Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stalling driving, Starting problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2008, 09:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Stalling driving, Starting problem

I would have searched, however busy with work and other things right now.

Got this message from our local car club president.

"Good Morning! I have a co-worker whose mother has an 2006 PT Cruiser. He was telling me when she is driving it, it just shuts off. After pulling over to the side of the road it comes back on without her starting the engine herself. She has taken it to the dealership and they put it on the diagnostic machine and is always told there is nothing wrong. Have you heard of this happening to any PT? "

I know I have seen and heard about this before, but can someone help me out with an exact answer.

Thanks
Old 02 Oct 2008, 01:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt
Default Re: Stalling driving, Starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKole02 View Post
I would have searched, however busy with work and other things right now.

Got this message from our local car club president.

"Good Morning! I have a co-worker whose mother has an 2006 PT Cruiser. He was telling me when she is driving it, it just shuts off. After pulling over to the side of the road it comes back on without her starting the engine herself. She has taken it to the dealership and they put it on the diagnostic machine and is always told there is nothing wrong. Have you heard of this happening to any PT? "

I know I have seen and heard about this before, but can someone help me out with an exact answer.

Thanks

Huh??? It comes back on without her starting the engine???? Never heard of this at all! Just a thought, yall think the ignition switch is shot??? Or would this cause the PT to turn back on automatically???

Weird.

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 02 Oct 2008, 01:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

I took thought it was wierd, but, she wrote it, so I assume she is speaking correctly.

I assumed a faulty wire at first myself. Of course the dealer could not figure it out.
Old 02 Oct 2008, 01:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKole02 View Post
I took thought it was wierd, but, she wrote it, so I assume she is speaking correctly.

I assumed a faulty wire at first myself. Of course the dealer could not figure it out.
I'm texting my service manager at my dealership...he just replied and said "no" he's never heard of this. He also texted me back and said the following: "Would have 2 c it 2 believe that...Engine stalls...no spark...no fuel..., etc. It can't crank itself without ignition input..Turnin' key or remote. By remote...? Different systems".

Does she have an after market alarm system that allows her to start it remotely? Maybe she pressed that button by mistake?

King, if you find out, let us know...

Last edited by Teekypt; 02 Oct 2008 at 02:07 pm.
Old 02 Oct 2008, 02:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

was the car named KIT by any chance????
Old 02 Oct 2008, 03:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusierdad76 View Post
was the car named KIT by any chance????
Ha Ha!! Very funny, silly!

Old 02 Oct 2008, 03:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

I always said Knight Rider should have used a "sleeper" car so that no one knew.

I am going to have to see if this car can be seen at our next meeting.

The only thing I can think of is an ignition switch trip wire malfunction. Where when she turns the key it starts, but during driving, vibrations cause the car to stall, once stopped, vibrations stopped ignition signal is tripped again by the wires coming into contact and starting again without the use of the key.

All the key really does it tell point A to connect to point B and supply power/signal to start. If you cut the ignition wires and connect them manually, this same thing will likely start the car. Connection A makes contact with connection B.
Old 02 Oct 2008, 03:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

while that is all true that "A" has to meet "B" it is not exact ally as simple as that it has to meet have a good connection and keep that connection till the car starts I think you are asking a lot from blind luck It may be possible but man the chances are probaly higher than winning the lottery
I always thought KIT should have been something different you know like a Vett or a Lamborghini but I didn't like it as a mustang at all
Old 03 Oct 2008, 11:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusierdad76 View Post
I always thought KIT should have been something different you know like a Vett or a Lamborghini but I didn't like it as a mustang at all
Well, the original Kit was Pontiac Firebird, not a Mustang, as they have now....this is why I refuse to watch this new show! I doubt it'll stay on for another 3 weeks!

Old 03 Oct 2008, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

shutting off and then restarting ?? that is super strange is she sure the car is off ?? or is it idleing very low and causing like no power steering or brakes ?? just a thought