Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Broken timing belt/broken valves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2011, 07:31 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Broken timing belt/broken valves

I agree with Uptown,the cam timing is probably off and if that's the case then you shouldnt have to pay for the mechanic to take it apart and do it right.That's just my opinion of course.
Old 24 Dec 2011, 09:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Hope you get it worked out and running well again. Sounds like the mechanics timing is off too.
SCPT..nice photo and nice lens filter to give the stars.
Old 24 Dec 2011, 09:18 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttomes View Post
Hope you get it worked out and running well again. Sounds like the mechanics timing is off too.
SCPT..nice photo and nice lens filter to give the stars.
Thanks,funny thing is that was taken without a lens filter.I had just buffed the car and set the camera to auto and that's how it came out.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The only codes it is showing are:
108-Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor circuit high voltage (Manifold pressure sensor input above maximum acceptable voltage).
123-Throttle position sensor circuit high voltage (throttle position sensor input above the maximum acceptable voltage (shorted high).

(Mu husband went down there to check this, we didn't really want to ask the mechanic since we kind of don't trust him much at this point)
Old 26 Dec 2011, 08:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Now he's saying the valves are broken/bent and the car won't start. So now we have to pay for labor to take it apart again to fix that.
Nice to meet you folks. I'm one of the few actual rare cases where a timing belt break led to bent valves. I couldn't tell you the conditions in which it happens, only that we had to replace valves on cylinder 1 and 2. I caused such a ruckus, I went down to the mech myself with my own compression tester and verified no compression on cylinder 1 and very low on 2. Only after that did I authorize that the mech take the heads off - It wasn't bad, but if you rolled the valves on a table you could see they were bent. No way the guy I used pulled the head just to mess with me.

That being said I know that 99% of the time you don't need to pull the head, but some circumstances do lead to bent valves.

The quick and easy test:

A compression test.

That should have been done as soon as the car was in the shop to see if the heads needed pulled.

Those 2 codes can indicate those 2 sensors are unplugged.
Old 30 Dec 2011, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply.

It turns out the valves were not bent/damaged, they were burned, so the mechanic sent them to the machinist to have the carbon deposits removed/valves resurfaced.

Apparently, this was caused by the mechanic that did the tune up several months ago (a different place) that replaced the spark plugs that were in the car (which my husband was annoyed about, since he had put in new spark plugs about 3000 miles previously) with spark plugs that were the WRONG SIZE (even though the required size is actually on the label by the hood release). He put in 16 instead of 14, and the spark plugs my husband put in were waranteed for 100,000 miles these were only waranteed for 15,000 miles. He should have at least replaced them with the same quality.

Even though, the valve issue is not related to the broken timing belt, since there does seem to be a possibility that they could have been damaged I still feel the mechanic should have checked for that before putting it back togethr. (yes, he should have done a compression test at the begining, as that's how he diagnosed "valve damage" AFTER he put everything back together).
Old 30 Dec 2011, 05:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There's been reports of burnt valves on the '01 & up (PT) head, with multiple pictures.

If a valve is 'burnt', it cannot be reused under any circumstances, including machining, so would have replaced them.

I don't know what replacing plugs would have done- Unless they put in wrong heatrange- 14 vs 16.

It's also common to put in the old Neon / Stratus plugs, but they wouldn't harm the engine, just perform poorly.

The only thing I don't fault him for is replacing the belt and THEN finding an engine fault.
Uptown's guilty of this on his own PT.
Old 13 Mar 2012, 01:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello

I have 2006 PT Crusier, the miles 110,000. Having timing belt install today.

What is the process and how long will it take and what price to expect.

Douglasville, Ga