• 1 Post By turbo1013
  • 1 Post By imickey503

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2020, 05:51 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to imickey503 Send a message via Yahoo to imickey503
Default it's about time I start a thread specifically about my car audio

2001 PT Cruiser car audio thread.

so it's been a really long time since I actually posted any updates about my car stereo system and honestly that's what I love doing the most in my vehicle's is that in the electronics so it's time to make a real update about this and usually I post on Chrysler minivan. Net because that's my favorite place to hang out but this is probably my second favorite place.

it's been a really long time mainly because I've never been able to get my PT Cruiser working as I've liked even from the factory so with all those problems dealing with the car audio has really been a second burner type I never really been motivated enough to really invest anything into it but since I drive it now daily hear some things that I've always wanted to do but I'm actually getting around to doing.

Radio

I have never liked the look of having that little oval - taken up by one of those aftermarket kids but then I realized many of those aftermarket kits well something better than others and after I found this wonderful inexpensive cheap and cheerful option I had to go with this because I purchase the stereo for less than $32 shipped to my door:

Its a great unit for the $32 that I paid for and admittedly it is the low in unit but it does everything that I wanted to do and the sound actually isn't all that bad however you really do need to add a fan or heatsink to the back of it if you're going to use it because it has a very minimum of heat sinking .

Amplifier

Video

if you're familiar with budget gyms on YouTube you probably heard of the Dual amplifier that's been reviewed and in fact Walmart no longer carries it anymore cuz everybody bought it all so guess who has a copy of this amplifier ? AutoZone to the rescue!

the samples tested here:

off the top of my head even listening to it for the very limited time I've been listening to it without it being properly set up which I have not done with my SMB meter this amp is amazing.
worst car I have ever owned from a reliability standpoint.
Canadian spec car imported to the states.
Wish I could just rewire everything and use a Minivans ROCK SOLID electrical system in this car.
Old 30 Nov 2020, 05:52 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: it's about time I start a thread specifically about my car audio

there was a problem posting to the thread so I had to go ahead and make me post underneath it. for some reason any time I click anything on the page it said blocked so I just went ahead and just said post and here I am..

I'll finish this up later since I have to be at work at 6 or 7 a.m. in the morning but anyway I'll keep you guys updated on this field because there's a lot that I've done and I think a lot of you would actually appreciate a detailed build
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Wish I could just rewire everything and use a Minivans ROCK SOLID electrical system in this car.
Old 29 May 2021, 12:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Photos coming soon and diagrams.

Long time no update. But here it is.
You can duplicate it if you want. But its amazing.
It requires no Custom work, and it sounds AMAZING! (Not just loud, but that phantom stereo image.

My bar is pretty high for S.Q. So this is that kind of system.

A little soldering, and some better Caps if you want, but it works even with stock parts. I tested.

Also, CLARITY! And hardly any distortion to very loud just bellow live concert levels.

THe magic sauce on the tweeters you are going to use and how you wire them and how you place them.

The Kicker k45 is what it is listed in the MOPAR catalog. You can find these in junkyards, and they are a GREAT tweeter. Perfect for ROCK music. But they will be the ones facing/ Aimed at you. They will act almost like a supertweeter. (in a sorts) What they do is LOCK in the Front image and give just the RIGHT amount of high frequency extension to just LOCK it all in.

Bellow is a Photo how I wired mine.
(Insert Photo here)

So you take the STOCK tweeter, and wire the Kicker tweeter to the OEM dash one. (The 2001-2003Ish..) had the 25mm tweeter. It sounds open on itself, but the 6db Filter can be problem. This fixes that problem, while still keeping the wonderful open sound it has. You can hear it in the Snare drum, and how it just scoops up EVERY last detail of the music you are listening too.

You wire up the Kicker tweeter AFTER the Capacitor leg to the OEM stock tweeter. This will pass the tweeter at a higher Frequency and cut off .
and the Kicker runs at a higher x/o as well. IT is PERFECT!

Now for the door speakers. If yours are STILL in GOOD condition? you can still use them. But they are not the last in detail or definition. They work okay, but they just lack the definition that you really need.

(If the Kicker 6.75 woofers WORK? Then go with them. Mine did not work...)

