Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
08 PT shift problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2012, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 08 PT shift problems

UptownCruiser et al: I took my 2009 PT Cruiser to the dealership today. I gave the service agent a written description of the problem I was having. A couple of hours later the service agent called me and said the technician was able to duplicate the problem. He said the technician said the hydraulic fluid was contaminated and he said the entire clutch assembly (pressure plate, throw-out bearing, etc. and the hydraulic system needed to be replaced). He said it's a big job because there is a lot of labor necessary just to get to the clutch. The estimate is $1,900 and at least two days of work.

I copied and pasted your suggested fix to a word document and attached it to an email that I sent to the service representative. I then called the service representative to ask him to discuss the document with the technician. He said he would do so. He called me back a few minutes later and said that there is no such adjustment on the 2009 PT Cruiser.

In my earlier post I did not mention that that this is my second 5 speed PT Cruiser. I purchased my first PT Cruiser from the same dealership in 2005. It was a used car and had about 32,000 miles on it when I bought it. The clutch failed (completely) within about 8,000 of my purchase. I took it in stride because I thought the previous owner might have been hard on the clutch. Now I'm beginning to wonder. I've driven cars with standard transmission all my life - five or six VW Bugs, and five Datsun Nissan Z cars. I've never had this failure rate at such low mileage. Actually, I think I've only had to replace one clutch over the history of all my other cars.

Last edited by BillCruiser; 26 Jun 2012 at 07:08 pm. Reason: punctuation
Old 26 Jun 2012, 07:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Interesting; a lot of failures are due to 'mixing up' fluids.

Heater core in my Neon failed due to oil being in system at one point in time (Headgasket?)

That being said, contamination couldn't have caused clutch and throw out bearing to fail, if they have, indeed failed.

I would take vehicle to a mom & pop guy and ask them their opinion, and look, yourself under dash- It's entirely possible (but not likely) that Chrysler changed system in 2009, and we're unaware.

If there is an adjustment, you've got nothing to lose by turning your own wrench, and a couple grand to gain.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 09:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I agree with uptown, contaminated fluid would probably not cause the clutch etc. system to go out AND if your hydraulic clutch system is bad what about your brake system? They share the same fluid, (on a 08 anyway)... If they legitimately need to replace one system then they should have to replace both. Also if you bought it new and it has only been serviced by an authorized dealer then its their fault!