PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

 
Like Tree12Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2015, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3
Default Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

well to begin, i have a 2002 pt cruiser limited edition which comes with the gray transponder key

a few days ago, i accidentally broke my key in the ignition while trying to start my car. luckily, i was able to remove the broken piece from the ignition without damaging it at all. right after that, i attempted to start my car with a non transponder key copy that i had made quite some time ago not knowing that doing so would trigger the SKIM immobilizer. the car started and then died 2 seconds later, and did this 3 times. now, the car wont turn over at all, the little red LED on my dash is blinking, and the stealership is telling me they want $120 to "possibly" correct the issue. does anyone know of any way to reset the SKIM module or bypass it altogether? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2015, 10:15 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,904
Default Re: Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadier View Post
well to begin, i have a 2002 pt cruiser limited edition which comes with the gray transponder key

a few days ago, i accidentally broke my key in the ignition while trying to start my car. luckily, i was able to remove the broken piece from the ignition without damaging it at all. right after that, i attempted to start my car with a non transponder key copy that i had made quite some time ago not knowing that doing so would trigger the SKIM immobilizer. the car started and then died 2 seconds later, and did this 3 times. now, the car wont turn over at all, the little red LED on my dash is blinking, and the stealership is telling me they want $120 to "possibly" correct the issue. does anyone know of any way to reset the SKIM module or bypass it altogether? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot
Put the head of the broken transponder key, next to the head of the non transponder key It should start up. The take the two and have a new key cloned at walmart or locksmith.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jun 2015, 11:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,602
Default Re: Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

The sentry key security system will totally disable the car if someone tries to start it with the incorrect key 3 times where the PT Cruiser will start and then die.

I would do what Busted_PT suggests in post #2. If that doesn't work then do the suggestion below.

I have not done this but I would suggest trying this method. To reset the system requires putting a working skim key (Put the head of the broken transponder key, next to the head of the non transponder key put them together with a rubber band) in the ignition to the on position (not starting), and leave it on for an hour. I would strongly suggest hooking up a battery charger so the battery does not go dead. See if that works.
dalandon likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jun 2015, 07:40 am
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,790
Default Re: Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

Here's the Hillbilly way to fix this.

Here's the SKIM module from my 2001 PT.




There's two bolts holding this to the column. Remove those bolts and remove SKIM.




Take some zip ties and fasten the broken head of the grey key in the center of the ring on the SKIM module. Then plug the SKIM back into the wiring harness and instead of putting it back on the column, hide it inside the dash while plugged in.

Now you can forget about SKIM and just use the non-SKIM key. If you have tried to start your PT too many times without the grey key, you will need to turn the ignition on and let the car sit for about an hour as described above.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jun 2015, 09:06 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,904
Default Re: Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
The sentry key security system will totally disable the car if someone tries to start it with the incorrect key 3 times where the PT Cruiser will start and then die.

I would do what Busted_PT suggests in post #2. If that doesn't work then do the suggestion below.

I have not done this but I would suggest trying this method. To reset the system requires putting a working skim key (Put the head of the broken transponder key, next to the head of the non transponder key put them together with a rubber band) in the ignition to the on position (not starting), and leave it on for an hour. I would strongly suggest hooking up a battery charger so the battery does not go dead. See if that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Here's the Hillbilly way to fix this.

Here's the SKIM module from my 2001 PT.




There's two bolts holding this to the column. Remove those bolts and remove SKIM.




Take some zip ties and fasten the broken head of the grey key in the center of the ring on the SKIM module. Then plug the SKIM back into the wiring harness and instead of putting it back on the column, hide it inside the dash while plugged in.

Now you can forget about SKIM and just use the non-SKIM key. If you have tried to start your PT too many times without the grey key, you will need to turn the ignition on and let the car sit for about an hour as described above.
Not sure where the hour thing comes from. There is no delay on this. It's simply a mater of the skim picking up the presence of the correct key. Have done this multiple times Diagnosing a no start problem on another chrysler. And recreating the symptoms on my PT's. Should Hit the first turn without delay. Also went through this with my Stratus on the stereo aux input install.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jun 2015, 09:11 am
VOS's Avatar
VOS VOS is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 248
Default Re: Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Not sure where the hour thing comes from. There is no delay on this. It's simply a mater of the skim picking up the presence of the correct key. Have done this multiple times Diagnosing a no start problem on another chrysler. And recreating the symptoms on my PT's. Should Hit the first turn without delay. Also went through this with my Stratus on the stereo aux input install.
I too didn't have a problem with 3-4 attempts without the SKIM picking up the chip in my key.
During "my fun" finding the PCM was bad, the mechanic removed the SKIM to test the 2 sec run several times.
Once he put it all back together it started fine.
Busted_PT likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jun 2015, 09:16 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,904
Default Re: Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOS View Post
I too didn't have a problem with 3-4 attempts without the SKIM picking up the chip in my key.
During "my fun" finding the PCM was bad, the mechanic removed the SKIM to test the 2 sec run several times.
Once he put it all back together it started fine.
My 04 Pacifica & 03 PT was 6 attempts before no longer turning the starter. The stratus was 3 or 4. Just the difference in programing I guess.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jun 2015, 09:19 am
VOS's Avatar
VOS VOS is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 248
Default Re: Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
My 04 Pacifica & 03 PT was 6 attempts before no longer turning the starter. The stratus was 3 or 4. Just the difference in programing I guess.
I do have the early '01 model
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jun 2015, 09:32 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,904
Default Re: Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOS View Post
I do have the early '01 model
Explains why you had fun finding the pcm. They put them on the firewall in 03 I believe. Instead of the end of the frame rail on your's.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jun 2015, 10:32 am
VOS's Avatar
VOS VOS is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 248
Default Re: Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Explains why you had fun finding the pcm. They put them on the firewall in 03 I believe. Instead of the end of the frame rail on your's.
Mine was on the firewall, but was the old [early] "two connector" computer, or SBEC, verses the NGC.

The "fun" was chasing down my not starting to the PCM, which since changed has been faultless.

Last edited by VOS; 16 Jun 2015 at 10:37 am.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
immobilizer, security, skim


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Immobilizer commosutra Tech & Performance Forum 24 14 Jan 2015 03:10 am
Key SKIM Immobiliser Starting Issue - Where to start bluebossa Tech & Performance Forum 7 10 Aug 2014 06:23 pm
02 PT WONT START sgtwsky Tech & Performance Forum 2 15 Jan 2014 05:39 pm
Help needed: 2007 PT Won't Start: Alarm / RKE Module - SKIM Key Issues bluebossa Tech & Performance Forum 6 05 Oct 2013 11:55 am
02 wont start anthonye559 Tech & Performance Forum 5 20 Sep 2011 11:44 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors