PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Added a small amount of the wrong tranny fluid.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2012, 01:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Added a small amount of the wrong tranny fluid.

That is true - the only way to get it all out is to tear it down and rebuild. IF adding a half quart is insignificant, then I am sure the amount that doesn't come out from a simple drain is even more insignificant.

The chrysler transmission (or any other) is designed to expect the fluid to have a specific level of friction. By using even a small amount of type F the friction level has been reduced. By how much, is anyone's guess.

You can do nothing and how the amount is insignificant, but of you are wrong the transmission may die X amount of miles sooner that it would have otherwise.

You can drain it and fill it - again it will have trace amount of dilution with type F -- but this will result in lesser trace amount, reducing the risk of harm.

Or you can tear it down and disassemble and be sure.... probably a little overkill

If it were mine I'd change the fluid.
Old 26 Aug 2012, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default some informal TECH info

Commonly known information:
Chrysler ATF+4 (ATE) -- Introduced in 1998, ATF+4 is synthetic and replaces the previous ATF+3 fluid. Used primarily for 2000 and 2001 vehicles, it can also be used in earlier Chrysler transmissions (except 1999 and older minivans with 41TE/AE transmission). ATF+3 should continue to be used for 1999 and earlier minivans because of the potential for torque converter shudder during break in.

NOTE: Chrysler ATF+4 Must always be used in vehicles that were originally filled with ATF+4. The red dye used in ATF+4 is not permanent. As the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4 also has a unique odor that may change with age. Therefore, do not relay on the color and odor of ATF+4 to determine if the fluid needs to be changed. Follow the OEM recommended service interval.

Chrysler ATF+5 for 2002 and newer models.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

I seldom post a response in such a fashion but it will save me the trouble of debunking myths and technically incorrect none factually supported information. So here is what you do to end your worries about your PT's mixed AFT type F into your transmission.

1) go to the auto parts retail store and get at least one (better 2) of these. LUBEGARD Platinum Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Protectant with LXE® & SYNERGOL® Technology.
It comes in 15oz. bottles.

2) Drain at least the equivalent of either 15oz or 30 0z for 2 bottles of LUBEGARD Platinum

3) Replace the removed ATF with the LUBEGARD Platinum

Now what ever ATF type F may have been mixed with the original ATF-4 will have absolutely no consequent to the the remaining life, nor will it harm in any way or shorten the life your transmission.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

FAQ:
From their Q & A:

"The ATF called for in my owner's manual is hard to find and expensive, is there an alternative that can give me the same performance?"

ANSWER:

LUBEGARD ATF Protectants & Supplements have been tested and are proven to provide the best ATF equivalents. They are the #1 used transmission fluid conversion additives by professional transmission technicians sold today. For information on a specific ATF option simply refer to the LUBEGARD ATF Application Chart or call 800-333-LUBE(5823).

For use with any specified ATF recommended by the car manufacturer, such as OEM types and,
Enhances DEXRON® III, VI/MERCON® , V ATF to perform like a highly friction modified ATF, such as:
– Honda® Genuine ATF
– Toyota® Type T/TII/TIV
– Mopar® ATF + 3® (7176)
– Mopar® ATF +4® (9602)

– And all other highly friction modified ATF's

Contains all the same benefits as the LUBEGARD ATF Protectant
Prevents overheating
Dramatically reduces friction & wear on metal parts and internal components
Will not alter the crucial sulfur balance in your transmission fluid
Will not harm yellow metals
Inhibits fluid oxidation and foaming
Contains patented Synergol® TMS Technology, a synthetic molecule that tightens the shift cycle without losing the friction modification at lockup, which eliminates shudder
Eliminates torque converter shudders
Ensures proper shifts
Frees stuck valves & keeps them free
Extends fluid change intervals
Protects & restores seals for optimum performance
Conditions & restores seals and o-rings
Does not contain any harmful components such as zinc (ZDDP)/ash, etc., like other competing products

The above information I am passing on to all you member's is regarded as heads up a few of us into Performance Automatic Transmission know. The information is easily obtained but unless you have heard of it or someone using it this type of information seldom is passed along by way of a forum?

I Hope this helps..If anyone thinks it will not work PLEASE don't post unless you have experience with LUBEGARD or have at least contacted LUBEGARD and talked with them directly?

RalphE likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 26 Aug 2012 at 03:28 pm.
Old 19 Nov 2021, 09:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

from experince i can assure you the pt transmssion is very very sensitve to the wrong trans fluid in it.

i changed my axels 3 times and the last time i nicked the seal and lost all my fluid in less than a 2 blockls on a test drive, i added all the oem fluid i had and 1 quart of non atf4 . i dont rember what it was unfortuntly, just to get it back to my driveway and work on it, it was slipping imensly. with me just babing it to get to the driveway, i changed the axel seal drained all the fluid and drained the pan, ( i had new fluid in there already before and put a drain plug pan on),
i filled with vavoline transmax atf4 IT STILL SLIPPED,
i redraioned it all out and ordred a case of mopar trans fluid off smazon

Fits-JEEP DODGE CHRYSLER ATF+4 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID CASE OF 12 QUARTS MOPAR
by Falls Mopar City
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MD18HUR...ing=UTF8&psc=1

never slipped again,,
Old 24 Nov 2021, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1013 View Post
from experince i can assure you the pt transmssion is very very sensitve to the wrong trans fluid in it.

I actually received a email notification that this watched thread was responded on after sooooo long

No ..... the PT Cruiser or highly common transmission used by Chrysler over several years on various model MOPARS the A604/41TE transmission is NOT sensitive to a small amount of the wrong Automatic transmission fluid.

Your situation likely has more to do with something other then the "1 quart" of ATF you used?

Looking into and what the components are used as well what they are made of it is not much different from a GM or FORD transmission .

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 25 Nov 2021, 04:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Blowing the dust off this old thread, let me ad my .02...
Once upon a time, had a minivan with the A604 (aka A slip-o-four) that started puking trans fluid out a failing axle shaft seal. Added dex/merc fluid to it for a week or so until getting around to replacing the seal. No apparent ill affects...
Note, this is not intended to be a recommendation for using an unspecified fluid... YMMV.