My choice for a speaker that's easy to get, cheap, and just fits PERFECTLY!
Alpine Type S. I have the older model. The newer one is even better.
It has a Coil and LARGE Poly cap on there. Alpine made a 6.75 drop in for mopars, so go with that if you can find it. Its worth it! (THe one I have)

Yes, it is a 2 way, but the thing is, you will never hear the tweeter where it is. Its firing to our ankle. Leave them just as is.
Make sure to Deaden the doors. You can use peel and squeel, but just get the good stuff if you can. Clean the doors metal and paint, and then heat UP the doors and the Peel and squeel, and Don't be shy with it. One roll per door.

XTC baffles work great. Cut slit on the bottom. Throw in some Fiberglass. Cover it in Fluid film on the back if you don't want it to ever rust.

Dielectric grease the connectors. (USE THE OEM to Aftermarket connectors. the Few bucks is worth it!)

After you deaden both doors sheet metal, do the same to the door panel.
Get some Tessa tape and tape the Plastic push pins on the base. THat will keep them quiet. Or use Putty, your choice.

Now, connect your tweeters to the dash. I recommend using a dash matt. It really does make a difference. It just CLEANS up the image.

Now go to the rear pillar speakers. DISCONNECT THEM! There is no need for them. You will agree once you do this. IF you DO choose to run them? Don't bother upgrading them. Leave them there, and set them to the point you can BARELY HEAR THEM. You really don't need them at all.

Now, get yourself some Subwoofers. What Kind? The CHEAP $20 kind.
Why? These work sealed really well. You can use DUAL's, or Pioneers etc. Just get a sealed box for them. Use 2 of them. You also want to use them in STEREO NOT MONO.

Get any AMP. I recommend the DUAL above. IT really is a GREAT amp for the price.

Your deck is up to you. I recommend a Pioneer. But we are keeping this simple. Any deck should do. Heck I got mine for $~32 shipped. Not much is needed as far as E.Q. to get this to sound good. Hence, why this setup.

On the amp, you are going to need a 4 channel for best results, or 2 amps. Up to you.

Now set your xover at about 250 hz @ 6dB for the fronts.
THe subs? Just turn the amp to its lowest point. The Cabin gain will take care of the rest. (it still can be a BIT chesty, so use the E.Q. on your phone to drop the 250 hz band, as it makes it CHESTY or Honky sounding and ruins the image and the sound. It really does not effect the sound. You lose a BIT without a DSP, but not much. THat's the MAGIC of this setup. Anyone can do it, and no real special parts. It just works!

About 50-80 watts per channel RMS is all you need.
The rest if up to you.

Quick outside demo. (sorry I forgot how strong the bass was)

images uploaded later.....
Old 29 May 2021, 06:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

what did the cheap flat screen head unit look like installed?
Old 03 Jun 2021, 07:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1013 View Post
what did the cheap flat screen head unit look like installed?
I will take some photos tonight. I have some videos of it on my channel I think installed.

Simular to this:
Joying Best Android head units professional blog: Which JOYING Android car stereo can be installed in Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler car? Big screen is also available

Its like it was MADE to be there. Mine is also the Single Din, so it just slides right in the adaptor for 1 DIN. The USB Port on mine is on left side so unless you use the Micro USB thumb drives, the ones that stick out would be a Hindrance. I used a 90' angle USB extension cable if I want to hook up my phone. That way my knee does not ever hit it.

Usability is better then expected. All the heater controls are there and does not block them. Same with the 12v power plug.

my model is this one. So it looks like it is made to be there with the sides curving in to match the Dash profile.

This is the same model
(almost, all of them are a BIT different)

It was easy to install, and take out as well. A friction fit for me.

I will upload a video or photos tonight. Whatever is easy.
Old 07 Jun 2021, 05:31 am
Young Cruiser

when I get around to it I'll upload the rest of the pictures up on the Forum.
Old 07 Jun 2021, 10:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

looks preety good
now bass up like this

imickey503 likes this.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 09:00 am
Young Cruiser

I did back in the day. :-)

I was chasing the Hair Trick Pony. Then one day? I lost my hair. Wuts the Point?

I got my Minivan for SPL builds. I use to have 2 15" in 15 cube box. Then went to one 15" MOFO 2 ohm. I really like having a Rear View mirror, so..

What I got done today.

