Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ZEX Spark Plugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2003, 04:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Default ZEX Spark Plugs

Question. I'm in the process of installing a ZEX nitrous wet system in my 2001 Cruiser. When installing the new ZEX spark plugs the mechanic helping me with the install said the plugs were 1/2 inch too short and suggested we not install them. So I've buttoned up the engine and then I contacted PTCruiserParts.Com where I purchased the plugs and they said they had sold quite a few of the plug sets to PT Cruiser owners without any problems. I then contacted the ZEX help line and was told that they don't specifically make a plug for a Cruiser but if the thread length is the same size but the strap length is 1/2 inch too short they should be OK to use. What I need to know is have any of you installed the ZEX plugs on your Cruisers in conjunction with a NOS kit? And if so, did they work correctly? The part number I have for the ZEX plugs is 82003-4. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 05:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

What you're describing is what I have found with every aftermarket plug except the champions. The reach (Thread length) for a cruiser plug is 15/16 to 1 inch. (My plugs are for the GT turbo). This is the 1st cruiser that I have owned so come to think about it the information in this post may not apply to the NA engine in the 2001.
Anyway if the reach is too short the plug cannot be used, because the electrode will not be placed properly in the combustion chamber to ignite the fuel properly. Thats my 2 cents.
[:I]
Alan
Old 08 Aug 2003, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just installed IK16 Denso iridium plugs in mine, I had bought them from sparkplugs.com when I found the same problem, the plug boot isnt long enough, (the IK16 are shorter on top and dont reach to mate with the plug wire) I called them and they gave me a set of wires (8mm Hi-temp wire set they said was a prototype, They said they will have them up on their site as soon as they get photos up and pricing figured, (likey $34 for the regular 8mm, $45 for the 1200 deg wires, but they wouldn't commit to exact price)
Anyway the iridiums made a big difference in HP(I think) and the mileage(so the wife says).

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gear_Head

What you're describing is what I have found with every aftermarket plug except the champions. The reach (Thread length) for a cruiser plug is 15/16 to 1 inch. (My plugs are for the GT turbo). This is the 1st cruiser that I have owned so come to think about it the information in this post may not apply to the NA engine in the 2001.
Anyway if the reach is too short the plug cannot be used, because the electrode will not be placed properly in the combustion chamber to ignite the fuel properly. Thats my 2 cents.
[:I]
Alan
Old 09 Aug 2003, 10:58 am
Regular Cruiser

Whipped - how did you get the Iridium's in? The recessed area in the head around the hex body won't allow a regular deep well socket to fit. Did you use a thin wall socket or what?

See this link:
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=3244
Greddy Turbo Timer
AGP factory surge valve blockoff plate
AGP/TurboXS Type H-RFL BOV
160 degree thermostat
Magnacore plug wires
Champion RE14PLP5 Double Platinum plugs gapped .050\"
Screamin Demon coil
Momo shift knob
3 gauge pillar pod with Autometer Lunar boost, EGT and oil pressure gauges
Stewart Warner Shift Light
Streamline Designs third brake light overlay \"Turbo Cruzer\"
Rear splash guards
Rear spoiler
Hidden Hitch
Ichiban pedals
Streetglow Xenon headlight and foglight bulbs
PCV line oil seperator
Firestone Firehawk SZ50 215/50R17 tires
PT Tuning axle back exhaust and muffler
Mr. Dyno vehicle performance computer
Pioneer DEH-P77DH AM/FM/CD
Kenwood KSC-WA62RC — The WooX 30w x 2 powered subwoofer
Old 22 Aug 2003, 01:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks to everyone for their help. When all was said and done the ZEX spark plugs fit perfectly. Also of note is the ZEX wet nitrous system I just installed. All I can say is awsome. I have a 2001 automatic which I've added a Jet Performance Module, JBA Headers, a Magnaflow cat-back system, Helix Power Tower and a cold air induction system. With all of these mods I could hold the brake on and then floor it. When I left the line I would get a small "chirp" from the front drive tire. Now when I do the same thing the tires start smoking. I truly now have some decent torque and when I floor it I'm pushed back in the seat. I don't have hard numbers yet but when I do I will post them. The NOS system has by far been my best engine power enhancement to date.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 01:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I was under the impression that we were talking about plugs for the 2.4L turbo. My Bad (Sorry)[:I]
Alan
Old 24 May 2004, 03:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Jerry, how did you get the ZEX plugs to fit? I just bought the same ones and they are too short. I don't know what to do to make them fit. I bought the 8.5mm magnacore wires. But the plugs don't fit with the stock or magnacore wires. Help?
02\' Patriot Blue Cruiser, dual cat back exhaust, blue under car lights, airaid cold air intake, throttle body spacer and custom sound system.*Xenon front bumper (crusher), polished aluminum gas door.
Old 26 May 2004, 08:57 pm
Young Cruiser

milPT,

I had my local hot rod garage install the plugs and they didn't seem to have a problem. I also just installed the Magnacor wires myself and they fit fine with the ZEX plugs. So I guess I'm at a loss. The name of the shop I use is Mathewsons in Renton, Washington. You might give them a call and I'm sure they would be glad to answer your questions. Just ask for Josh or Larry. their number is 425-226-2965.
Old 27 May 2004, 04:24 pm
Young Cruiser

I called the ZEX people and they told me that they don't make spark plugs for the PT Cruiser. I am working with Revel Enterprises to figure out why they are selling them for cruisers and what they are going to do about my money. The plugs screw in just fine, but they are too short on both ends. The plug will not 'snap' into the wire and the fireing side does't go all the way in to the cylinder. I had them verify the part number to make sure they were the supposed correct ones, but they don't fit. I will post another reply when I find out whats up.
02\' Patriot Blue Cruiser, dual cat back exhaust, blue under car lights, airaid cold air intake, throttle body spacer and custom sound system.*Xenon front bumper (crusher), polished aluminum gas door.
Old 27 May 2004, 07:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you look at the ZEX catalog (see below), they only list one plug number for all the listed applications (only difference is the last number which indicates the number of SP in the package). IMHO, ZEX plugs can't possibly fit correctly into the PT. The thread length/reach, spark plug height, hex position, etc. for the PT is way different.