Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Walmart Service Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2008, 09:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Walmart Service Center MUST READ!! BAD NEWS!!

Hey all,
How do you make this a sticky for all to read?

I left a light on and had a dead battery in the AM one mourning.

So after I jumped I went to Walmart to get new battery, here is my story.

They changed the battery, while breaking parts of my customized intake, see pics below.

This first pic shown is of the customized piece.
We call the Tornado mod. It has been installed on 3+ PT's that I know of including mine. I myself have over 70K miles on the piece and it has NEVER failed EVER. This is what it used to look like from an older photo I have on file.

The second picture is of the intake cone piece after WALMART changed my battery. (See below) show how the tech smashed down the box to the lower section of the airbox breaking this piece. This pressure must have been a lot of force to have done this. I have cleaned my K&N filter countless times and I have never had this happen to me.
In this picture you will notice that (3) metal fins are missing and two plastic cone areas. I have since found (1) metal fin in the lower intake air box after removing the filter, however are still missing (2) of them.

Here is my concern, I now have the assumption as of 12-18-08 that (1) of the (3) metal fins, is somewhere located in my intake plenum lower section. I have not had the ability to take this engine apart completely on the lower end to resolve my thinking. If this metal piece were to come into the cylinders, I would obviously have a blown engine, bent pistons and cylinders for sure.

My concern to you all is that you never take your car to a mechanic without checking everything you do first.
Secondly if you live in the Fort Myers/Cape Coral Florida area, DO NOT USE Cape Coral's Del Prado Walmart Car Service Center (1619 Del Prado Blvd. S Cape Coral, Fl 33990)
Old 19 Dec 2008, 10:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Walmart Service Center

Colby,

Sorry that it happened to you, but I don't think it fits into the category to make it a sticky. Most of us know that anyplace like Wal-Mart that hires a work force right off the street isn't going to get the cream of the crop. There's loads of horror stories of "so called techs" over tightening bolts all over the engine and especially the oil pan. Forgetting to put vacuum hoses on and other things that will show up later while your driving.

It's hard to see how they broke your custom pipe unless they maybe grabbed it from the outside and twisted and turned it to get the rubber hose off not knowing how the system was put together. They might have picked up the broken pieces themselves and threw them away so it might not be anywhere near the inside of the engine.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 11:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin,
Ok, no sticky, however I will be posting this information to our local newspaper board. I have taken my car(s) to Walmart 5 times, tire flat fix, oil changes on older car and battery issues with the PT. The only time I did not have any damage to my vehicle was when I went in for the flat repair, or car, and battery replacement, walk-in and replace in parking lot.

However I do know that some of the parts, had the potential to go into the intake, when I check it out later the broken plastic was hanging there, ready to be ingested by my motor's intake.

My only conclusion is that the Tec did not set the upper box correctly to the lower box and pressed down on it breaking my cone. The standard cone which most of you all have, is very hard to break under typical dismantle.
I came to this conclusion based on observation of the following: Air sensor was not replaced correctly into the intake plenum, intake plenum was not tightened to the throttle body, (1) metal piece was located under my filter in the airbox (showing evidence that the tec removed that filter prior to destruction).
Old 19 Dec 2008, 01:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

That's horrible KingKole. Have you shown their dept. these pics???

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 19 Dec 2008, 02:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Under discretion of my attorney, I was told not to confront the store yet until we have all the paper work and time frame covered, then determination of problem if any with the engine so far.

So in other words, no.

I talked with a certified mechanic and he told me that I needed to dismantle the PT motor ASAP to determine if anything got into the engine and if it had, I would have already known about it. I drove it already leaving the dealer and for a few days before I noticed the problem. My records show that only Walmart has touched the engine area in about 2 months, from my last oil change at a more trusted facility.

If the metal fin would have fallen it would be blown already, so now it looks like a small claims court matter, which is not really worth it to me so much as to telling others about my experience.
Old 21 Dec 2008, 08:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have so many questions on this situation, but will settle for an answer to just this one.

With your past experience at this facility, "I have taken my car(s) to Walmart 5 times, tire flat fix, oil changes on older car and battery issues with the PT. The only time I did not have any damage to my vehicle was when I went in for the flat repair, or car, and battery replacement, walk-in and replace in parking lot., why did you use this facility for a sixth time and not your trusted facility.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 09:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

did you make them aware of your custom air box setup prior to having them install the battery? and second why in the hell would you ever go to wal-mart to have them install a battery?
Old 22 Dec 2008, 06:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

The fins appear to be large enough not to get past the valves, but if an end is caught by the valve it could bend it! Take the upper manifold off and use a flash light to see if there are any fins by the valves, and remove them.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 11:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

What is the "toronado mod"?

Do you have a link to a web page or a good data sheet.

I am just trying to surmized what it does and why would some one want it?