Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
After replacing all 4 speaker + what I think after

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2006, 08:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default After replacing all 4 speaker + what I think after

I replaced the front speakers with some SONY XS-GF1630 3-WAY 6 1/2" SPEAKERS and the rear with Sony 2-way 6"x8"

The front: SHOULD BE bigger than 6-1/2". I could not have more than ONE screw attach to the OEM holes because the new 6-1/2" was too small. I find that even with a 6-3/4 only 2 holes can be screw to the OEM holes. The front is a pain. It cannot have a perfect no matter what. You will need a wider bracket for any 6" speaker for this one or u will have to drill some holes.......One thing u must remember is that U MUST get a speaker with the same depth as the OEM(very thin) or else ur window glass will bump into the back of the speaker. Again a pain to find out at the very end. Other problem is removing the door panels. These panels are glue together by some of the hardest holding poppers out there. I find out that U should start yanking it at the speaker area with FORCE and all the poppers will pop off easily but still it was a pain.

The Rear: is another story the panels are easy to remove and the speakers are easy to unscrew EXCEPT that one of the screw is hard to reach because another pastic panel is in the way BUT it's still removable. the 6x8 speakers fit PERFECTLY! all holes lined up so I DO NOT know why u guy say it should be 5x7.......again make sure the the new speaker are not thicker than the OEM speaker or else the back magnet will hit body panel and make installing impossible. One more problem of installing(attatching) the speakers to the rear is that u can only attatch 3 screw to them cause one screw hole is unreachable unleast u want to remove the WHOLE side panel which I did not do but 3 is enough........DO NOT force ur way in trying to screw the screw in a little side way or else u'll damage the speaker.

The result: No big differences.......The rear is about the same maybe it's because I have only installed a 2 way speaker but that would be already better than the OEM. The front I have 3 ways speakers and I can hear more details BUT BUT BUT the bass seem to be lower than the OEMs......I think because these new speakers are smaller than OEM and a little shallower.

In the end: would I replace the OEMs again if one of them haven't cracked? NOT in a Million years. Yes now you can hear more detail sounds from the front speakers but bass decreased. Also I couldn't tell the difference from the rear. Only think I can say is that sound got a little more Crisp. One think I would do over again is get 3-way speakers for the rear also but I am not sure if having a 3-way instead of 2 ways would make any difference for the rear.

Now that I'm done and it only took me 1 hours for all 4 speakers today including wiring them right. I wonder if I want to get a MP3 player plus a Subwoofer or keep the OEM unit and just get a sub. What I really want all along is more bass and after changing out all the speakers I got less[xx(] BUT I knew all along that Iw ould end up like this
Old 17 Mar 2006, 08:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I didn't think the OEM speakers were that bad, so I just added the rear 8½" subwoofer (NOS-8 by Bazooka) powered by a 200w Clarion AMP under the driver front seat. All the BASS you could ever ask for. In fact for my old ears, the AMP is turned down to it's lowest setting.

Old 17 Mar 2006, 10:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

it looks nice but it would killed the purpose of having the PT for me. I every sq.inch of the rear space.

I just ordered a Dual XDMR7700 CD/MP3/WMA Receiver and a Kenwood KSC-SW1 Powered Enclosed Subwoofer(not the woox but almost the same)

receiver $180+subwoofer$160 shipping all including so it should be cool for a $340 upgrade.

I figure I will be with this baby for another yr or 2 so I better get a good system to take out all the road and body panel noise[|)]

I can't wait until I got my reciever install and have it flip open automatically[?]

Old 18 Mar 2006, 03:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

I also just replaced the front door and rear pillars with the Cerwin Vega Stealth series speakers. I used 6.5's up front and 5X7's in the back. I already had the Mopar subwoofer, and noticed a big difference in clarity, especially after I installed the rear speakers. Also, since the speakers have a bit higher sensitivity then the stock speakers, They sound a bit louder than the stock. I agree that it's not a huge difference, but it is very noticeable. I didn't have that much problem with installation, since I knew that the stock speakers were 6.75". I went to the local stereo store, and asked for a mounting ring that reduced from 6.75 to 6.5 speakers, and they actually give me a set for free. Once I got those, mounting the speakers were a piece of cake. The mounting rings also give you a bit more leeway with the speaker depth. This was the first time I've ever installed speakers in an auto, and I didn't think it was too difficult a job. I like how it sounds now, but I did't think it sounded that bad to begin with either. I was just after a little better sound, and I think I accomplised that.

