PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Installing new Radio. Ground to Battery?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rob302
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2016, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Installing new Radio. Ground to Battery?

Heyo,
I just installed a new aftermarket radio and two speakers into my Pt Cruiser 01. I was having some slight power issues like as if the power draw might be much. I had left the black wire of the radio connected the wire harness connection for the radio. My friend told me to run the ground to battery and that will take the load of the radio. My question is should I do that? Where and how?

One thing that might help on info is that the door speakers I ended up not finding the adapters for them and cut/crimped them. I also crimped the wires on the radio harness but not cut the adapter.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 08:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Installing new Radio. Ground to Battery?

In your 2001 1st Gen PT, the stereo is surrounded by a steel substructure for the dash. If me, I'd take a drill and make a small hole in the steel somewhere convenient. Then I'd put a round eyelet terminal on the end of the ground wire and fasten it to the steel substructure using a small sheet metal screw. That should do the job.

Now there is a school of thought that you will get cleaner power if you bring a positive and negative lead all the way from the battery to the stereo head using some kind of fused capacitor. But I believe that's for folks running huge amounts of wattage with high-dollar stereo setups. For normal folks that still have normal hearing and installing a standard stereo system, grounding to that steel substructure should do fine.

It should be noted that I'm not a professional stereo installer. And thank the Lord for that. I have a brother-in-law that does that for a living and he doesn't make enough money to buy his dog anything but Ol' Roy dog food from Walmart. That's one job that just don't seem to pay squat.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Nov 2016 at 08:54 pm.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 08:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The only place a new ground should be run is to the body of the car or you risk creating ground loops.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grou...p_(electricity)

You could check your ground for excessive resistance with a multimeter. Are the speakers overkill or the wrong ohm for the radio? You might consider soldering the power wires. Adding wire to a car should always be a last resort.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
The only place a new ground should be run is to the body of the car or you risk creating ground loops.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grou...p_(electricity)

You could check your ground for excessive resistance with a multimeter. Are the speakers overkill or the wrong ohm for the radio? You might consider soldering the power wires. Adding wire to a car should always be a last resort.
+1

That steel substructure I'm talking about is part of the car body.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:03 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
In your 2001 1st Gen PT, the stereo is surrounded by a steel substructure for the dash. If me, I'd take a drill and make a small hole in the steel somewhere convenient. Then I'd put a round eyelet terminal on the end of the ground wire and fasten it to the steel substructure using a small sheet metal screw. That should do the job.

Now there is a school of thought that you will get cleaner power if you bring a positive and negative lead all the way from the battery to the stereo head using some kind of fused capacitor. But I believe that's for folks running huge amounts of wattage with high-dollar stereo setups. For normal folks that still have normal hearing and installing a standard stereo system, grounding to that steel substructure should do fine.

It should be noted that I'm not a professional stereo installer. And thank the Lord for that. I have a brother-in-law that does that for a living and he doesn't make enough money to buy his dog anything but Ol' Roy dog food from Walmart. That's one job that just don't seem to pay squat.
I added an extra ground wire to the stock stereo sometime ago. On the side of the stock unit, there was an additional lug on the case, so I made up a wire as you described and attached it to the framework behind the stereo with a self-tapping screw. Don't know if it helps with anything, but it couldn't hurt.

Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 29 Nov 2016 at 09:24 pm.

Tags
drain, power, radio, solution, speaker