Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By zztunnell
  • 2 Post By uncomn
  • 2 Post By uncomn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2016, 03:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Dash 'speakers'

hi ive read what there is here but im confussed, youtube i watched a vid saying components were better because of legs and when i priced them online i saw they have a secondary tiny tweeter with them...(i was guessing to put in the dash part) and some sort of box, crossover i think it was called...

then on here i read someone used marine 'plox' or something "coaxials' in the place of the little dash speakers!? (if so then what in the doors?)

i have to remove all my dash trim for an unrelated wiring issue and replace the instrument bulbs too so i decided to do the speakers now aswell while its off that were on my list for later.... any pointers taken and greatly appreciated.

2005 GT 2.4 Dark Plum Pearl
Old 06 May 2016, 02:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Dash 'speakers'

So... I went it alone lol, and all was going well, i took lots of pics that will post soon, but right now i could do with some tips from anybody who has changed their door speakers......specifically i got crossovers and am having a nightmare...lots of cuts and dirt on my hands but had to give up for today after a good hour trying to feed it up and in with no joy...... i cant get the wires from the door to the car body, the only hole is the factory one with the rubber piping, has anybody got an exact way that works getting wires in there next to the factory ones.....i tried and failed and i even gave up and thought that grommet up above might of been a go-er but no joy the inside side was a no go zone......if i could just get these wires through without messing anything up im home and dry, would prefer the crossover on the inside but threading the wire down seems tighter than up.....or im open to any other less impressive looking methods im at that 'dont really care' point now....my only other thought was drilling the car wall. (even that is awkward).

Old 07 May 2016, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

I havent changed mine out yet. In the past I have taped the end of the wires to end of a wire coat hanger and fished them through that way.
uncomn likes this.
Old 08 May 2016, 01:20 am
Young Cruiser

Please take pictures of this project, something I want to do over the summer. Thanks.
Old 13 May 2016, 03:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

You know that coat hanger might be the only way you could do it i wish id thought of that...as long as the end is the non sharp one.... it was tight in there i got a long way up with a rubber pipe but it just got too tight and my fingers were sore, the actual grommet that goes through to the car is in two bits so you can catch it in between, and little room inside to try and get your hand in (esp on the fuse box side) it honestly had me pulling my hair out i was swearing, etc, you name it lol.

but in the end i was glad i did it, but those crossover wires were a pain! those grommets omg i spent over half an hour just trying to get one of those back on, the first day i tried without pulling them off but youll see in my photos i gave up fishing it through, the best way i decided was to pierce the grommet and just follow it, but that meant peeling it back to make sure i didnt stanley knife knick a window wire.......... anyway, im not ashamed of the way i did it its not perfect but it is good enough for me its not like im doing a car show! so im ok with it, and nobody will see it, plus its neat anyway.

as for the crossovers i got the first one in the passenger side inside the car, and taped it up, the second one this just was not happening so i taped it in the door (looks worse in the pics than it is)

as for the sound ive not decided on my head unit yet be it a flip out 7" single din screen (pioneer) or a 380bt pioneer so while they are not much louder yet they are cleaner sounding, plus though im not installing an amp i am going to install an under drivers seat woofer (in that big gap that stuff rolls under! perfect!) again pioneer do a metal one that is highly rated so ill go with that. using boot space is not something i even considered. OH AND SEE IF YOU CAN SPOT WHAT I FOUND BEHIND ONE OF THE BACK SPEAKERS LOL. i was slightly underwhelmed with the new 6x8s but maybe they need to be warmed up, i thought they would have more of a kick, saying that i didnt realize they were going to be coaxials, the front components are definetly better!!, oh that reminds me make sure you check your positive and neg wires, and that all speakers are same, i used the multimeter on dc volts. ( oh and the guy in the shop informed me the little resistor you can see attached to the old tweeter is the in line 'crossover' so if you are taking that out you will not be able to dodge installing new ones) like i was planning haha

i think my photos will make clear how i sorted the tweeters out i was amazed how well this was possible......but if anyones not clear feel free to message me. my makita multitool was handy but not necessary you could probably do it with just the dremmel type thing or even a drill and just a hacksaw........Good Luck.

my tips, have all the tools ready, prepare to go a bit deeper and dirtier than you had thought, and give yourself an extra day for when you get pi**ed off, lose patience and quit on the first one (although a day is plenty really)

images here, not all interesting some were just for my reference plus other PT jobs https://www.flickr.com/photos/142485...h/26886843236/

Last edited by uncomn; 13 May 2016 at 03:40 pm.
Old 20 May 2016, 04:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Got the new pioneer Bluetooth head unit today, works great didn't even need a wiring kit, just the fascia adapter and ariel adapter... (will have to whip the top dash cover back off tho to wire the mic up the A pillar trim) You can even get out of the car go in a shop, get back in and it reconnects to where you was in the track on your phone itself, wonderful! I'll grab an under seat sub woofer soon and wire that in and that'll be job finished, oh and the new stereo makes the speakers sounds better so looking forward to the sub too, the head unit even let's you define how much the woofer delivers! I'll take some pics when all done, just waiting on the adapter on order. PEace

Old 21 May 2016, 08:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Which Pioneer did you go with? I was looking at a Pioneer myself because I was wanting HD Radio, bluetooth, and preferably Radio Data Systems (RDS), and a head unit that plays .mp3s off of a flash drive.
Old 22 May 2016, 05:53 am
Regular Cruiser

got the 380BT has no cd just aux and usb on the front and bluetooth(comes with mic too that i will feed behind trim to top of A pillar trim), the older version 370bt had a great write up as like the best you could buy for connectivity and user friendliness and it was not wrong im over the moon... few years ago i bought a sony with NFC for my van because i have xperia and it was horrible! seemed like they had not moved on since decades ago....so i would say if you get one get a pioneer, i was thinking about the 7inch flip out but it was 3x the price and amazon reviewers said functionality was limited so i could see it being frustrating and ageing fast.......(i can still watch youtube on my 5inch phone clipped to dash that will charge from head unit usb too) mine doesnt have dab cos i dont really listen to radio but i think i saw one with it for a bit more... halfords had a sale on, got mine for 72 and ordered the adapter for us ariel fitting and plastic surround trim for another 20. only thing is now i have no flashing alarm armed light that was built in stereo but the old stereo/speakers were past it and my car now sounds and looks fresher.

Old 22 May 2016, 06:04 am
Regular Cruiser

some earlier images that i didnt post of tweeter install..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26316257143_3935779a8d_z.jpg (50.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 26920184365_d76fb59718_z.jpg (91.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 26316247443_f03c122223_z.jpg (51.9 KB, 36 views)

Old 17 Jul 2016, 06:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Final update of the fitted head unit with adapter surround from halfords. cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2070.jpg (94.2 KB, 29 views)