PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt Replacement

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Oct 2012, 10:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Replacement

Take the bolt out on the top cover and pull back. Doubt you can see much far as condition. If it sat for long period I would. If it was run regular although short runs then no. Like tires if you run them, even though they are old they don't crack. Leave them sit and they drirot. JMHO

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Oct 2012, 10:41 am
Cool Cruiser

I had to replace mine this year - car had just hit 90K miles. Died in an intersection.

Last edited by mikelikestobike; 03 Oct 2012 at 10:53 am.
Old 03 Oct 2012, 01:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When mine went this summer I was driving 70 on the highway, it didn't do any damage to the motor thank God. 108,000 miles was when mine went and the belt wasn't fun to put on..but i did it myself in a couple of days...also replaced the water pump while it was apart. Some good writeup here for help. Bought all the parts from Rock Auto on line, that's where I found the best deal and the also have some coupon code to make it a little cheaper. I just put in Rock Auto coupon codes on search and some came up...

Last edited by twress; 03 Oct 2012 at 01:46 pm.
Old 08 Oct 2012, 07:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have time this coming weekend to take a look at her car and see the condition of the belt. I'll probably replace the water pump and tensioners while I have it all apart as well.
Old 08 Oct 2012, 04:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
I cracked the same connector.

Maybe we can use that to determine if a belt has been changed.
Hey that's interesting, we got ours with 119'000 miles on it and the sellers said the belt was done but they had no paper work. They were good people so we said yes'

While I was looking under the hood...I noticed that the connector for the PCM was cracked! Guess the work it was done!
Old 09 Oct 2012, 03:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

I cracked the same connector.

Maybe we can use that to determine if a belt has been changed.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 12:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

What does the connection to the PCM have to do with the timing belt change?
Anyone have a picture of it?

Old 28 Oct 2012, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Looks like the connector gets cracked when the engine is jacked to get to the repair area.

So an old thread but still usefull as my son's PT just shut down on the freeway and a peak inside the cover shows a crumpled belt.

Question is can I (probably) do I want to (not really) and will it run if I do when I am done with the repair. This job looks like a real bear with the space limitations.

Big question is what are the chances there is any engine (valve damage) and how can I know before getting into it?
Old 28 Oct 2012, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneslimo View Post
Looks like the connector gets cracked when the engine is jacked to get to the repair area.

So an old thread but still usefull as my son's PT just shut down on the freeway and a peak inside the cover shows a crumpled belt.

Question is can I (probably) do I want to (not really) and will it run if I do when I am done with the repair. This job looks like a real bear with the space limitations.

Big question is what are the chances there is any engine (valve damage) and how can I know before getting into it?
If he was just cruising with traffic chances are highly favorable that Nothing to be concerned about.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Oct 2012, 04:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneslimo View Post

Well what I did on our Woo... (DOHC) .We got estimates on it $800 if no damage but..they were saying they could not tell if there was any engine/head damage till they put a belt on and tried to start it!

I thought that's BS and I can do that myself! What I did was go ahead and pull the belt off put a wrench on the bolt on the nose of the intake and the exhaust cam to see if they would turn. My "assumption " was that if the cams turned the valves were fine? Well neither turned, pulled head found 16 bent valves!

Reinstalled head, T belt,water pump, rollers, etc... the next time, 19 miles later, when the belt snapped again did the same test (wrench on nose of cam) I found 8 bent valves! Exhaust side only.

I made a mistake with the tensioner, did not counter the torque when I sit it to 18 ft pounds. I did rotate the engine to check the arrow was where it should be...it wasn't! But I "assumed " it was correct! Yeah uhh no!

Got it right the second time! Yeah the shop would have been cheaper! But it was the principle of the thing!

PT seems to have an automatic tensioner so your not likely to have the same issue.

Last edited by Chip18sw; 28 Oct 2012 at 04:47 pm.