PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruiser won't Start, most of the time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2015, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruiser won't Start, most of the time

Hey Everyone...

I've been having some trouble lately with my 2006 PT Cruiser. Whenever I want to start the car, I have to crank it so hard that the key is starting to bend, and also it tends to not want to start in hotter weather (like right now here in Florida).

A friend of ours says that it's either the Starter Relay or the Ignition switch. I'm hoping it's the relay since that seems like a much less complicated fix.

I have a relay that we bought at autozone and I was wondering where the relay is located as this seems to be a serious point of debate between my wife and I, and also how to go ahead and change it.

Thanks for all the help :-)
Old 30 Jul 2015, 04:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Cruiser won't Start, most of the time

If your key is bending because you have turn the the ignition switch that far, I'd look at the ignition switch first...JMO

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 30 Jul 2015, 05:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would like to try and replace the Starter Relay first, just to rule that out before I get that far in (and probably over my head) I just need to know where exactly it's located, since when I google I get a few different spots for it.

Some places say that it's the Tyco Relays that are near the top of the hood by the fender on the driver side, yet every parts store says that that is not the starter relay.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 05:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryz2500 View Post
I would like to try and replace the Starter Relay first, just to rule that out before I get that far in (and probably over my head) I just need to know where exactly it's located, since when I google I get a few different spots for it.

Some places say that it's the Tyco Relays that are near the top of the hood by the fender on the driver side, yet every parts store says that that is not the starter relay.
2006 Engine Compartment.jpg

IMG_20150303_111434.jpg

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 30 Jul 2015, 09:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Turning the key normally should trigger the relay without stress to the key or switch. My guess would be switch, but iv'e seen some a lot of ignition calendars do the same thing when they get worn. If your first and cheapest option in the relay then try that first. I actually miss doing lock cyls because i was so good at it.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 10:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest doing a battery load test first. The PT Cruisers are sensitive to voltage drops. Make sure you are not getting a battery voltage drop through your battery cables. Make sure the battery cable contacts are clean and making good contact. This is the first thing you need to do when you have starting problems.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

The battery is good, we had a load test done a couple of weeks ago, and I just finished changing out the relay, but it still requires a lot of force to start, and I'm gonna try starting it again in the heat to see if there was any change at all.

when it comes to the ignition switch: is it something I can change myself (I'm not a professional mechanic, but I am good with directions and pictures, and I know when I'm in over my head and its time for a professional to do it), or is it something that has to be done by Chrysler?

Last edited by Fryz2500; 01 Aug 2015 at 10:03 am.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 02:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

This should help:
Old 02 Aug 2015, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That doesn't look too hard to do, I'll report back and let you all know how it turns out :-)
Old 03 Aug 2015, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd replace the switch. Sounds like you've got a thermal expansion problem in it and you'll never be able to find it. When it gets hot, it's losing the connection. When it cools off, it'll start. If you're bending the key, then you know it has to be in the switch. And it's not the tumblers in the key hole. It's the switch.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.