PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2015, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

well to begin, i have a 2002 pt cruiser limited edition which comes with the gray transponder key

a few days ago, i accidentally broke my key in the ignition while trying to start my car. luckily, i was able to remove the broken piece from the ignition without damaging it at all. right after that, i attempted to start my car with a non transponder key copy that i had made quite some time ago not knowing that doing so would trigger the SKIM immobilizer. the car started and then died 2 seconds later, and did this 3 times. now, the car wont turn over at all, the little red LED on my dash is blinking, and the stealership is telling me they want $120 to "possibly" correct the issue. does anyone know of any way to reset the SKIM module or bypass it altogether? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot
Old 15 Jun 2015, 10:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadier View Post
well to begin, i have a 2002 pt cruiser limited edition which comes with the gray transponder key

a few days ago, i accidentally broke my key in the ignition while trying to start my car. luckily, i was able to remove the broken piece from the ignition without damaging it at all. right after that, i attempted to start my car with a non transponder key copy that i had made quite some time ago not knowing that doing so would trigger the SKIM immobilizer. the car started and then died 2 seconds later, and did this 3 times. now, the car wont turn over at all, the little red LED on my dash is blinking, and the stealership is telling me they want $120 to "possibly" correct the issue. does anyone know of any way to reset the SKIM module or bypass it altogether? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot
Put the head of the broken transponder key, next to the head of the non transponder key It should start up. The take the two and have a new key cloned at walmart or locksmith.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Jun 2015, 11:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

The sentry key security system will totally disable the car if someone tries to start it with the incorrect key 3 times where the PT Cruiser will start and then die.

I would do what Busted_PT suggests in post #2. If that doesn't work then do the suggestion below.

I have not done this but I would suggest trying this method. To reset the system requires putting a working skim key (Put the head of the broken transponder key, next to the head of the non transponder key put them together with a rubber band) in the ignition to the on position (not starting), and leave it on for an hour. I would strongly suggest hooking up a battery charger so the battery does not go dead. See if that works.
dalandon likes this.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's the Hillbilly way to fix this.

Here's the SKIM module from my 2001 PT.

There's two bolts holding this to the column. Remove those bolts and remove SKIM.

Take some zip ties and fasten the broken head of the grey key in the center of the ring on the SKIM module. Then plug the SKIM back into the wiring harness and instead of putting it back on the column, hide it inside the dash while plugged in.

Now you can forget about SKIM and just use the non-SKIM key. If you have tried to start your PT too many times without the grey key, you will need to turn the ignition on and let the car sit for about an hour as described above.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 09:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
The sentry key security system will totally disable the car if someone tries to start it with the incorrect key 3 times where the PT Cruiser will start and then die.

I would do what Busted_PT suggests in post #2. If that doesn't work then do the suggestion below.

I have not done this but I would suggest trying this method. To reset the system requires putting a working skim key (Put the head of the broken transponder key, next to the head of the non transponder key put them together with a rubber band) in the ignition to the on position (not starting), and leave it on for an hour. I would strongly suggest hooking up a battery charger so the battery does not go dead. See if that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Here's the Hillbilly way to fix this.

Here's the SKIM module from my 2001 PT.

There's two bolts holding this to the column. Remove those bolts and remove SKIM.

Take some zip ties and fasten the broken head of the grey key in the center of the ring on the SKIM module. Then plug the SKIM back into the wiring harness and instead of putting it back on the column, hide it inside the dash while plugged in.

Now you can forget about SKIM and just use the non-SKIM key. If you have tried to start your PT too many times without the grey key, you will need to turn the ignition on and let the car sit for about an hour as described above.
Not sure where the hour thing comes from. There is no delay on this. It's simply a mater of the skim picking up the presence of the correct key. Have done this multiple times Diagnosing a no start problem on another chrysler. And recreating the symptoms on my PT's. Should Hit the first turn without delay. Also went through this with my Stratus on the stereo aux input install.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jun 2015, 09:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Not sure where the hour thing comes from. There is no delay on this. It's simply a mater of the skim picking up the presence of the correct key. Have done this multiple times Diagnosing a no start problem on another chrysler. And recreating the symptoms on my PT's. Should Hit the first turn without delay. Also went through this with my Stratus on the stereo aux input install.
I too didn't have a problem with 3-4 attempts without the SKIM picking up the chip in my key.
During "my fun" finding the PCM was bad, the mechanic removed the SKIM to test the 2 sec run several times.
Once he put it all back together it started fine.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOS View Post
I too didn't have a problem with 3-4 attempts without the SKIM picking up the chip in my key.
During "my fun" finding the PCM was bad, the mechanic removed the SKIM to test the 2 sec run several times.
Once he put it all back together it started fine.
My 04 Pacifica & 03 PT was 6 attempts before no longer turning the starter. The stratus was 3 or 4. Just the difference in programing I guess.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jun 2015, 09:19 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
My 04 Pacifica & 03 PT was 6 attempts before no longer turning the starter. The stratus was 3 or 4. Just the difference in programing I guess.
I do have the early '01 model
Old 16 Jun 2015, 09:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOS View Post
I do have the early '01 model
Explains why you had fun finding the pcm. They put them on the firewall in 03 I believe. Instead of the end of the frame rail on your's.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jun 2015, 10:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Explains why you had fun finding the pcm. They put them on the firewall in 03 I believe. Instead of the end of the frame rail on your's.
Mine was on the firewall, but was the old [early] "two connector" computer, or SBEC, verses the NGC.

The "fun" was chasing down my not starting to the PCM, which since changed has been faultless.

Last edited by VOS; 16 Jun 2015 at 10:37 am.

Tags
immobilizer, security, skim