I do have a set of 4" speakers waiting to go into the dash, in place of the tweeters. I know it's going to require some cutting, so I may have them professionally installed. I've heard that this makes the biggest difference in sound (other than a sub, and a new amp). I'm keeping my stock head unit, since I have the navigation radio.
Old 26 May 2007, 04:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: After replacing all 4 speaker + what I think after

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser, and want to change my rears. I read on one post that some guy fit 6x9's in the back. I have a set of Infinities 6x9 from a previous car and would like to use them. Other people say the max is a 6x8. I tried to fit them in, but the magnet is too deep. Question is, would a 6x9 fit if I cut out the pillar and use the grills that came with them? I spent $250 on them last year and are collecting dust in the closet. Hate to spend money on an odd ball size speaker that I wont be able to use anywhere else.

Any suggestions?

Old 12 Jun 2007, 03:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

For front speaker replacement I highly recommend the metal clips with screw hole openings in them. You can slide four of those on the metal around the opening, then just screw each speaker hole into the each clip for a perfect central fit. I used baffles between the clips and speakers; it took me a little while to get the screws in the clips so they wouldnt slide off, but once I was done the front speakers were dead tight in the center of the opening on the front doors.

The KFC-X170 speakers I bought for $65 a pair from onlinecarstereo.com (free shipping) included these clips for general purpose use with the screws.

I don't have the luxury of a perfect fit in the back of my 06, since Chrysler went to cirular speakers in the rear doors. What's funny is the mount isn't at all like the front and so I had to drill 4 holes into each plastic mount for speaker attachment.

Zack
Old 03 Jul 2007, 09:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just installed POLK 651's in my 2006 PT and they made a real nice difference . The location (all door mount) of the speakers on the PT probably don't help much with certain speakers I would guess (soundwise), but I had Polk's in my Dakota and put the next gen 6.5's in the PT and they sound terrific. Buy from Crutchfield . Prices are competitive and they supply all you need for any installation. Putting them in my PT took about 25 minutes for all 4 (door speakers only). Crutchfield did not charge me for the wiring adapters between the speakers and stock connector for the stock speakers, as well as the mount adapter, which lays flat, so speakers do not protrude into door trim. The adapters mount the speakers real nice and easy and fit into the stock door mounts. Again - they did not charge me anything for the adapters or connectors and all was very simple.
As far as the 6 X 9's in the rear, I had no idea those mounts were even there until I pulled the trim back to hide my Sirius antenna. I assume, as most things on these cars, the wiring is all there even though the car came without the premium sound system ? I've found they made these for the most part, with all optional harnesses installed, so they just plug in or not in production for different model PT's.
The 6X9 mounts are behind the vertical trim panels, against the back door, above the shelf. They pull away very easily and the cutouts are sitting there ready to go. What could be simpler ??? 6X9's are next for my car .

Last edited by calflan; 03 Jul 2007 at 09:03 am.
Old 06 Jul 2007, 09:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I replaced the OEM speakers once and didn't notice any difference. In fact, the stock speakers sounded better than the replacement speakers. Added a Mopar subwoofer. Now that really helped with the sound, especially the bass.
Old 06 Jul 2007, 11:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

As long as your happy with system, that's all that counts.
To Many Modifications, Trophies, Awards, to list. i.e. 2005 Cruiser Quarterly Spring Issue Cover Feature. 2007-2004 Chrysler Custom Modified Vehicle Award Winner SEMA/NACE/C.E.S./World Of Wheels/ISCA/NCCA. 2003 Top Ten Chrysler PT Cruiser Custom Court Show Runner Up.
www.cardomain.com/ride/450026

Last edited by fear1pt; 06 Jul 2007 at 11:35 pm.
Old 07 Jul 2007, 12:04 am
Regular Cruiser

The factory speakers are pure junk, especially the tiny little itty bitty things in the dash. Honestly, I think those of you who experienced little or no improvement just chose the wrong speakers. The Polks that calflan chose are excellent as are MBQuart and Infinity. I replaced all six speakers in my 2004 with Infinity Reference units that I bought on ebay for $154.00 shipped. Last year's models, but new in box - awesome speakers for an awesome price!! The difference in sound quality, improvement in soundstage and imaging was quite dramatic.

Later I added a Kenwood WooX powered subwoofer under the drivers seat and I love the thing. Again, purchased on ebay for a measly $90, new in box. The overall package is perfectly fine for my needs as I have no interest in giving up rear cargo space to a set of amps and 12" woofers. Add in the Mopar iPod integration kit and I'm controlling my iPod from the factory head unit, all the while charging the iPod as it sits hidden in the glovebox. Great stuff!!