Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo Coolant hose? Replacement/Hose Size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2015, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo Coolant hose? Replacement/Hose Size

Already posted a thread about using fuel hose in place of coolant hose in this application as fuel line was all I could find to fit the metal pipe.

I pulled some cooling system line from another vehicle I have, but the inside diameter is about half that of the original blown hose. I assume this would affect the flow of coolant through this line, and am concerned! The PT seems to run fine, no heat issues etc.

I the original post, I thought this line was just part of the cooling system, and so it is, but I think it's the Turbo cooling line? It's located between the engine and air cleaner assembly, underneath the Turbo air feed/intake, and blocking access to the cam sensor.

I'm very concerned about the cooling capacity of this smaller line as I'm fairly certain it cools the Turbo? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Been perusing the site for hours on end regarding questions I have, and just general interesting threads. The information, and links I ran across lead me to the above question, and more knowledge about our GT. Great site, look forward to being a frequent contributor as I become more proficient in the workings of the PT Cruiser.
Old 09 Mar 2015, 09:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo Coolant hose? Replacement/Hose Size

I would not use a smaller dia hose for the turbo coolant lines. these turbos heat up enough with the OEM hoses. imo, you are risking to much for a cheap fix
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 09 Mar 2015, 09:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The hose is 3/8". My son and have both replaced the factory moulded hose on our turbo cars with a longer length of straight hose being careful to avoid the kinking which reduces flow. It can be done easily.
I don't know if the moulded hose is available from the Chrysler dealer or auto parts stores or not. My hose was replaced because the oem one split as I rounded the corner on my own block. Had hose in the garage and used it. Replaced the one on my sons GT next time he came by.
Old 09 Mar 2015, 07:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I thought this hose was 3/8's", but mine is not molded? I just bought this GT, 2003 BTW, and the previous owner may have replaced it with a straight hose as suggested. I have not been able to identify what this hose is, looked through a 2000 page service manual, (available here as a free download, great gift, thanks PTCruiserLinks) viewed many PT engine bay photos, read tons of threads, and the two possibles are, the hose is either part of the heating system or a turbo coolant line. It is under pressure, the hose is part of the coolant/cooling system, and that's all I know for certain. I'm not sure this turbo is cooled by the coolant system as I can find no reference to it in the owners, service manual, here at PTLinks, or on Google, and Iv'e spent hours searching. 😅 I'll figure it out eventually. Another member stated he would, personally, use factory hoses only on this application, and I agree. I hope while at the dealership I'll find out what this hose is! It does not appear to be formed as this application doesn't seem to merit a preformed hose as in the radiator or PVC hoses. The hose is about 8-10 inches long with a simple u-bend going to and from two metal pipes. Anyone have any ideas, I'm still looking for an answer until I can get to the dealership. Thanks for the replies.

I ran across a picture which showed the hose. This photo was an illustration describing how to replace the cam sensor, and stated you had to disconnect the "metal turbo cooling line" and push it to the side to enable removal of the cam sensor. This tutorial also stated this line was only a problem on GT. This is why I am fairly certain it is a turbo cooling line, but? 😕

Also, I do realise the need to get the correct hose installed ASAP! The one I harvested is 1\4" which is probably half the flow! The wife says it fits fine though, it slipped right on? 😂 Yeah, seems fine, untill? Take care all
Old 14 Mar 2015, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Finally, had a chance to visit the local Chrysler dealer for this part. The part I need is a turbo water return line according to the dealer diagram. This part consists of the metal line, and hose as one unit. The cost? $70 bucks! You can no longer purchaset the 8 inch hose as you could some years back. Chrysler decided to combine 3 SKUs (I think there are two metal tubes with the hose in-between) for a more efficient stocking system. I.e., it's not in Cryslers best interest to carry three separate SKUs, monetarily speaking.
Probably a good idea to replace the entire assembly on a vehicle this old, but when it's not feasable, I would like the option to purchase just the hose! Come on Chrysler, charge $20, make the hose available, make some money, and make your customers somewhat happy they can fix their vehicle without further delay.
I will likely order some hose off the internet as this seems to be the only place where 3/8 diameter coolant hose is available, and it's also not ideal because it's synthetic. Anyone have any ideas? I am in a quandary here! Thanks
Old 15 Mar 2015, 06:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

Check here, I'm pretty sure he has one or can get it.
ptcruiserwarehousedenny on eBay

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 15 Mar 2015, 07:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for that lead. I have literally searched hours on end, and have found plenty options to replace that 8" piece of hose, but they're all synthetic. In this application, just 8 inches of relatively thin hose, I don't think there would be much evaporation.
I read about the evaporative properties of synthetic hose, and the recommendation they be used primarily under racing conditions due to water evaporation causing an uneven mixture. I'm clueless how much water evaporates out of an entire system of synthetic hoses, but one short length of hose shouldn't cause a problem. I was set to do the entire system with synthetic until I read that article, and found Goodyear Hi-miler blue hoses which are, supposedly, very good standard replacements. Why Goodyear decided to include just the upper, lower, 2 heater hoses, and not the turbo return line is beyond me.
I haven't looked yet, but to make it easy on me, are there more hoses in the cooling system other than the five mentioned in this thread? There's a water return, is there a water feed hose as well? 😀 Again thanks for all the help.

P.S. Through my searches I have come to realize synthetic hoses are used througout the engine bay in turbo applications, and most sites carrying synthetics always state their attributes in that application. I'm aware of the evaporation of water through these hoses, but is that evaporation such it would cause mixture problems over a 2 year period? If not, I may go with synthetic all around. Any experiences or thoughts on this? Thanks again
Old 06 Aug 2015, 10:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

I know this is an old thread...

but the rubber coolant hose to the turbo is leaking in my '03 GT 5 speed. Is there an easy way to change this out? From the chart in the Chilton's it seems to be the coolant supply line. Even with the air cleaner housing out it is not easy to see it and get your hand on it. Is it easier to go from the bottom? Do you pull the whole thing steel lines and rubber, then replace the rubber and put it back on? I think the steel lines use banjo fittings that would need new washers. Is this easier than i think or harder?

TIA
Old 07 Aug 2015, 03:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I know this is an old thread...

but the rubber coolant hose to the turbo is leaking in my '03 GT 5 speed. Is there an easy way to change this out? From the chart in the Chilton's it seems to be the coolant supply line. Even with the air cleaner housing out it is not easy to see it and get your hand on it. Is it easier to go from the bottom? Do you pull the whole thing steel lines and rubber, then replace the rubber and put it back on? I think the steel lines use banjo fittings that would need new washers. Is this easier than i think or harder?

TIA
Going from the bottom- no way.

Remove the air cleaner box. Disconnect the turbo charge hose from the top and pull it out of the way.

You'll have to drain the coolant.

The hose is held on by two small clamps, one on each end.

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 07 Aug 2015, 05:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TXPTGT View Post
Going from the bottom- no way.

Remove the air cleaner box. Disconnect the turbo charge hose from the top and pull it out of the way.

You'll have to drain the coolant.

The hose is held on by two small clamps, one on each end.
Thanks!

I try to take off as little as possible so I can put everything back together. Doing it that way you just pull the rubber hose? That would be best, but I will take a hack at it this weekend. Not much in it but water at this point.