• 1 Post By wwpptc
  • 1 Post By wwpptc
  • 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By scatgo1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2015, 07:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default New Lifters DOA!?

When I replaced my cams with a stage two I noticed some of my lifters seemed to be frozen. When I removed them from the head for inspection Some of the lifters could easly be pushed and pulled out by hand while others would not move at all even while trying to get them to move with pliers. I just got a new set of DNJ lifter and some will spring in and out about a 1/6 of a inch no problem while others barley move. Did I get some beat lifters or do yo all think all will be fine once I get them installed.

Thanks
Old 17 Mar 2015, 07:37 pm
Banned

Default Re: New Lifters DOA!?

Did you pump up the adjusters (lifters) before installing them?

If you're saying that some of the original lifters plungers (the smaller portion at the top of the lifter) would move in and out of the lifter bodies, then they were in the process of clogging up or they simply drained enough to allow the lifter plunger movement that you discribed. When the lifters are filled correctly they should be basically no movement of the top plunger in and out of the lifter body.

Before installing the lifters you should have dropped each one in a container of fresh oil and pushed the plunger in and out until you get basically no movement in or out.

Jerry
scatgo1 likes this.

Last edited by wwpptc; 17 Mar 2015 at 07:48 pm.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 09:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

So the new lifter that I didnt install yet are good. Some have no movment on the plunger at all. Maybe try to place the ones with a lot of plunge movement in oil ant try to push the plunger in and out to see if it gets more solid?

Last edited by scatgo1; 17 Mar 2015 at 09:37 pm.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 09:48 pm
Banned

Yes, but when reinstalling used lifters you should put them back into the same holes that they were in originally. I'd be willing to bet you didn't keep track? If you did and they do "pump back up" then you are good to go.

I take it that you had no lifter clatter before you pulled them apart?

Jerry
scatgo1 likes this.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 10:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It is a roller lifter it is not necessary to mark the holes and re-install as they were originally operated. That is old school for none roller lifter method of installing old parts. For that mater it is really not even important to mark any of the removed rocker arms because the fact they are roller valve-train components and do not need to return to their original operating area.

It is not necessary to soak the lifters in oil only that they at least are partially pumped up for the initial start up and should have for extra protection assembly lube on the outside during re-installation. Soaking will not achieve that. As already mentioned , it would be best to the manipulate the lifter plunger while it is in oil until it either has no movement or reduced movement. During the start up the lifter will fill within seconds of the engine running.

The OP really needs to better explain with some picture what he is encountering.

The difficult lifter removal based on what was posted first is most likely oil varnish in the lifter bores. When it is encountered a little WD-40 will relieve the varnish and make lifter removal very easy. A very common method in engine machine shops.

As for the new lifters, hundreds have been sold without incident so again I would like to see a bit more information along with some picture before confidently answering further questions.

I always recommend a little assembly lube on all installed valve train components to insure there protection during engine cranking and oil pressure.

The material of the head is aluminum the material of the lifter is harden steel composition. So what is going to wear and take on a wear pattern the head or the lifter? Trick question. If you are an experienced engine builder you will know the answer.
scatgo1 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Mar 2015 at 10:55 pm.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 01:08 am
Regular Cruiser

Sorry if I didn't explain well. Wasn't sure what to call the parts of the lifters. The old lifters came out of the head fine. It was just some plungers were tight as a drum and some could be pulled in and out of the body easy. Same thing with the new ones. Just wanted to make sure the new ones go in the right way. So if I got this right. A tight plunger is ok because it is filled with oil and the ones where a plunger pulls in and out easy just has no oil in it. Right? And it would be best to have little to no play when the new ones go in? PS I always use assembly lube on every thing that I put back together. Lucus oil treatment works great for that . It is VERY sticky so it will stay in place until the oil washes it away. You Just need to be careful where you use it because it is so thick.

Thanks
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by scatgo1; 18 Mar 2015 at 01:29 am.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 07:34 am
Banned

No problem, glad I could help.

Jerry
Old 18 Mar 2015, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
No problem, glad WE could help.

Dalai Lama