PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is There A How To Sticky For This?

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 21 Mar 2012, 01:00 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 104
Default Is There A How To Sticky For This?

Is there a sticky on how to replace the a/c fan for a 2006 base PT? I've looked at the stickies and there are a couple different ones for fans, but I don't know if they are for the right fan? Is the fan that works the a/c different from the radiator fan that keeps the car from overheating? Or is there only one fan?

I had another post about this, but it's buried now, lol. I took the PT to the dealer because of the stumble at idle with A/C on and I thought it was probably the same thing that's happened 2x before.

2008: dealer described it as "fan is not operational at low speed. Nec to replace fan module". No part number for what they replaced.

2010: different dealer, described it as "Needs new fan module as per diagnosis". Part #5179470AA FAN RADIA 7002002

2012: different dealer from 1st two, described as "Coolant Temp Fan Assembly only running intermittently. Recommend replacing Coolant Temp Fan Assembly."

Is what they are describing at the 3rd dealer the same thing as the first two? They make an after-market part for #5179470AA that can be had for less than $100. Is this part and 'Coolant Temp Fan Assembly' the same thing?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 21 Mar 2012, 01:28 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Just south of the Mason/Dixon line
Posts: 1,713
Default Re: Is There A How To Sticky For This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPTCruiserInPA View Post
Is there a sticky on how to replace the a/c fan for a 2006 base PT? I've looked at the stickies and there are a couple different ones for fans, but I don't know if they are for the right fan? Is the fan that works the a/c different from the radiator fan that keeps the car from overheating? Or is there only one fan?

I had another post about this, but it's buried now, lol. I took the PT to the dealer because of the stumble at idle with A/C on and I thought it was probably the same thing that's happened 2x before.

2008: dealer described it as "fan is not operational at low speed. Nec to replace fan module". No part number for what they replaced.

2010: different dealer, described it as "Needs new fan module as per diagnosis". Part #5179470AA FAN RADIA 7002002

2012: different dealer from 1st two, described as "Coolant Temp Fan Assembly only running intermittently. Recommend replacing Coolant Temp Fan Assembly."

Is what they are describing at the 3rd dealer the same thing as the first two? They make an after-market part for #5179470AA that can be had for less than $100. Is this part and 'Coolant Temp Fan Assembly' the same thing?
i believe all 3 are replacing the same thing, the one and only fan modual
__________________
.....................................
'03 GT base w/175k and a 2 speed autostick (read: trans is shot) and powered by a hybrid MOPAR S3 with DSP untuned
1st Forward Motion E1 powered PTGT w/Psi-Fi Power pack fuel tuner back in '07
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 21 Mar 2012, 01:39 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 104
Default Re: Is There A How To Sticky For This?

Oh, ok! I was trying to explain it to my father, who was trying to explain the problem to his mechanic, and they are both saying what I'm telling them isn't making sense. I've been saying it's an a/c fan and that it is a separate thing, while the mechanic is saying it's the radiator fan. Though the car hasn't overheated, or at least we've never noticed it doing that. If we kept the a/c on in idle for an extended period of time, would it then overheat (we keep it off now)?

Also, can I use the directions in this sticky:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...-01-05-pt.html

for the 2006 model? Is there anything different that has to be done for the 2006?

Last edited by NewPTCruiserInPA; 21 Mar 2012 at 01:49 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 21 Mar 2012, 03:54 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Just south of the Mason/Dixon line
Posts: 1,713
Default Re: Is There A How To Sticky For This?

you can get a copy of the FSM (factory Service manual) here somewhere to download for free. It may not be year specific, but i would think 90% of it pertains to all PT years. I need to replace my radiator very soon so i'll be in the same boat as you in removing the fan.
__________________
.....................................
'03 GT base w/175k and a 2 speed autostick (read: trans is shot) and powered by a hybrid MOPAR S3 with DSP untuned
1st Forward Motion E1 powered PTGT w/Psi-Fi Power pack fuel tuner back in '07
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21 Mar 2012, 06:52 pm
mdfrodolives's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,313
Default Re: Is There A How To Sticky For This?

There is only one fan. It cools the radiator and your A/C condensor.

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 21 Mar 2012, 07:02 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,904
Default Re: Is There A How To Sticky For This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
There is only one fan. It cools the radiator and your A/C condensor.

Tim
X2 The fan has 2 speeds.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 21 Mar 2012, 07:14 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: south of Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,037
Default Re: Is There A How To Sticky For This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
X2 The fan has 2 speeds.
and the turbo fan has a million-bazillion speeds because it's an infinitely variable speed fan. The speed is controlled by the PCM to react to any given set of parameters that the engine supplies.

Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2012, 09:50 pm
mdfrodolives's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,313
Default Re: Is There A How To Sticky For This?

Forget about the variable speeds ... you have a base model. Yes, the fan you need is a two-speed.

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2012, 10:02 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: south of Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,037
Default Re: Is There A How To Sticky For This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Forget about the variable speeds ... you have a base model. Yes, the fan you need is a two-speed.

Tim
The fact that he needed a two speed was already noted and confirmed, thats why my comment started with the word "AND" and contained the word "turbo" at the start. Just an fyi for the turbo guys that weren't aware of that fact. Didn't want them to buy a two-speed fan by mistake. Make sense Tim?

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 22 Mar 2012 at 10:08 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2012, 10:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 5,324
Default Re: Is There A How To Sticky For This?

Okay guys - you're not all on the same page. You have an engine coolant fan, then you have an interior fan. That interior fan moves both heat and AC cooled air. It's also a two-speed fan.

Now it sounds to me like you're speaking about the Air Conditioner fan??? Totally separate! If this is what you're talking about, it has nothing to do with the fan unit at the front of the car.

I guess a better question would be WTF is your problem? lol If you're not getting any air flow inside the car, that's one thing. If the AC unit is not cooling properly, that's something totally else.

Now, if you can't answer those questions I'd go to the first thread in this section and pull down the parts catalog. It has a pretty good drawing of the plumbing for the AC system.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sticky throttle? Roxx Tech & Performance Forum 2 29 Jun 2011 08:41 pm
Another Sticky quicksilverdon Tech & Performance Forum 3 29 Nov 2006 02:39 pm
Sway bar sticky? turbomangt Tech & Performance Forum 5 26 Feb 2004 09:39 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors