PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...

Like Tree29Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2013, 09:34 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuterChickFL View Post
You guys really have me on a mission now! I got my PT from a Toyota dealership, so I'm not sure if they went by the book with my car. If they put an aftermarket rad fan in it, then they probably have the regular stuff or something in it. The days here are hot and humid, and I'm having a slight (but ongoing) issue with my a/c and the temps.

I like to be "better safe than sorry", so I may just have my system flushed.
I have never had a car that was so fussy about fluids! We had no issues with cooling on ours got it with 119000 miles on it. And I had been adding anti freeze as needed but I was'nt paying any attention to what the type was,then I got on here and..uh oh??

SO I just said screw it took it to the dealer got it and the tranny serviced. I did know about the ATF4.

Just easier to get it done right the first time and carry on from there sometimes.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The PT is not fussy it may be mis-informed owners? The "H" in the HOAT(Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) means it is a hybrid and compatible with other coolants so your mixing it harmed nothing.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Jul 2013, 10:08 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Well that's good to know! And it explains why nothing changed! But we had the brakes bleed and refilled, tranny serviced also so it's all good!
Old 15 Aug 2013, 09:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK, I just got my 02 with 119,000 miles, and have noticed a leak under the car with an oily type residue.

I checked the Clutch Fluid, Brake Fluid, Power Steering Fluid, and Oil, and all were good. I did notice she looked low on Coolant tho, but she isn't overheating at all.

Can this be coolant leaking, or is there something else I should check?
Old 15 Aug 2013, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Because it doesn't appear to be low, doesn't mean that those are not your leak. Coolant isn't oil by itself. Need to find out what it is. Color and smell can help with that. Try putting some cardboard or paper under were you think you are getting the spot. This way you can see the color and location of the leak.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Aug 2013, 06:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...

This might help you identify what is leaking. Find the Fluid: Identifying Your Car's Drips - The Allstate Blog
Old 04 Oct 2013, 06:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

My PT is a 2005 touring convertible which I recently purchased with 43K. Former owner only used it during the summer months when he was in the country. I decided, among other maintenance initiatives, that the coolant should be renewed because of the likelihood that it was original, and now 7/8 years old.

Decided to have a professional flush done to get any guck out of there and to refresh things completely. This turned out to be an insurmountable task. I carefully inquired as to each garage's fluid use. In almost every case, they used a company provided generic antifreeze which they swore was compatible with HOAT (or wouldn't "harm" it). Being mindful of all the caveats about incompatibility in these pages, I didn't buy that line. By this time, I had purchased 3 gallons of Zerex G-05 concentrate and had mixed up two of them 60/40 because I need to achieve a near -45F freeze point. And now I decided to read the OM to see what Chrysler said was the capacity of the cooling system (6.5 litress - considerably less than the 16 or so litres....information being circulated here).

Yesterday afternoon when I got home from yet another aborted flush appointment, I thought what the hell, I'd do it myself; maybe a few times if I had to, on the assumption that multiple rad flushes/refills might be an appropriate second choice. Piece of cake. Got about 6 litres out of the rad (good clear pinkish fluid which I'm fairly certain was the original fill). No guck. Buttoned everything up, got my recommended coke-bottle-based pouring spout ready and poured in the aforementioned 60/40 mixture, bled the air and we seem to be back in business. The fluid in the overflow didn't change colour at all (I added some Zerex to bring it up to the recommended level), and the fluid in the rad has remained pretty much the urine yellow of the Zerex mix. Maybe somebody can help me with why all this didn't seem to mix up with the overflow bottle fluid.

Anyway, thanks to many of you for your thoughtful comments about how you view rad flushes/fills, the way you did them, the problems you had and solutions you found and shared.

I plan to do another of these after I take the car out of storage in the spring again, and will likely continue one per year for as long as I have this car on the theory that frequent drain/fill cycles will keep the guck at bay and the wter pump and associated mechanics happy and fulfilled.

2005 Touring, 54600 Km (non turbo)

Last edited by epiquire; 04 Oct 2013 at 06:43 am. Reason: typos
Old 04 Oct 2013, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiquire View Post
My PT is a 2005 touring convertible which I recently purchased with 43K. Former owner only used it during the summer months when he was in the country. I decided, among other maintenance initiatives, that the coolant should be renewed because of the likelihood that it was original, and now 7/8 years old.

Decided to have a professional flush done to get any guck out of there and to refresh things completely. This turned out to be an insurmountable task. I carefully inquired as to each garage's fluid use. In almost every case, they used a company provided generic antifreeze which they swore was compatible with HOAT (or wouldn't "harm" it). Being mindful of all the caveats about incompatibility in these pages, I didn't buy that line. By this time, I had purchased 3 gallons of Zerex G-05 concentrate and had mixed up two of them 60/40 because I need to achieve a near -45F freeze point. And now I decided to read the OM to see what Chrysler said was the capacity of the cooling system (6.5 litress - considerably less than the 16 or so litres....information being circulated here).

Yesterday afternoon when I got home from yet another aborted flush appointment, I thought what the hell, I'd do it myself; maybe a few times if I had to, on the assumption that multiple rad flushes/refills might be an appropriate second choice. Piece of cake. Got about 6 litres out of the rad (good clear pinkish fluid which I'm fairly certain was the original fill). No guck. Buttoned everything up, got my recommended coke-bottle-based pouring spout ready and poured in the aforementioned 60/40 mixture, bled the air and we seem to be back in business. The fluid in the overflow didn't change colour at all (I added some Zerex to bring it up to the recommended level), and the fluid in the rad has remained pretty much the urine yellow of the Zerex mix. Maybe somebody can help me with why all this didn't seem to mix up with the overflow bottle fluid.

Anyway, thanks to many of you for your thoughtful comments about how you view rad flushes/fills, the way you did them, the problems you had and solutions you found and shared.

I plan to do another of these after I take the car out of storage in the spring again, and will likely continue one per year for as long as I have this car on the theory that frequent drain/fill cycles will keep the guck at bay and the wter pump and associated mechanics happy and fulfilled.
Its the pump seals and bearings that fail due to ware not the fluid. Here in the states it's becoming universal fluids here. Parts stores not even handling the zrex. All that brown goop you see in the pics. Well lets say that isn't all antifreeze. There is the problem. Low end stop leak additives is where that comes from. Every three to five years is good for the change cycle.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Oct 2013, 11:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ditto what Busted said. Personally, changing the coolant fluid is a waste of time and money. The good thing about HOAT is that as long as you use good fluids, it never turns gunky! It's great stuff. Everyone complains about it's cost and such, but to tell the truth, it's darned good stuff!
Old 02 Nov 2013, 05:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey all...new PT owner here, 2007 Touring model w/64K miles on it. I am the third owner of this PT...first owner was a rental agency for about a year...they only put about 2500 miles on it and the second owner had it until they traded it in several weeks ago.

I have no idea what there is in the cooling system...is there a way to know for sure whether it is HOAT coolant or otherwise or should I just drain and flush the system and put the HOAT in it just to be sure?
Closed Thread