PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Starter problems (continued)

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2012, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Starter problems (continued)

PT Cruiser 2005 2.4L with manual transmission and 42000 miles. last week problems with 'no start' . Intermittent at first Now lucky if get a single start up. Usually in the morning first thing. Then goes AWOL for the day. tested the starter motor by strapping 12v to the solenoid and it cranks and turns the engine every time. I then stuck a volt meter on the brown wire that should provide the solenoid voltage and does not show anything when ignition start and clutch-starter pedal depressed. Checked the clutch pedal-starter switch with ohm meter and sure enough I get a full short when depressed. I am guessing this is correct. Normal position is open circuit. I get 11volts from the ignition in run and start positions measured must before the clutch starter switch ignition side. I Then changed the engine starter relay with one of same spec in the power distribution centre. The problem persists. I am running out of ideas.
I am wondering if the power train control module is at play here as I can see a control relay connected to the coil in the engine starter relay in my diagram. nyone been on this journey??? What's my next turn
Old 22 Jul 2012, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Starter problems (continued)

Are you sure it's not the battery? 550 CCA factory on mine, when I had it load tested, while it was holding 14.2v at charge, it only put out 440 CCA. If I tried starting it like three times in a row, it would go all the way down to 330 CCA, so the battery obviously had a problem. Replaced it and the problem is gone.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I used the same battery in situ but from the 'jump start' post. So was a direct connection rather through the ignition switch, clutch pedal-starter switch and the starter relay. But I also tested with a stand-by battery in parallel and it didn't make any difference. All the electrics come on line and I've seen this symptom described in the forum elsewhere but no firm solution identified. The RAC tested the battery when I first called them out. I've regularly charged it through out the ordeal. Much appreciate your reply - Any odeas whatsoever welcomed
Old 22 Jul 2012, 05:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

Sounds like a failing battery to me.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 11:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

I agree with Creepy. Either the battery is going bad, or the battery cable are corroded and causing severe voltage drop. Start with the cables, check both ends for corrosion. If they are good, I'd lean towards a battery.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 23 Jul 2012, 07:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
I agree with Creepy. Either the battery is going bad, or the battery cable are corroded and causing severe voltage drop. Start with the cables, check both ends for corrosion. If they are good, I'd lean towards a battery.
X2, remove and clean all cable junctions all the way to the starter and ground on the block and chases. Then swap the other battery if that didn't help.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Jul 2012, 10:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

With recommendations on failing battery I put in a 540 amp crank spec new off the shelf measured 12.7volts so had a good charge. No difference the patient did not respond. My existing battery is out of guarantee so this is an ok move to eliminate the battery with early retirement to the dolly. checked the large battery connections and cables and all look clean and no corrosion. earths have sound connection to the chassis. No rust nor deterioration visible.
spooky thing is that the car has started each morning first thing on last 3 days. Then nothing after that throughout the day. any inspiration out there?? Thanks for all your input so far!

...when the patient does start it has a very poor idling output. I would expect a cold start to up the revs with a rich mixture but it appears to croak unless I rev it up. Not sure if this is connected to none start problems.

Last edited by Carewser; 23 Jul 2012 at 11:00 am. Reason: Forgot to mention poor idling on the occasions it does fire up
Old 23 Jul 2012, 06:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Could be the key reader thingy acting up. Key switch???
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 06:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carewser View Post
With recommendations on failing battery I put in a 540 amp crank spec new off the shelf measured 12.7volts so had a good charge. No difference the patient did not respond. My existing battery is out of guarantee so this is an ok move to eliminate the battery with early retirement to the dolly. checked the large battery connections and cables and all look clean and no corrosion. earths have sound connection to the chassis. No rust nor deterioration visible.
spooky thing is that the car has started each morning first thing on last 3 days. Then nothing after that throughout the day. any inspiration out there?? Thanks for all your input so far!

...when the patient does start it has a very poor idling output. I would expect a cold start to up the revs with a rich mixture but it appears to croak unless I rev it up. Not sure if this is connected to none start problems.
Just to clarify; It started 3 mornings in a row and had poor idle. But would not start later on each day, and by nothing you mean no crank. Do I have that right?

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 23 Jul 2012, 06:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That's right. First thing in the morning it started and I idle it for a while. Then switch off and subsequent start attempts and it doesn't crank at all. Dashboard comes up. Lights ok but no engagement from the starter motor.
owned from New & 30 miles
Issues History:
- fog lights drain battery (PENDING-FUSE OUT-SUSPECT MF SWITCH)
- Mis firing causing judder when accelerating (FIXED-NEW COIL)
- suspension front bushes fail MOT (FIXED-NEW BUSHES)
- rear (tailgate) washer wiper leaks inside cabin(PENDING)
- Intermittent No start-No Crank (FIXED-NEW ACTUATOR IN IGNITION SWITCH ASSEMBLY)