PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...

Like Tree29Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2013, 09:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...

I am changing fan radiator and pretty much coolant leaked out(( so I got G-05 and mine coolant have an orange color. So i was wondering can i mix them? I am not sure I want to deal with flushing it out and put a new one.
And if i need to do it anyway, its saying i need to do 50/50, will it be enough one gallon of coolant + 1 gallon of water, or Cruiser need more?
Old 21 Jun 2013, 09:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

HOAT also known as or G O-5 and Vice versa .

Some facts about HOAT. HOAT formulations are hybrid coolants because they contain additive ingredients from both OAT and conventional formulas and is compatible with both. OAT can not be used with other coolants.

NEVER go by the color of any coolant as it is a coloring dye that is put into coolant for leak detection and is not a reliable way of identifying coolant type.

Always read the warning and usage on the container of the coolant before adding.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Jun 2013, 09:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is no real way to determine how much coolant you will need to replace because you are doing only a simple procedure and there are to many variables in question. I would recommend to have at least 2 gallons of the coolant you choose to use on hand in case one gallon is
insufficient.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Jun 2013, 03:05 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

This was an awesome read through.

last summer I replaced my rad fan because I was experiencing that lugging feeling during idle with the a/c on and the a/c was blowing warm.

so far its fixed the a/c blowing warm but at times I still get that lugging at idle.(not sure what to make of it replaced plugs, plug wires, and coil)

anyways at the sametime I had a t-stat code...coolant was taking too long to get warm.

so I replaced the tstat....sur enough the old one had a bit of its rubber seal stuck in.

At the time I did a drain.
a radiator flush using distilled water and I think it was prestone's radiator flush.
drained that.
flushed again with just distilled water.
drained that.
I picked up a gallon of coolant from the dealership....yeah it was expensive but it turned out to be enough coolant for 2 fill ups.

I also added a coolant additive....I was hoping to get water wetter but my wal-mart only had one called Hy-per Lube Super coolant....was picking it up when I got the distilled water.

I poured the whole bottle in and then mixed in coolant and water....I didn't do an exact measurement....kinda just eyeballed it....I got a Spill-Free Funnel just for doing this project. makes bleeding so much easier. Every dealership I worked for nearly every tech had one of these funnels. but I digress.

any extra I dumped into the over flow resivor...ohh also I pulled the resivor off the fire wall and rinsed it out before filling the raditor and it.

just kinda wondering what you think of snake oils like hyper lube's and water wetter?

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 26 Jun 2013, 06:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by srebik View Post
just kinda wondering what you think of snake oils like hyper lube's and water wetter?
If everything else is running OK, your not overheating, the idle's smooth, there's no hesitation, IMHO there's no need for snake oils. Now after saying that, about once every few months or so, I through in a bottle of Chevron Techron for preventative maintenance of the fuel system.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 09:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

Again, no matter what you decide to use, change coolant frequently.
I'm finding lots and lots of corrosion on thermostat water neck (aka Connector) and even on head gasket mating surface.

Some pits are so deep its nearly impossible to resurface.

Look up a new connector ...

4884004AA

$210
Old 01 Jul 2013, 10:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok I have to ask if Zerex G-05 is yellow and most other Hoat's are and Chrysler Hoat is Orange then why is the antifreeze in mine Red and the former Chrysler Master mechanic that I work with says that all Chrysler's com with Red , then what is the right coolant ? Who makes Red Hoat ?

Old 01 Jul 2013, 10:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Zerex is not yellow well maybe kind of and not Orange more of a mix
Old 02 Jul 2013, 06:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

The Zerex looks yellow.The Mopar looks orangish red , I saw that Mopar has changed to pink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA_IMAG0827.jpg (20.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg coolant4cc.jpg (55.0 KB, 36 views)

Old 06 Jul 2013, 03:14 am
Young Cruiser

You guys really have me on a mission now! I got my PT from a Toyota dealership, so I'm not sure if they went by the book with my car. If they put an aftermarket rad fan in it, then they probably have the regular stuff or something in it. The days here are hot and humid, and I'm having a slight (but ongoing) issue with my a/c and the temps.

I like to be "better safe than sorry", so I may just have my system flushed.

2004 GT
Closed Thread