Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Red Security Light Flashing; Vehicle Won't Start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2016, 08:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Red Security Light Flashing; Vehicle Won't Start

Hi all! I have a 2007 PT Cruiser that sits as my backup vehicle. Just the other day I went for a routine start (I live in Alaska) and the battery was dead af. Nothing came on at all. I hooked it up to a charger and all the lights/radio/etc started working. However, when I went to turn the key, the vehicle wouldn't turn over. It didn't even engage the starter. I figured it might just be a worthless battery (I can't even remember how old it is). Sometimes the cold messes with things. Well I picked up a new battery and same deal. I have, however, noticed a red flashing dot on the dash. I've done some research and it seems this is part of the factory security system. I don't know what could have caused this to trigger. I've changed batteries before with no issues, but I don't know if it's ever been that dead. For the record I have the big fat black keys with the lock, unlock, and panic buttons. I've tried locking and unlocking the doors electronically, and it doesn't disable it. Neither of the keys work, as well. The only reason I'm thinking it's the security system is because I've never seen that dot flash like that before. Also, it sometimes makes a ding if I leave the key in for a bit. Thank you in advanced.

Last edited by ImplicitWeevil; 14 Jan 2016 at 03:02 pm.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 09:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Red Security Light Flashing; Vehicle Won't Start

I have not had this problem but another member posted that it did work for him.

Try opening the rear hatch with the chipped key. Post back and let us know if this works. If it doesn't then there is another method but it requires a battery charger.

You might want to introduce yourself and tell us a little about your Pt Cruiser.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Jan 2016 at 10:21 am.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the response! No, unfortunately it didn't work. I also tried unlocking the driver door with the key. The first time it shut off the light (until I put it in the ignition and tried to start it). The second time I unlocked the door it set off the alarm when I opened it. Huh. Hatch opened no problem. Well if there's another method I'm all for it. I do have a battery charger. Are the ones for home use, that you plug in, suitable? Also, I just came across this video.

He has the exact same problem as me, except his light is solid. Do you happen to know the location of that fuse in this vehicle? I might give this a try, as well.
Also, my mistake, this is on the 2007 PT Cruiser, Touring Edition. It has 83,XXX miles. It ends up being my backup vehicle most of the year; it gets driven maybe a 4 times. I really like the red these come in. XD

Last edited by ImplicitWeevil; 14 Jan 2016 at 03:03 pm.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 06:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Remove the battery cable for about ten minutes and then hook it back up. The SKIM has to do a handshake with the PCM when the the battery is initially hooked up or when the SKEM or PCM is installed. If something went wrong to mess up this handshake, it may give you the effect you have.

It's also possible that this has nothing to do with the SKEM but is just a blown ignition fuse. There are conditions where the red light will keep blinking if the car is not started or at least the ignition is turned. And if this can't fully happen, you might see what you are getting now. But do the battery thing first.

Also, are you really sure the old battery was bad? Did they load test it before selling your the new one? We could well be obsessing over the wrong problem here.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Jan 2016 at 07:06 pm.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Awesome, thanks; I'll go do that. That's a very good possibility; I believe it had to be jumpstarted at one point. It's possible that f'd up a fuse somewhere. Well, I'm pretty sure the battery is still usable; however, it was 100% drained at one point. No lights or anything. I don't even think the shift lever light was on, or it was really dim. I did manage to charge it, though. So I don't think it was bad so much as it was drained. Tbh I just changed the battery because old ones can sometimes cause no crank conditions in the cold, and it was probably like 5 years old. I can bring it back if need be, but it needed to happen anyway. There's a new one in there now, so it should be a non-factor now but I can't say what happened with the fiddling on the old one.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 09:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest another method that another member had said it worked for him to unlock the security system after I had him try these instructions.

Park the PT Cruiser where you can leave it for two hours with a battery charger hooked up.

First fully charge the battery with the battery charger. After it is fully charged turn the ignition key to the "ON" position with the battery charger still charging (The engine is not running). Do not have anything else on such as lights, radio, etc. Leave the ignition to the "ON" position for two hours. After two hours turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position and then disconnect the battery charger. Now try to start the PT Cruiser. Post what happens.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I've tried disconnecting the battery for well over ten minutes; same deal. I've set it up for the process Steve has suggested. I'll check on it in two hours (if I wake up anyway). It's getting pretty late in my day so I'll take a nap (I might make even less sense otherwise). Thank you guys for all the help! By the way, Handy, where might the ignition fuse be located?
Old 13 Jan 2016, 01:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 06:59 pm. Reason: MUST WEAR MY DIGUISE
Old 13 Jan 2016, 02:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Everything works as far as I can tell. Radio, clock, dash lights, outside lights, dome light, locks, horn. I'll go check the wipers, heater and.. I'm not sure there's much else unless I'm forgetting something. The only thing that doesn't seem to function is the starter, but it doesn't have any of the typical starter problems; nor did it show any signs it was going out. It simply does nothing. I turn the key to initiate the starter and not a single thing happens. No sound, nothing. There's just that flashing dot, battery sign, and airbag/seatbelt sign that's usually lit before you start the vehicle. Good to know about the ding; I don't believe it happens everytime, though (should it?). I'll check that as well.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 02:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I might be crazy but I don't see a #1 fuse in there. I see where it's labeled and I guess should be, but there's no fuse there.

Tags
flashing, immobilizer, red flashing dot, security, won't start