Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio System

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2003, 01:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio System

I just installed the Kenwood KCA-R70FM RF modulator/Display unit with the KTC-SR901 tuner in my '03 GT, and it worked out great.

The RF modulator fits great behind the panel to the right of the Glove Box. The Tuner goes under the driver's seat. The display unit fit in the cubby hole at the bottom of the console - with a little shaping of the edges of the mounting panel provided to use for in-dash applications. The RF modulator works very well, and the quality of the sound is much better than FM signals played through the same head unit.

The Tuner has pass through for a CD Changer to connect also, and the display can control Changer, Sirius and the Keg mobile hard drive for MP3 collections, up to 20 gigs.

As soon as the aftermarket comes up with a control cable that will go from the 10 pin buss on the rear of the stock radio/CD to the 13 pin DIN that the Kenwood Tuner uses, I will do away with the RF modulated display and go straight to the factory deck.

Kenwood had a promotion that gave a free tuner with the purchase of a head unit or the RF Modulated Display unit for $69.95. Add the $50.00 Terk antenna and it would be $120.00 It expired on April 5th, but some dealers may be honoring it still. Crutchfield agreed to honor it when I called yesterday.

I bought mine at the local Circuit City, and though they didn't still honor the expired promotion, they made a price of $150.00 for the Display unit, Tuner and a Terk "hockey Puck" antenna.

The control cable from the Display to the tuner and the Antenna lead in are around 14' long each, and the Display cable is around 6', giving plenty of cable length to easily conceal the wiring.

2003 Onyx Green PT-GT
Stock (so far...)
Old 11 Apr 2003, 02:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have located a cable to connect the 2002 and 2003 factory radios to the Kenwood Sirius Tuner. The number is VT-CHYSIRKEN-02. I verified this through the manufacturer; Metra. They would not provide a price; only sell to dealers. However they said the local Circuit City or any other retailer with installation services should be able to get it for you. Their Website is www.metraonline.com. It has their contact info, but again, they only sell to dealers. Also, a Soundgate KNCR2VV4(SI) will work for '02 and '03 models that have the changer controls built in to the radio.

I am waiting on Circuit City to call me back with a price. Metra has them available in stock to ship.

I called Chrysler Customer Service today to try to get a copy of the instructions outlining how to use a factory radio with their Sirius tuner, but they wouldn't give up any info.

If anyone who has a Dream Cruiser Series II with the Sirius unit could scan the section of their manual that has the info on "waking up" the Sirius tuner when installed and how the mode is switched, etc... I would sure appreciate a copy. I have heard that holding the "mode" and "time" buttons on the stock radio will initialize the setup and make the radio aware that the Sirius unit is connected.

The Chrysler option is $175.00 for the tuner, and an additional $125.00 for the install kit which has the mount, cable that goes to the in stock radio, antenna and hardware. If you already have the Mopar changer, the install kit isn't needed, according to the Chrysler info. This doesn't make sense, as the install kit contains the antennna. I am still trying to understand how this setup works (the Mopar option). From what I can gather from Chrysler Customer Service and the info on the Mopar accy page, the changer (Mopar) must have 2 cable connections to allow the tuner to "daisy chain" through it to allow the head unit to control both. This may explain why the install kit is required if you don't have the changer already installed. Apparently the control cable that goes from the dash to the location where the Sat tuner or changer is mounted comes in the install kit, and the tuner must come with a short cable to connect the 2 options together.

The Kenwood Tuner has the same setup, allowing the tuner, changer or Keq hard drive unit to be controlled from the display or head unit. Hopefully, the the aftermarket cable to connect the Stock radio to the Kenwood tuner will allow a changer to be added in line and all will work together. I will post my findings, and correct or verify my speculations.

2003 Onyx Green PT-GT
Stock (so far...)

Edited by - Dalite on 04/12/2003 17:53:07
Old 12 Apr 2003, 09:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Original antenna connection in panel to the right of Glove box

RF Modulator location to right of Glove box

Display install. I am trying to get another face plate to make a custom fit, recessed into the cubby hole at the bottom of the center console.

Display closeup. I am planning to try to round the lower edge of another panel and see if I can get a recessed fit that looks a little better...

Anyone out there do custom plexiglass work? I think a panel that fits into the console pocket with a bend at right angle to allow the bottom of the pocket to support it would be a good item for those who want to make use of this space for switches, 2-way radio speaker, equalizer, etc....

2003 Onyx Green PT-GT
Kenwood Sirius Tuner and Remote Display
Garmin Street Pilot III Color GPS

Edited by - Dalite on 04/12/2003 17:47:38
Old 20 Jun 2004, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the same system that I want to install, how do you get to the area on the side of the glove compartment. And also where did you make the power connections.

Thanks
Carl
Old 01 Jul 2004, 12:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:I am still trying to understand how this setup works (the Mopar option). From what I can gather from Chrysler Customer Service and the info on the Mopar accy page, the changer (Mopar) must have 2 cable connections to allow the tuner to "daisy chain" through it to allow the head unit to control both. This may explain why the install kit is required if you don't have the changer already installed. Apparently the control cable that goes from the dash to the location where the Sat tuner or changer is mounted comes in the install kit, and the tuner must come with a short cable to connect the 2 options together.
When you install the Mopar Sirius unit, there are three installation kits: The antenna kit, which you always need, and then one of either two wiring kits. One kit is for cars that also have a CD changer, and the other is for cars w/o a CD changer.

If no CD changer, you just get a simple cable with a 12-pin connetor on one end for the Mopar Sirius receiver, and a 10-pin connector on the other, for the AUX jack on the head unit.

If you have a CD-changer, you need a kit that includes a multiplexor and two cables: Mux to CD changer, and mux to Sirius receiver. You use the wire harness that comes with the Mopar CD Changer to connect the head unit to the mux. The head unit in 2002 and up Mopar cars controls the mux, which then either switches in/out the Sirius or the CD changer.

A problem I have encountered is that for a factory installed Sirius receiver without a CD changer in 2003/2004 PTs, MOPAR used a defective wiring harness to wire the head unit to the Sirius receiver. The factory harness doesn't allow the Artist/Title information to show on the head unit - a major feature of Sirius. The harness is just plain missing the wire needed to do this. However, If you order the installation kit, the wire harness that comes in that kit has the correct wire to make this work.

It's not an issue if you also have a CD changer - the multiplexor install kit has the correct wiring, either from the factory or bought later from the dealer.