Advertisements
Radio Display not working

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rcktpwrd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2016, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radio Display not working

Now that I've got my PT running smoothly, engine wise, I've started tinkering with some of the non-integral repairs that it needs.

One that I am going to try to tackle in the upcoming week is the Radio Display not working. The radio itself works, can change stations, AM/FM, even the CD player works. I'm not in a position to put something after market in right now so I figured I'd pull the stereo and see if I can track down the problem. It's a 2001 and everything, sound system wise, seems to be stock.

side note: is there an insert you can get for after market radios because the stock one takes up a HUGE amount of room in the centre console vs after market ones. I had this same problem with my Caravan; the space it took up in the dash was easily twice the faceplate footprint as an after market stereo.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 03:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Radio Display not working

I'll answer your last question first, yes, there should be a plate available to mount a single din head unit where your factory one is. Check crutchfield... If you buy a head unit from them, and maybe speakers, you can usually select options for mounting necessities, wiring harnesses for plug-and-play, etc... sometimes it's free as a combo.

Try something... Start the vehicle. Makes sure the radio is playing. Turn your headlights off and on to see if the display does anything. Also, try pushing your key in to make sure it's in the whole way. Move it around a little. When my ignition switch went bad, the first thing that happened was the radio display disappeared unless I physically held the key pushed into the ignition.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 03:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

As far as the radio display not visible, try adjusting the steering wheel up a bit. The wiring in the column tends to be a bit tight causing the problem.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 04:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had an issue where my radio display suddenly stopped working. Ends up my key was not inserted all the way into the cylinder. Once I pushed it all the way in, the radio display reappeared.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 05:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Like Soyomb mentioned its the wiring in the steering column, had same issue with my 002 pt. Look-up intermittent radio display this forum, one member shows how to run ground wire to permenently fix the problem, anyway it worked for me. Also moving the steering wheel to a different position will sometimes work don't belive its a permanent fix anyway hope this helps.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I concur with soy and ALBERT. I have the same problem with mine. I can move the tilt slightly OR just bump the bottom of the steering wheel and it lights back up. Seems that someone posted a fix by adding an additional ground wire, but I don't remember who that was. I've had two brain surgeries and suffer from CRS.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 05:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Now I'm curious what it is...
Old 31 Aug 2016, 09:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Post Re: Radio Display not working

check out this thread:

Blank radio display
Gkon likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com