Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Integrated Power Module (TIPM) 2006 PT Touring Edition 4dr, 2.4L

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2012, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Integrated Power Module (TIPM) 2006 PT Touring Edition 4dr, 2.4L

I'm going through an ordeal and ask for some help. Wife's PT cruiser above: front passenger headlamp (lowbeam) inoperative. I took the wheels off, got into the low beam access hole and removed both bulbs. Bought replacement bulb for R/F lowbeam. Installed new bulb, does not work. Checked bulb on L/F headlamp...it worked; so its not a bulb issue. Checked voltage to bulb socket; got 12 v when lamps turned on...Checked ground on socket and confirmed its good with continuity check. So...i've got good headlamp bulp, good socket, 12V and good ground.

Checked "fuses on "TIPM"... they all are ok. Came to this forum as a lurker and read there exists problems with this model year's TIPMs. Sooooo.....I removed the air cleaner, bellows to intake manifold, airflow sensor in bellows, air cleaner box, disconnected neg terminal, pos terminal on battery, removed TIPM mounting bracket and then disconnected all the wiring to see what's going on. Could not see any problems.

Reassembled all parts and checked car, reset clocks, checked OBD, etc.

All electrical components function EXCEPT

1. R/F lowbeam headlamp still not working

2. NOW the power windows do not work, and the front windows are down.

The funny thing is, I've seen a few PT cruisers in my area running around with only one headlamp on. Here are my questions:

1. Do you think this is the TIPM (its 2 circuit boards at right angle)?

2. If yes, (I think it is) do you recommend i buy a used TIPM? What is the estimated cost?

3. If you recommend a new TIPM, any recommended vendors? Dealership markup on parts makes buying one at the local dealership cost prohibitive.

4. Is it true (from lurking on this forum) that i have to go exclusively to a dealership and have the TIPM reprogrammed? Any accurate cost estimates?

I lost my job 4 months ago, so money is an issue to me.

Wife wants to just stay with current TIPM, endure the one headlight and just raise the windows. Can i raise the windows by removing door panel, and supplying 12V to the 2 front windows? Would this work? Any recommendations? How do I remove door panels.

Finally, as a casual observation, the PT cruiser is a nice car for my wife, small, manueverable and has a nice seating posture. But the electrical system certainly seems unnecessarily complex.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04 Apr 2012, 10:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Integrated Power Module (TIPM) 2006 PT Touring Edition 4dr, 2.4L

Do you have a set of test leads?
I have attached a photo of them.
Get to your socket and pin out the socket contacts with the test leads to the bulb.
Have some one help you if needed and use pins if needed to make sure that contact from the socket to the bulb is perfect.
This will test if it's a bulb to socket contact problem.
Just fixed a problem like this in my brother's kid's Honda
Once we determined it was a contact issue I changed the socket and it works like a charm.

I hope this helps

Edit: If you get the light working then we can look at the window problem.
Chrysler has way too many dangling wires on the PT and most often that is the source of electrical problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_1813.jpg (93.2 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by bob2006; 04 Apr 2012 at 10:28 pm.
Old 09 Apr 2012, 02:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Dorman Products offers this TIPM as an R & R option. That might work for you.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 09:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

old corps, what did you decide to do? i have the exact same problem with the exact same pt cruiser...my mechanic said I just need to replace the tipm, any idea where to get a deal on one?
Old 31 Mar 2014, 11:40 am
Regular Cruiser

I looked quick and there are some on ebay? There are used ones that are crazy, and I think I saw new ones that are real crazy for price (with exchange).
If i was buying used, I would try and start with a local yard.
I haven't put any time or thought into this post, just a place to look for ideas?
Old 26 Jun 2014, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Integrated Power Module (TIPM) 2006 PT Touring Edition 4dr, 2.4L

Hi all - We have issues with window not rolling up, sun roof and power ports not working. we purchased a Doorman TIPM from Autozone - Before I dig in and try it I wondered if anyone has done them themselves or has a service manual

2006 PT
Old 10 Oct 2014, 03:10 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm replying to this thread with a question of my own. When I got this PT it had a battery light on occasionally that usually goes out by itself soon after illuminating. When I had the rig checked out by the local Chrysler dealer they couldn't find anything wrong with the charging system or battery but said that a bulletin told them to change the TIPM. I elected not to have them do it, spooked by the nearly $1000 they quoted for the job.

I'm wondering if you guys with more knowledge would advise me to replace this module when I'm not actually having any trouble except for the occasional light?
But growing on me
Old 10 Oct 2014, 10:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101Vet View Post
I'm replying to this thread with a question of my own. When I got this PT it had a battery light on occasionally that usually goes out by itself soon after illuminating. When I had the rig checked out by the local Chrysler dealer they couldn't find anything wrong with the charging system or battery but said that a bulletin told them to change the TIPM. I elected not to have them do it, spooked by the nearly $1000 they quoted for the job.

I'm wondering if you guys with more knowledge would advise me to replace this module when I'm not actually having any trouble except for the occasional light?
Did you check your ground wires? Check your ground wires going to the driver's side fender. They are known to have bad connections even if they look good on the outside.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 10:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the tip, good sir! I will check that out tomorrow. Much appreciated.
But growing on me
Old 11 Oct 2014, 09:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101Vet View Post

Charging wire from alternator (heavy wire) routes to starter with fusable links, make sure it is secured and not rubbing on axle
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Tags
electrical, ipm