1. Installed another Deep Cycle AGM. (Now 2 Apx 66 Amp hours total)
2. Multiple Grounds.
3. Installed 2 Capacitors. One directly to the AMP. One in back.
4. Labeled wires (L/R/ Subs etc)
5. Calibrated crossover points.
6. Bunch of Misc stuff. Cable Management etc.

====================
After Test drive.....
One of my tweeters were buzzing. Hard to hear, but playing Piano music with Vocals brought out the fact that one of the tweeters was not a Happy Camper.

One of the Kicker tweeters is No more. It took me a while but I found out that the Capacitor went to Heaven. Measured it and it had 6.8 ohms of resistance !!!!!!!

So it looks like the tweeter was playing close to full range. And it KILLED the Kicker titanium dome tweeter. (Funny, it feels like Mylar to me.
So I took it apart, and it had the same Dome / Surround separation of the Kicker 6.5's. Darn.

I had a Nice Advent Tweeter from a system I had laying around, so I used that to put inside of the Kicker tweeter plate housing. Took some time, Some mods. But I EVEN go the Kicker Grill on the tweeter. So I got Lucky. Tested, Voice matched sounds great.

I also took care of an issue of a Bad connection on the Piezo super Tweeter.

So I rebuilt the whole tweeter harness.

I had to make some Custom Crossovers slopes for the new setup.

So I have 3 speakers in the dash. a ~2" dome midrange, the Kickers doing tweeter duty, and the Piezo taking care of the 16-20 Khz Band. (Yes I can still hear way up there)

The video was made yesterday.. Its today. Still up. Just finished testing.

SYSTEM SOUNDS AMAZINGBALLZ!

Also, the best part is that Voltage even when the car has been on for about 30 min and playing music, still rock solid at 12.7 volts. Wonderful!

The Lithium Pack / Battery is going to be built maybe this next week. Awaiting on a BMS/ Balance board to come in the Mail.

The pack is going to be a 4s, Not worried about overcharging of the custom pack as the car will never go above 13.8 volts with Cold Peaks of 14.5. Not a Problem. So the pack will last an awful long time as they will never be FULLY charged or ever Fully drained. (Low Voltage shut off Circuit needs to be designed so it does not Freak out at 10.4 Battery start. That's at the OBDII reader. So voltage at the PACKs will never be bellow 12.5 Volts.

The Packs do 300 Amps peaks per cell. I will never use that much. Also, I should have about 3000 Amps of Surge Current total.

I have to run a Dedicated Ground wire to the back. Going to run that under the car. Just going to use Soid Core Home Depot 4AWG for that run under the car as its cheap and will work perfect for routing under the car. The positive 0 AWG is already ran inside the cabin. I also have a spare 8AWG for misc stuff ran as well.

I got TORQUE Doing the Voltage Monitoring.
So got the Gauges set up for that. The Alternator needs a NEW belt.

====================

So After listeing to the Joe Black Soundtrack, I can say...
HOLY CRAP I AM A HAPPY MAN!

NO MORE DISTORTION!
NO MORE Driver noise.
ITS @%@#$@#%@#% PERFECT!!!!!!!!!
PERFECT!!!!!! I tell you PERFECT!

Listening to
That Next Place by Thomas Newman...

I have TEARS in my eyes its so good. The fortismo's the Stacata's. the DYNAMICS!

The strings sound like I am RIGHT there.

Later guys..
I have found heaven.
Old 14 Jun 2021, 03:42 am
Young Cruiser

the last few days, I have realized that I need to install a cooling fan and I mean quick on top of the amplifier as I did in my old previous AURA amp.

I have a plan to go to the junkyard tomorrow to pick up some of the items I need that I found out were missing after today's wonderful Fiasco or the alternator belt basically falling off while I was driving.

after I get the work done that I need to do the alternator voltage should be pretty flat and study after I get what parts I need to fix the tensioner on the alternator.

I need to get some shut-eye talk to you guys later
Old 14 Jun 2021, 07:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Today, I am too tired to do anything.
On the Bright side? The Sun came out today.
Why could my Belt not break today?

Anyways. I'll get the Alternator bolt adjuster maybe tomorrow. If it dries out really well at the Yard.

Tonight I plan on Adding some Extra grounding points. And then seeing if there is anyway to get what little Hum I have from the Alternator gone.

I should have some photos uploaded tonight. If not You get videos.
rcktpwrd likes this.