PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Speark Install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2004, 09:09 am
Young Cruiser

Default Rear Speark Install

Good morning.

I've gotten new speakers for my Cruiser and I was going to install the rear ones this morning. However, when I removed the pillar cover I noticed two things.

1. If you are facing the speakers from the back seat, the lower left screw is partially obscured by some of the other interior car coverings. I can't get to it cleanly with a regular philips screw driver. How do you get to this screw to get it loose?

2. The speaker itself actually seems to be "attached" to the car body. It appears to be kind of stuck. Do you actually need to "pry" to the speaker away from the body?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04 Apr 2004, 09:41 am
Cool Cruiser

http://ptdoityourself.net/pitpass/gu...speaker.html#3
Old 04 Apr 2004, 09:57 am
Senior Cruiser

Hang in there wyzard, someone will be along soon to give you a helping hand[?]
Old 04 Apr 2004, 10:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Here this will help, my rear speakers were glued on.just start at the
top and pull .they will come off.That is once you get the four screw off.

Speakers

The OEM speakers utilized in the rear pillars are 5" x 7" premium grade mid-range speakers.

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. To access the battery the air cleaner housing must be removed. See the guide here.

2. Remove the upper D-pillar trim cover, which conceals each speaker.

A. Pry off the left and right D-pillar trim cover, adjacent to the rear hatch, by gently inserting a trim stick or your fingers between the trim cover and the pillar near any corner of the cover and prying it off. There are four mounting clips on the back of the trim cover, which mate up with mounting cavities in the pillar.

3. Remove the speaker retaining screws.

A. There are 4 Phillips head screws, which hold the speaker in place. You will have easy access to 3 of 4 screws, but the 4th screw is partially obstructed by the panel below the speaker. Use an offset Phillips head screwdriver to remove this one or loosen or remove the obstructing panel.

4. Remove the speaker from the metal mounting cavity and disconnect the wire harness connector.

Installation Procedure

1. Connect the wire harness connector to the speaker and position the speaker within the vacant mounting cavity.

2. Install the four speaker screws. Tighten to 2 N-m or 24 in./lbs.

3. Install the D-pillar trim covers by aligning the four mounting pins on the back of each trim cover with the mounting cavities in the pillar. Once aligned, pop them into place.

4. Reconnect the negative battery cable and reinstall the air cleaner housing. See the guide here.

Final Notes -

A site visitor, Don Chennavasin, wrote that if you're replacing the 6-3/4" OEM door speakers with a similar size aftermarket speaker do not assume that the aftermarket speaker will be an exact drop in replacement. Dependent upon the aftermarket speaker manufacturer you may still need a speaker adapter, since the mounting holes on the new speaker may not match the mounting holes found on the OEM speaker.

In addition, although the dash speaker opening is 3-1/2", the cut out diameter may be too small for many 3-1/2" speakers. I purchased the Kicker DX35 (a drop in replacement, according to Crutchfield), but the flange of the speaker was too large for the OEM opening. In looking through the forums one owner who installed this speaker had to expand the opening to accommodate the speaker.

Click here to view the Speaker Wire Color Code guide.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 04 Apr 2004, 10:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Jimbo - you are a good forum member and outstanding member of the PT community. You provided all of the information that was requested as opposed to directing wyzard (a new user) to a pay site.

Great job!!

[?]
Old 04 Apr 2004, 10:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AndyKay

Jimbo - you are a good forum member and outstanding member of the PT community. You provided all of the information that was requested as opposed to directing wyzard (a new user) to a pay site.

Great job!!

[?]
Andy the key word there is new

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 04 Apr 2004, 12:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

When I took my rear speakers out I had trouble to with that one screw. What I did is got a small socket ranch and got it off that way. Itcame off very easierly. Try this and see if that works. And you do have to pry the speaker off. Try to do it evenly so you don't bend the speaker in case you want to put them back.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/529247
Old 04 Apr 2004, 02:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I'll try them and I'm sure I'll be able to get through this. With all the mods I've done to my PT, it's always the thing that seems like it will be the easiest that always throws a monkey wrench into the works.
Old 04 Apr 2004, 05:33 pm
Young Cruiser

ALRIGHT!! The offset screw driver worked!!
Old 05 Apr 2004, 08:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

I knew it would[?]

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)