PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...

Like Tree29Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2013, 03:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...

I am in the UK and the only way if getting HOAT here is to fork out 64! I have bought the OAT antifreeze (pink fluid) from Halfords tonight and wanted to know if it would be OK to use? If not is my only option paying for the HOAT?

I am loosing coolant and got a long trip ahead of me in a few days and want to least top her up and get it sorted when I return. So any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
R
Old 03 Apr 2014, 04:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, great info, but humor me and answer this please. I just added some green coolant to the overflow. With your understanding of this subject, should I make it a priority to drain and refill or flush and fill? I'm a little worried.
Old 03 Apr 2014, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Id say dont leave it in a log time im not sure what a long time is but i do think that the 2 diffrent types do not play well
you dont have to use HOAT but what I have read is it is kinda designed to work with the metals in the PT system so whay not use it??
I knwo if you change anti freez you need to do a really good detailed flush make sure the old is out use distilled water and the new anti freez and you should be good
Thuis is a hot topic and Im sure some one will post up what they think
Old 03 Apr 2014, 09:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
On my cars which use HOAT, I use the zerex G5 and distilled water.

If you are smart, in the PT, I just drain them every other year, add 1 gallon Zerex G5 and top with 2 1/2 qts distilled water. I have never had any issues with radiators clogging.

I did have to replace the radiator in my 03 GT because it started leaking at the crimp.

At Napa a gallon of zerex is 12$ and a gallon of distilled water from Wally World is 1$.

In my older cars I ran propolene glycol. Amsoil and Safer Lowtox
make that. The advantage with propelene is if you get any in the oil it will not wipe out the bearings but ethelene at like 3% will take out the bearings. A guy at an oil analysis lab told me that years ago.
i bought used, i'm going to drain and flush tomorrow, should i empty first, put a hose threw the rad opening and run some water threw first,hopefully bringing some crud out with it, and to fill is 1 gallon of HOAT and the 2 1/2 qts distilled water, that will fill rad and overflow, is that a good flush Technic?

Semper Fidelis!!!
Old 03 Apr 2014, 09:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

i mean flush w/distilled water? does shoprite carry that?lol,,,anyhow should i buy a flushing chemical and if so which is the best, i cant believe someone would complain over 20-30 for antifreeze that's going PROTECT AND NO HARM///

Semper Fidelis!!!
Old 26 Apr 2014, 07:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Most company's have gone with a universal 5 year mix. Hoat isn't even available in europe anymore from chrysler. Just to up grade this a little.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 May 2014, 01:47 pm
Young Cruiser

I have a question: Should I use HOAT coolant at this point?

Here is my story.....

I bought my used '01 PT with 69,000 on it in 2007. I assume I had the original manufacturer's coolant in the system at the time. I did a flush around 140,000, due to the beginnings of overheating, at a Quick Lube oil change place and am not sure what was put in at that time due to my ignorance of the whole HOAT requirement and I am pretty sure neither did the Quick Lube.

Since that time I have been wrestling the coolant system. I hit a deer around 150,000 and that cracked the top of the radiator at the mounting post. I used JB Weld on it and that worked fine - no leaks. I ordered a new one from ebay and dropped it in about 6 months later and refilled with regular coolant. The fan switch died next and I ended up, after and exhaustive search, with the old toggle switch in the car trick to control the cooling fan which I still use.

I had another radiator split along the seam due to my overflow hose being clogged with the lovely rusty gunk and there was no place for the pressure to go. This happened around 225,000.

I now have 307,500 miles and it was the coldest winter in ages around here. I basically have no heat, I get a small defrosted area on the windshield for driving.

Now that summer is coming along, I am starting to use the fan switch again. 3 days ago, I was cruising down the highway at 80 mph and the temp went up gradually and then dinged and the light came on as I was getting on the off ramp. I have a plume of steam and boiling sounds. I drove a couple of miles down the road and pulled over and lifted the hood to let things cool. I noticed the steam was coming from the radiator cap and the overflow tank outlet spout, which I assumed was a good thing....that meant to mean there was no leak elsewhere. I refilled the system with 50/50 and drove into work and still show no signs of issues. I drive 110 miles each day round trip for work.

So now it seems I am boiling off coolant. I have no leaks anywhere as far as on the ground or along the sides of the engine. My gas mileage drops in the winter and rises in the summer. For the few summers, I have been bad to my engine, but it doesn't seem to care. I have driven it for long periods while the temperature was pegged at the top of the gauge....but it just doesn't seem to matter to it! This is because the coolant level was probably low.

That all being said, and having 307,500 miles and I'm sure a load of rusty stuff in my system, does it make sense at this point to flush everything out and get the HOAT in there? Or leave it be... Thanks for any advice!
390,200 miles as of 3/22/21 '01 PT Cruiser automatic Original (Engine, Transmission, Power Steeering Pump)...3rd Radiator and Fan (with added fan toggle switch mounted inside of car)...3rd Crank Sensor, 2nd Cam Sensor, 3 Timing Belts replaced (1st at 140,000 the 2nd at 345,000 the 3rd at 369,000 due to tensioner fail), 1 Rack and Pinion, 1 water pump at 345,000, 2 alternators - 1 at 345,000 and 1 at 384,000) 4th Watts Link, Serpentine Tensioner at 369,700, New front and rear Brake Calipers at 388,000.

Last edited by rhino169; 10 May 2014 at 12:38 pm.
Old 09 May 2014, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I cheated on my 5 year coolant change. I used a siphon hose and drained the overflow, then took off the radiator cap and drained as much as I could, then refilled with distilled water. I did this 3 or 4 times, driving around for a day oe two between changes, then added 3 qts of fresh Zyrex G05 on the final drain/fill. A lot quicker and easier than removing the air cleaner, battery, battery tray, etc. if you just need to refresh the coolant.
1974 Plymouth Duster Slant 6
1979 Dodge Lil' Red Express 360 4bbl
1990 Dodge W350 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 5 speed
2001 BMW 750iL V12
2009 PT Cruiser 5 speed
Old 09 May 2014, 06:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

rhino169, A flush and new coolant of your choice is a good idea. Just use one kind and don't mix. It all pretty universal and 5 year. Hoat isn't even available in european Chrysler dealers any more from what I was told. So how important is it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Aug 2014, 12:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Here's an interesting article from Hemmings:

Tech 101 the colors of antifreeze | Hemmings Daily

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Closed Thread