Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser won't start. No Spark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2012, 12:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser won't start. No Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_the_grouch View Post
I went old school with the cat conv.,......it was pretty clogged up so it now has no internals.........could that be an issue?? I really didn't feel like paying what they wanted for a new converter and figured it would perform a little better opened up.

was i wrong to think this? Could this be causing the problem?

The converter was punched out before the manifold was replaced and was driven about 100 miles that way before i swapped out the manifold and it ran GREAT,......it was just noisy.

Keep in mind that we got this car non running w/ broken timing belt and it sat for almost 3 years in this condition before me got it,..........it has ALOT of miles however it was never abused and recieved regular maintnance from the dealer since new (apparently some half assed service),..........we really don't know much about it because my father in law (original owner) passed away and we don't have the service records.

I'm convinced that the issues are electrical since it ran great with the new timing belt,........and for all these electrical issues to just pop up after a simple exhaust manifold replacement seem a little suspicious to me.
i would personally *im a little nuts*

Replace the crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, idle air controller, throttle position sensor. if its sat for 3 years . If someone tried to crank it with the broken timing belt it could have offset the timing as well, shop can test it with a timing light pretty cheap.

I've seen many cars run with nothing in the way of an exhaust system, just cutt off at the manifold. and they did fine. but they had no 02 sensors seeing as they had no exhaust at all

However i didnt see them after 6 or so months of this.

There is a slight possibility that the internals on the cat not being present is giving the vehicle too much flow out of the exhaust causing the PCM to believe it is over revving, seeing as most 02 sensors that run to the PCM are located infront of and behind the cat itself. IF its giving off a highly saturated reading it could easily cause this.
Old 09 Sep 2012, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser won't start. No Spark

Just an update for the group: I still have to replace the MAP sensor (worker 84 hours this week) To tired to mess with it now. The car has a very rough idle and will cut out and stall when driving (around the block only) and its VERY hard to start,.........acts like it is running out of gas,......starts hard, sputters,....will not rev up.

Will post again when sensor is replaced and how it runs then,......and again, Tanks for the help.