Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dimming lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2010, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dimming lights

Ok, it's been years since the last time I had a system, and the ole brain didnt retain much from those days

With that said, when I am playing my stereo with the volume up at a good level, I notice the headlights (and dash), dimming to the beat of the subs. Obviously, there's power drain in there. Question is, any harm with this? ( i do turn the stereo down a bit at night now.

What are my options, new battery and alternator? Like I said, been awhile, so forgive the (most likely) obvious questions and answers.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 01:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Dimming lights

Kind of an old post, but since no one responded-- the first thing I'd start with is what most call a 'hypergrounding' system, in which you run wires directly from the negative terminal of your battery to key points under the hood of the car.

If you do a quick search for 'hyperground', you should find some more information about it.

Doing this essentially makes all the grounds on the car TRUE grounds, and eliminates one factor of dimming lights. It worked perfectly for me, but it depends on how much power you're running.. but it's cheap enough and simple enough to do, and if it fixes your issue, it's a whole lot cheaper than a battery or alternator.