swap to LED lights. There is no resistance and it won't blink.

With saying all of this, I am making sure you are looking a the front and rear of the vehicle to be sure that all of the bulbs that should be blinking are.

Chrissy78 19 May 2016 09:42 pm

Re: Help! Need advise please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve (Post 610513)
P0572 = Brake Switch Circuit Low Conditions:

Possible Causes:

1. Intermittent condition Fused B+ circuit problem
2. Brake switch sense circuit is shorted to ground
3. Brake switch is closed
4. PCM has failed

Was the installation instructions followed when replacing the brake switch?

I am going to assume that the instructions were followed when replacing the switch because it was done by the mechanic but I can't say for certain.

ptcruisersteve 19 May 2016 10:06 pm

Re: Help! Need advise please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrissy78 (Post 610645)
I am going to assume that the instructions were followed when replacing the switch because it was done by the mechanic but I can't say for certain.

Was it done recently? If so I would take it back and ask them to make sure the brake switch is operating properly.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 am.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243