PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hard to shift into gear, worse when cold

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2014, 01:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Hard to shift into gear, worse when cold

Well everyone, I have an update! Yesterday when I tried to turn my car to go home from work, it wouldn't start! Wouldn't even turn over...UGH! I had lights, radio, etc, so I didn't think it was my battery. The section above the odometer that says what gear you are in would light up, and the box was around R, as though the car *thought* it was in reverse...but it definitely was not! I tried to change gears to get it to allow me to turn the car on at least to get home safely, but nothing worked, so I called a tow truck...no choice! Luckily my boyfriend was able to come and try to help...when I tried to show him what it was doing (and that going into neutral wouldn't work)....all of the sudden, snap! And then it was WAY *too* easy to move the shift, and I just knew...shifter cable had snapped. It was EXACTLY like the Intrepid that was mentioned in a previous post. The shop checked it out this morning, and confirmed it was indeed the shifter cable, and nothing else at all is wrong with the car (I had them do a full diagnostic while they were looking at it anyways.) I'm a little upset at the dealership, because they felt that it was hard to shift, yet told me the cold wouldn't make it worse, and I didn't need to worry about it; however, at least it could have been worse.
LionPT and myckee like this.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The cable ought to be WAY cheaper than other possible transmission woes...
Thanks for letting us know the result.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Nov 2014, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Absolutely, and I appreciate everyone's input. Always helps to get an idea of possible issues ahead of time...makes it easier to make sure the shop is staying honest. The cable probably is way cheaper, but it's still a high cost ($440!!). But definitely much cheaper than replacing the entire transmission.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 02:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingingspeedy View Post
Absolutely, and I appreciate everyone's input. Always helps to get an idea of possible issues ahead of time...makes it easier to make sure the shop is staying honest. The cable probably is way cheaper, but it's still a high cost ($440!!). But definitely much cheaper than replacing the entire transmission.
That seems exorbitant - you don't have a location - is your mechanic on Rodeo Drive?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 02:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello..

Try draining the fluid and fill with new... also remember to change the auto box filter.. The fluid should be a nice rich red colour...

Mikee
Old 19 Nov 2014, 03:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozoid View Post
Hello..

Try draining the fluid and fill with new... also remember to change the auto box filter.. The fluid should be a nice rich red colour...

Mikee
They have already determined that the cause was the shifter cable.

Old 19 Nov 2014, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It pays to read ALL posts...
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Never hurts to check the fluid anyways guys! But I did already check it (since I've never had it flushed) and it was that red color, so it's good. And no, my mechanic is not on Rodeo Dr. Unfortunately I'm not the most trusting person, so I just don't want to give out too close to where I'm located...nothing personal to anyone, promise! The shop had to get the part from the dealership, and the labor part was $300 (they charge approx $100/hr.) They're barely cheaper than the dealership on labor; however, they are pretty reliable and honest, and they were close to me when this happened, so it was my best bet. Better than going to someone cheaper in labor but being unsure if they're reliable. This shop has done work before and did well. But still, not money I planned on spending!
Old 19 Nov 2014, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingingspeedy View Post
Never hurts to check the fluid anyways guys! But I did already check it (since I've never had it flushed) and it was that red color, so it's good. And no, my mechanic is not on Rodeo Dr. Unfortunately I'm not the most trusting person, so I just don't want to give out too close to where I'm located...nothing personal to anyone, promise! The shop had to get the part from the dealership, and the labor part was $300 (they charge approx $100/hr.) They're barely cheaper than the dealership on labor; however, they are pretty reliable and honest, and they were close to me when this happened, so it was my best bet. Better than going to someone cheaper in labor but being unsure if they're reliable. This shop has done work before and did well. But still, not money I planned on spending!
3 hrs labor is a bit much to change that cable. In fact a lot much. Call the dealer and ask what Flat rate time to get installed and just to make them fell like they are getting the job. Ask ther rate. Hopefully they won't reconize you. I'm betting An hour to one and a half is all that the book gives.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Nov 2014, 09:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
3 hrs labor is a bit much to change that cable. In fact a lot much. Call the dealer and ask what Flat rate time to get installed and just to make them fell like they are getting the job. Ask ther rate. Hopefully they won't reconize you. I'm betting An hour to one and a half is all that the book gives.
She also had a "full diagnostic" done too, so that probably was the extra 1.5 hours.

Tags
auto, automatic, pt cruiser, trans, transmission